Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

how to get an interesting look and shallow DOF
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: how to get an interesting look and shallow DOF Reply with quote

Yesterday I made an interesting experiment, look at the results and guess what my intention was and what I did? Wink

The only thing I will tell you is that I used my Pentax K10d (APSC) and a Leitz Summicron 90 @F2.

Have a nice day!

Timo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mixed lighting? Looks like incandescent on your (camera) left side, to warm skin tones?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, but I did not mean colors tones or lighting issues, this time I simply did not care about this. It was something else I have tried.

Let`s have a look on a crop:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I am wrong, but it looks kind of wide to me for 90mm on crop.

Did you take several pictures and stitched them together? Panorama-like?
That would explain the wide fov and one could also achieve pretty shallow dof.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats it.

My intention was to get a kind of "medium format look-a-like",
so i tried to make a pano from a very near subject.
It was surprisingly easy to stitch the 16 images because I did not have any problems with non matching perspectives as I had expected.
The only tool I used was a simple tripod no pano head.

Timo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool work - near distance pano.
Will give it a trial, too.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been planning to do this for quite a while now, but have been too lazy to actually do it.

Came out pretty well.
How much time between the first and the last picture? I imagine it might be hard for the model to not move a bit. She probably shouldn't even breathe. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I needed only one minute to take the sixteen pictures. Yes she was not allowed to move but after I had taken the first three rows I allowed her to move her eyes and her head again. At all I imagined it to be a bigger problem.

Timo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice! I was just doing that today on a shoot, managed to get very nice look with crop senzor. Photoshop photomerge method is very good these days.

Second thing you could do is to make compositing of few images with different focus points...you could make an entire image out of focus and than make a mask for let say legs and background. You could use slow 35mm for that, but compositing masks would show some errors on edges

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice experiment, great results!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quick & dirty way:

A fast wide lens and a closeup adapter.

For instance, Vivitar 24/2 and +1 dioptre meniscus.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I guessed it immediately. It's the (in?)famous Branizer method, the Photoshop channel on Facebook posted a link to the concept and tutorial two days ago:

http://blog.buiphotography.com/2009/07/the-brenizer-method-explained-with-directions/

I have to say that you did it more moderately than the samples in the tutorial - which I appreciate, because in my mind the tutorial examples are on the "heavy" side.
I am of the school of thought that effects and tricks should be used but not perceived.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my first attempt. Just 4 pictures with old preset Takumar 135 f3,5 and Pentax K20d. Lens was wide open and my girlfriend was 2m away.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dfujevec wrote:
Here is my first attempt. Just 4 pictures with old preset Takumar 135 f3,5 and Pentax K20d. Lens was wide open and my girlfriend was 2m away.

I think you got something wider than full frame image. But good experimet. Girlfried had to be very patient. I should also try it =)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another one, my neighbours car, a vintage Porsche. Stitched from 60 images, captured with K10D & Summicron 90 @ 4, processed with PS CS3.
The Result is a 98mpix image.

Timo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timo832000 wrote:
Here is another one, my neighbours car, a vintage Porsche. Stitched from 60 images, captured with K10D & Summicron 90 @ 4, processed with PS CS3.
The Result is a 98mpix image.

Timo

Nice, must have been a full day work? Very Happy

I like this stitching technique Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love that Porsche. Cool

I've started playing with this method some time ago.

This is shot with the 5D MKII with Tak SMC 50 1.4 wide open and about 40 shots.(damn sky was blown out and I missed it)

1951 Nash Canadian Statesman

...and this one more recently with 5D MKII and Canon 70-200 2.8 wide open and about 60 shots all merged in CS5.

Rock

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

old railway:

Pentax K10D + Leitz Elmarit 2.8/135 @F8, stitched from 70 images, cropped.

Timo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspirational thread.

I have a Soligar 135 f/2 c/d I really want to try this with outdoors. It has a very shallow DOF wide open.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timo832000 wrote:
old railway:

Pentax K10D + Leitz Elmarit 2.8/135 @F8, stitched from 70 images, cropped.

Timo

Wow! I really like it!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBaker wrote:

1951 Nash Canadian Statesman

Lovely!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow !
That's a great topic !

Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, nobody likes my suggestion of a fast wide lens with a +1 dioptre closeup meniscus strapped on? Bother...

NOTE: I eagerly await the arrival of a Vivitar-Kiron 24/2 so I can try this myself.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RioRico wrote:
So, nobody likes my suggestion of a fast wide lens with a +1 dioptre closeup meniscus strapped on? Bother...

NOTE: I eagerly await the arrival of a Vivitar-Kiron 24/2 so I can try this myself.

I'd love to see it.

If it's really good we can call it the "riorico technique"!

I also eagerly await a 24 f/2, though it's an nFD. My kiron 28 is quite good.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RioRico wrote:

I saw very good pictures taken by Bryan Peterson with a Nikkor 12-24mm + canon 500D close-up lens.