Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I bought a new lens and the U.S. post-office lost it
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: I bought a new lens and the U.S. post-office lost it Reply with quote

What to do? How can they lose a one pound lens? Anyone have this happen to them?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully it was insured.
Didn`t happen to me and I hope it will never happen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens is so rare I don't think any amount of insurance can replace it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name,name.
Hint?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, somehow this happens only with rare lenses. Espesially when seller realizes that he made a mistake and sold cheap something that actually costs much more. It can also happen with lenses sold very cheap, for the same reason.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you have a shipment tracking number???

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
Yes, somehow this happens only with rare lenses. Espesially when seller realizes that he made a mistake and sold cheap something that actually costs much more. It can also happen with lenses sold very cheap, for the same reason.

Bawahaaaaaa Embarassed Crying or Very sad Sad...................................

Tracking says it made it to the post office but they can't find it. Am I losing my senses? Sad.................................

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i share your grief...i'm still waiting for the lens i bought in November

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too feel your pain - from a buyer and seller's perspective.

Never, in all the time I've been buying and selling online, have I had so much get lost/stolen.

Am currently awaiting two items from the US - tracking number tells me they were received at the post office in January (different dates and different states), but zero news Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newton wrote:
Bawahaaaaaa Embarassed Crying or Very sad Sad...................................

Tracking says it made it to the post office but they can't find it. Am I losing my senses? Sad.................................

The Post Office is notorious for "loosing" items.
But in reality, the stuff often gets stolen.

I hope you can recovery your money through insurance.

PS. this has happen to as well about 2 years ago on a collectible that I purchased ridiculously cheap on eBay. I don't know why, but it was "lost" in transit and I never got any money back for it either. it was an international shipment. - sucks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a lens but a USPS story, about a package I sent from Michigan to the UK for my family's Xmas.. in early November.. The Post Office charged me for 'International - Tracked' and when it failed to arrive after 3 - 4 weeks I asked them where it might be?

They replied the tracking only extends to US borders! So much for the international bit..

Then they tried to blame the Royal Mail saying that (their fucking arrogance astounds) 'they use the wrong kind of tracking abroad so it is not compatible with ours' - by abroad apparently they meant anywhere else!!

The package DID eventually arrive - not in the UK but back with me in Michigan - some many months later. IT HAD NEVER LEFT THE USA it had spent, it seems, its Xmas vacation at JFK then done a farewell tour of the East coast and mid-West! I loathe the USPS with a passion, but UPS are now so pricey for foreign shipping it seems we are stuck with them?

Doug

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I share your grief too .... hope finally they find it.

My Biometar 80mm is still somewhere out there too .. it has been 2 months Sad

Luckily my Helios guardian angel did his job well ... my 40-2 85/1.5 arrived safely and in good condition ... Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They found it! I had to be very persistent. It was entirely the fault of the post office. It took the whole day to track down! What nonsense!

I hope everyone gets their lenses back. Thank you for the help!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my 14 years of buying and selling on eBay, I never once had an item lost, excerpt until just recently, and almost every item I shipped, I used the US Post Office for this chore. The single exception was an item I sold to a problem buyer in Germany and I am more than just a little bit convinced that it was not lost at all, but that she just decided to screw me, using eBay's anti-seller stance to do it. So for me, there has never been a problem with the USPS, and if that item was indeed lost, well it was Germany's postal service that lost it, I'll wager, and not the USPS.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
In my 14 years of buying and selling on eBay, I never once had an item lost, excerpt until just recently, and almost every item I shipped, I used the US Post Office for this chore. The single exception was an item I sold to a problem buyer in Germany and I am more than just a little bit convinced that it was not lost at all, but that she just decided to screw me, using eBay's anti-seller stance to do it. So for me, there has never been a problem with the USPS, and if that item was indeed lost, well it was Germany's postal service that lost it, I'll wager, and not the USPS.
I don't think that tracked and insured parcels are simply lost without a record. In the Germanic states, one has to counter-sign when receiving such post anyways. So there'd be hard evidence whether your client has received the parcel, or not.

I'm still waiting for my adapters from big_is, hope they didn't get lost on the way to good ol' England. Who know's, might be the tsunami's fault...

