Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My dream camera...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject: My dream camera... Reply with quote

Seen in eBay.
So cheap, but at this time I got too much stock on cameras to be fixed/tested/used, so I've got fun for months.
But next year, when all the pending work will be finished, I'll go for one of these nice Kiev88:

Click here to see on Ebay

Best regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

That seller doesn't have the best rating and its not in UE, so might be added some extra custom charges. About the Kiev88, I think it has a different lens mount then Kiev60/Pentacon 6 so these lens will not fit on it. There is an Arax version with P6 mount but its very expensive, even its new (see links forum at Shops section).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

montecarlo wrote:
Hello,

That seller doesn't have the best rating and its not in UE, so might be added some extra custom charges. About the Kiev88, I think it has a different lens mount then Kiev60/Pentacon 6 so these lens will not fit on it. There is an Arax version with P6 mount but its very expensive, even its new (see links forum at Shops section).

Hi Cosmin!.
You're right. And this seller won't accept Paypal, and the prices are suspiciously low for all the items to sell. Not to buy it, just to point the kind of camera I'd love to have in the future, a Hasselblad like one with the fun of the russian makes.

I had the opportunity to buy for 550€ a full equipment from a local colleague that was retiring consisting in a suitcase setup to contain:

One Mamiya 645 with motion, pentaprism and viewfinder with a 75mm 1,8 lens. Another Mamiya 645 with motion, viewfinder, petaprism AE with a 150mm lens. Two film holders of 220 and one of 120.
Both with the motors and the hand straps for them. A light meter.
Both Mamiyas had the protection for the speed selector and all the lenses were of the ones with the fast selection lever.

I was in doubt, because I lack from space. My flat is very small, and at any time I put something in, there is a family argument to choose which other thing has to be out Wink

When finally decided to go, the pack was sold. I think it was an excellent opportunity, and every day I wonder on what I could have done with that equipment... But I saved from a family wrangle....

Now I'm devoted to the wonderful smaller rangefinders and nobody notices the new members of the family when they first come inside my backpack Laughing

Thanks for your indications, I'll take them into account. I would look at Pentacon 6 cameras in the future. But by now I've to resurrect a lot of excellent smallies.

Today, being sunny and warm, I'll go for a walk to see if I can finish my first roll with the Zenith 122 and to start shooting with the FED-2 and my "brain lightmeter". I'm still laughing at myself when I thingk of it....

Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One think I like about some medium format cameras is that they have separate backs (film or digitals).
A Kiev88/Hassy like MF camera, with a P6 mount would be pretty good. May be, one day, will be there on the market, some cheap (very cheap) digital backs too (~500-600 euros). Now, that would be nice.
Here where I live no photolab is processing medium format films (unless I make my own ones in the case of B&W) Sad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

montecarlo wrote:
One think I like about some medium format cameras is that they have separate backs (film or digitals).
A Kiev88/Hassy like MF camera, with a P6 mount would be pretty good. May be, one day, will be there on the market, some cheap (very cheap) digital backs too (~500-600 euros). Now, that would be nice.
Here where I live no photolab is processing medium format films (unless I make my own ones in the case of B&W) Sad

Not long ago I went looking for such a digital backup. At that time I was thinking on "turn digital" some of the 35mm oldies, just to avoid the film shortage and keep using them. I'm still on the idea, not starting from a digital backup now, but from a simple pocket digital camera. I still keep my 2,1 Mpix Minolta and a 3,2 Mpix Aimptek Slim3000. The Minolta has limitted optics, and the Slim just a minimal fixed single lens. But sensors on both are quite good. If I can "hybridate" the back cover to allow placing the sensor and the whole electronics inside, at the film level and route in some way the controls to the old ones, maybe we could get nice results...
Specially the Slim has a wonderful colour quality:

But this is still an idea, or a desire...
I haven't put yet anything in practice. Old digitals will become collector items some day... Wink

Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito,
I've bought from this seller, my first J37A came from him. He's in Canada
but has a "pipeline" to the Ukraine. I remember paying him in Canada
and the package came from the Ukraine, arrived in perfect condition, as
advertised.

I've seen that TTL viewfinder go for more than $60 on ebay.

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
montecarlo wrote:

Not long ago I went looking for such a digital backup. At that time I was thinking on "turn digital" some of the 35mm oldies, just to avoid the film shortage and keep using them. I'm still on the idea, not starting from a digital backup now, but from a simple pocket digital camera. I still keep my 2,1 Mpix Minolta and a 3,2 Mpix Aimptek Slim3000. The Minolta has limitted optics, and the Slim just a minimal fixed single lens. But sensors on both are quite good. If I can "hybridate" the back cover to allow placing the sensor and the whole electronics inside, at the film level and route in some way the controls to the old ones, maybe we could get nice results...
Specially the Slim has a wonderful colour quality:

But this is still an idea, or a desire...
I haven't put yet anything in practice. Old digitals will become collector items some day... Wink

Best regards,
Jes.

I was hoping for years that Digital Film would turn out to be more than vapourware. DF was a venture set up to produce digital backs or inserts for 35mm film cameras, but while it was an idea with some merit, it died in the water when the major cameral makers surpassed it and prices dropped to affordable levels.

Otoh, doing it as homebrew has a certain appeal. I'd love to get my old OM1 working digitally.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
I'd love to get my old OM1 working digitally.

Converting to digital old reflex bodies could be the business of the century if the technology was readily available to third parties.

For instance, I would IMMEDIATELY have a Contax 167MT and a Nikon FM2 converted to digital.

-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Farside wrote:

Converting to digital old reflex bodies could be the business of the century if the technology was readily available to third parties.

For instance, I would IMMEDIATELY have a Contax 167MT and a Nikon FM2 converted to digital.

-

With the FE, FM, FM2, FM2n, FM2Ti, FM3 all sharing the same back a digital back would sell well if they could keep it below 500 euros - would probably do fairly well if it cost more...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Farside wrote:

-

From the technical point of view, shouldn't be too difficult. The only limitation is the current sensors "standard" sizes. Having full-frame sensors is not easy, a few machines do wear one (the Canon 5D for instance). Adapting smaller sensors could be feasible, using only the central part of the optics. We've just to get some feedback from the camera about when the shutter is opened and closed. I think everyday in this issue... Like the digital backups for the big format cameras.

Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could have a Contax 167MT converted to full frame digital with CMOS sensor, I would sell my 5D instantaneously.

-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Silicon Films Reply with quote

May be if this one would have been further developed.... http://www.dpreview.com/news/0209/02091903siliconfilmagain.asp ( http://www.dpreview.com/news/0102/01021404pma04.asp#siliconfilm )
who knows where would be now ?!