Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hoods for MIR-24M & Industar-50
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Hoods for MIR-24M & Industar-50 Reply with quote

Anyone have any suggestions for hoods for these lenses (particularly the Mir which I love using but it flares very easily)? The Mir (f2/35mm) has 58mm filter thread and 60mm OD for a slip-on and the Indy has 36mm thread and 37mm OD. I was wondering if there are any hoods for other lenses that might fit, or maybe I could make a hood out of something else, the neck of a bottle maybe. How do you work out the length and outside diameter needed?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Hoods for MIR-24M & Industar-50 Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Anyone have any suggestions for hoods for these lenses (particularly the Mir which I love using but it flares very easily)? The Mir (f2/35mm) has 58mm filter thread and 60mm OD for a slip-on and the Indy has 36mm thread and 37mm OD. I was wondering if there are any hoods for other lenses that might fit, or maybe I could make a hood out of something else, the neck of a bottle maybe. How do you work out the length and outside diameter needed?

I would use www.lenshoods.co.uk as a starting point for angles and depths before buying any.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave. I don't think the custom hoods feature is ready on that site yet. I found out the MIR-24M has a view angle of 66°, so by trig I worked out that a hood with 58mm dia filter thread and 30mm projection needs to be 100mm dia at the wide end. That gives me a start!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best hoods shop on Ebay:
http://tinyurl.com/ye48lh2

the fifth from the bottom (metal) will do fine i.m.o., or you can buy a gummi one and cut it to your need.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a Hoya 3 stage rubber hood (62mm) recently. Very impressed with quality.
bb2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Best hoods shop on Ebay:

http://tinyurl.com/ye48lh2

the fifth from the bottom (metal) will do fine i.m.o., or you can buy a gummi one and cut it to your need.

Thanks Orio, that's a great resource worth knowing about. I've ordered the metal one as you suggested.

For the Industar I'm wondering if there is a Leica style slip-on hood that might fit. I have a 32mm Actina slip-on hood, possibly for a cine-camera, and obviously it's too small for the I-50 but something like that would be ideal. I'll keep watch.

Last edited by peterqd on Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a reply yesterday but it seems to have vanished overnight! , the original hoods for the Industar can be got from Alex photo goods on ebay, but check the size of your filter ring as there are at least 2, 34mm and 35.5mm. They are plastic and push on- he also has the hoods for Jupiter 9 and Tair11 as well. I have posted some pics of the hood somewhere on the forum, during a previous discussion http://forum.mflenses.com/flare-issues-with-the-industar-50-t21975,highlight,industar.htmlD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poolhall wrote:
I posted a reply yesterday but it seems to have vanished overnight! , the original hoods for the Industar can be got from Alex photo goods on ebay, but check the size of your filter ring as there are at least 2, 34mm and 35.5mm. They are plastic and push on- he also has the hoods for Jupiter 9 and Tair11 as well. I have posted some pics of the hood somewhere on the forum, during a previous discussion http://forum.mflenses.com/flare-issues-with-the-industar-50-t21975,highlight,industar.html

Bingo! Thanks Poolhall, just what I was looking for. I feel guilty now that I didn't do a search, I see there have been several threads on this fairly recently.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="peterqd"]
Orio wrote:
Best hoods shop on Ebay:

This hood arrived this morning. Quite nice quality but there's a small amount of vignetting. This is despite the seller stating it's suitable for 35mm and longer lenses! Grrrr..

I don't like rubber hoods but it looks like the only option.

Last edited by peterqd on Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the hood from Agfa APX -can. Looks good but still lowish contrast. FF - I wonder is it too short. Was longer but vignetted slightly.

EDIT: also the inside is plastic, not matte. Might cause reflections.

handheld

100%, not sure if focused right

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one of these on order with Alex (a.k.a. hk300) Will let you know how it turns out. Need it for 46mm OD lens.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for my indy 50 i made a hood out of an ilford xp2 black plastic film can, using a circle cut from the can about 1/4 inch in depth. it is a nice friction fit inside the indy's aperture ring, and there in NO vignetting ... Very Happy