Quote:
They found it! I had to be very persistent. It was entirely the fault of the post office. It took the whole day to track down! What nonsense!
Wonderful Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I have found USPS tracking on First Class Mail or Priority Mail packages to be less careful than tracking by UPS or FedEx for their services. Some USPS packages drop off the tracking radar for weeks and then turn up. Sometimes a package gets to the destination post office but gets mixed in somehow with outgoing mail, returning finally to the destination post office after a long side trip.

2. I once won a nice zoom lens on eBay for $1 plus shipping, only it didn't arrive despite a [false] ship date I pried out of the seller. After I finally started an action through eBay to resolve the problem, the package magically arrived, postmarked well after the date the seller had said he sent it. I guess he had wanted to renege on the deal but changed his mind.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, I've a lens coming over from the States at the moment (drooly emoticon, more to come) and it has been posted by USPS. Now, the USPS tracking has so far worked fine up to point it left the USA...and...it's now tracking the lens' progress in the UK too! So, shock horror, it looks like USPS IS compatible with Royal Mail's system after all Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Interestingly, I've a lens coming over from the States at the moment (drooly emoticon, more to come) and it has been posted by USPS. Now, the USPS tracking has so far worked fine up to point it left the USA...and...it's now tracking the lens' progress in the UK too! So, shock horror, it looks like USPS IS compatible with Royal Mail's system after all Laughing

On this note, items shipped to me (in Canada) from US can be tracked at USPS or Canada Post with the same tracking number once the package reaches the border. I use both sites if I'm particularly bored to see where things are at. You probably can do the same thing.

K.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramiller500 wrote:
1. I have found USPS tracking on First Class Mail or Priority Mail packages to be less careful than tracking by UPS or FedEx for their services. Some USPS packages drop off the tracking radar for weeks and then turn up. Sometimes a package gets to the destination post office but gets mixed in somehow with outgoing mail, returning finally to the destination post office after a long side trip.

2. I once won a nice zoom lens on eBay for $1 plus shipping, only it didn't arrive despite a [false] ship date I pried out of the seller. After I finally started an action through eBay to resolve the problem, the package magically arrived, postmarked well after the date the seller had said he sent it. I guess he had wanted to renege on the deal but changed his mind.

Who was this seller? That sounds horrible! What was the lens? Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:
I loathe the USPS with a passion, but UPS are now so pricey for foreign shipping it seems we are stuck with them?

Otoh, I have had excellent service from USPS and sometimes ordinary 1st Class International arrives from the USA in as little as 3 days. UPS, I wouldn't piss on them, as they tend to stiff you for duties to inflate their own revenues, via 'collection fees'.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped using UPS almost a decade ago after they were ripping me off across the Canadian-U.S. border and after they lost and broke some very valuable belongings, while not honoring the insurance that I had placed on the items. It was like total H**** to go through.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:
Not a lens but a USPS story, about a package I sent from Michigan to the UK for my family's Xmas.. in early November.. The Post Office charged me for 'International - Tracked' and when it failed to arrive after 3 - 4 weeks I asked them where it might be?

They replied the tracking only extends to US borders! So much for the international bit..

Then they tried to blame the Royal Mail saying that (their fucking arrogance astounds) 'they use the wrong kind of tracking abroad so it is not compatible with ours' - by abroad apparently they meant anywhere else!!

The package DID eventually arrive - not in the UK but back with me in Michigan - some many months later. IT HAD NEVER LEFT THE USA it had spent, it seems, its Xmas vacation at JFK then done a farewell tour of the East coast and mid-West! I loathe the USPS with a passion, but UPS are now so pricey for foreign shipping it seems we are stuck with them?

Doug

The Customs slip gives the overseas tracking number and usually for me works very well. Don't have to pay any extra for the tracking.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very recent story. In February 2010 I ordered a custom chip from Norway to modify an MF lens for use on a Nikon D40. This wasn't the first item I'd ordered and had no previous problems. After about 6 weeks, I contacted the seller to tell him the chip never arrived. He sent another one. It arrived in a timely manner and worked fine. Problem solved.

The original chip just arrived today.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now you get two chips! LOL. That's awesome!!! I am trying to figure out a way to make these chips on my own. I don't think it is that sophisticated a circuit but it is pretty cryptic. They charge too much money for these! I ordered something a week ago and the vendor said they mailed it but I never got it. I called them up and they said they will send me another set; hopefully, I will get lucky like you and the original order will come in, along with the newer set. Anyways, once again, something is lost in the mail....for now.