Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I might go digital
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: I might go digital Reply with quote

I'm starting to get the hump with my film setup. The latest thing to annoy me is my scanner leaving lines across every frame.

So, the question is what do I get? I hate cropped sensors, but my budget won't get near a Canon 5D, so I'm going to have to bite the bullet for a few years and put up with APSC sized.

Here is my short list:

Pentax K110d or Canon EOS 350D.

I have a mix of M42 and PB mount lenses. Logic suggests a 350D as Alex does both adaptors.

I have owned a K110d and K100d in the past and liked the IQ of the K110d (the K100d was slightly less sharp). I have never owned a EOS 350D but like the idea of higher resolution when I copy 120 negs. I am not too bothered about the Canon build quality, I only need this thing to last a year or two.

My budget is GBP 175.00 maximum, this is what I can raise with sale of unwanted/redundant gear.

I am interested to know what the 'procedure' is for metering with the Canon. I know with the Pentax it was easy as pressing the button on the back.

Unbiased suggestions and guidance would be gratefully recieved Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you wouldn't be wrong with any of these cameras.
Canon has the advantage of being able to mount more MF lenses.
Pentax has the advantage of a better build.
I can not speak of Pentax models, about Canon, I would suggest that you go for a 400D instead of a 350D. The price difference would not be big. The 400D has a larger LCD, which allows for better previews, and has 2 MP more resolution, and the buttons operational design is more friendly.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I can not speak of Pentax models, about Canon, I would suggest that you go for a 400D instead of a 350D.

Is a 20D an option? The larger and better viewfinder alone is worth the difference!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeyore_nl wrote:
Orio wrote:
I can not speak of Pentax models, about Canon, I would suggest that you go for a 400D instead of a 350D.

Is a 20D an option? The larger and better viewfinder alone is worth the difference!

I fear not Crying or Very sad Even finding a 350D within budget is not easy, but will keep looking for 400D. 20D is just too expensive Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 10D might be within budget too. And about the 350/400D, I'd say the only difference in practice is the bigger LCD which is nice to have. The additional 2mp isn't a big difference (8 vs 10), and otherwise both cameras are very similar. Well, and the average 350D will be older and maybe it will have had some more use than the average 400D. All in all, no big difference.

Anyway, whichever camera you choose, I suggest that you get a focusing screen for it. It's a real a pain to focus without one, you'll get half your shots misfocused (i think that's the average result people get). Focus confirmation adapters are not as good as a good focusing screen, for what i've heard here (I have a split prism screen but no chipped adapters).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of the ones you mention would be good. I can personally recommend a 10D for build quality, and you'll certainly find one for less than your budget now, but they are getting on a bit and have a small LCD, so if you can stretch to a 20D, it would be all the better.

A K100D @ 6mp means you'd be ok with 6, so a 10D gives you all the lens compatibility you need. Otoh, the K100D has IS, which I find bloody useful and is the main reason I bought a K10D. Additionally, a K100D takes AA batteries, which is bloody useful out and about.

I suppose it's what you find locally /online for the best price. Only problem is, PB lenses on PK, is no go.

Luckily, I now have both, so I'm ok. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham
Congrats on the choice to jump over to the chimppy side Wink
There are a few 10d cameras at KEH for as little as $225 for a bargain one up to $350 for like new.
20d starts areound $275.
I would be happy to come out of Relat retirement when I get back to Washington if it helps you.

As for 6mp vs 8/10.
I've gone back to 6 with the RD1.
Sometimes I think the output is better than others I have seen at 10 or higher.
Surely you can print large enough on most occasions with 6mp.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Any of the ones you mention would be good. I can personally recommend a 10D for build quality, and you'll certainly find one for less than your budget now, but they are getting on a bit and have a small LCD, so if you can stretch to a 20D, it would be all the better.

The only thing that you need the screen for really, is the histogram and reading the menu. Both are OK on a 10D.
Of course the 10D doesn't take EF-S lenses, but I doubt if that is a problem for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, going by Fleabay auctions, even 350D are going for over my budget. That's illogical! There are some stupid people paying some stupid prices.

Looking around dealer sites, they are asking around 165 to 225 GBP for 350D and 250 upwards for 400D. Pentax K10d seems to be very much "think of a number". I just saw a Samsung GX1L go for over 200 quid - unbelievable!

I've decided to go with Canon, for no other reason than size/weight. I'll tolerate the plastic. I also want to share lenses with the Praktica B-series bodies. It's not an option to have two of all lenses anymore.

I'll start emailing all the dealers. For once I'm avoiding ebay, I just can't afford to win anything usable there.

So, back to part of the original question, what's the metering procedure on a Canon with manual lenses? Straightforward?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:

So, back to part of the original question, what's the metering procedure on a Canon with manual lenses? Straightforward?

Not on a x00 series camera, unfortunately.
You will have to make some test to determine how much to compensate based on the aperture.
I have found that compensating -1/3rd exposure for every f/stop you stop down usually works.
The starting point will be determined by the value set in the AF chip if you use a AF chip adapter.
Most standard AF chips come at a f/2 burned aperture. Which means that at f/2 your meter will work correctly, at f/1.4 you will have to apply a +1/3rd compensation, at f/2.8 a -1/3rd compensation, at f/4 a -2/3rd compensation, and so on...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon 10D
Even the dealers are selling them for just on your budget.
http://www.waltersphotovideo.co.uk/category/used-canon-digital-slrs/475/0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0/1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:

Not on a x00 series camera, unfortunately.
You will have to make some test to determine how much to compensate based on the aperture.
I have found that compensating -1/3rd exposure for every f/stop you stop down usually works.
The starting point will be determined by the value set in the AF chip if you use a AF chip adapter.
Most standard AF chips come at a f/2 burned aperture. Which means that at f/2 your meter will work correctly, at f/1.4 you will have to apply a +1/3rd compensation, at f/2.8 a -1/3rd compensation, at f/4 a -2/3rd compensation, and so on...

That sounds like a complete PITA! I'd hate that, really really hate that!

Ok, I have put the brakes on. I'm not getting a Canon!

Is that the same for all Canon dSLR?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Canon 10D
Even the dealers are selling them for just on your budget.
http://www.waltersphotovideo.co.uk/category/used-canon-digital-slrs/475/0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0/1

Walters, of course! I had completely forgotten about Walters.

Thanks for the nudge Cool

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a couple ist dS cameras go for $200-ish USD recently. I know it's old but the Canon 10D is older Laughing

Also remember that Canons don't have the "digital preview" so you have to take a picture if you're not sure about exposure, and that takes up space on your memory card. And of course no "Green Button/AE-L" equivalent button to set exposure.

I'm glad having moved from Canon to Pentax overall. Only reason I'd get something like a 40D/5D would be to mess around with other lenses that can't fit on the Pentaxes...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax 1st DS and Olympus E-1 or E300 my budget suggestion.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not completely sure, but I thought the 10D and 20D shared a small LCD and only the 30D introduced a larger one?

I would not go for either mind you - I'd buy a cheap Oly e330 or e500 / 510 Olympus coz then you can mount anything! I have had Canons, and have 3 Pentax bodies istD, K10D and K20D but it's the Olympus (520) and Panasonic (L-1) bodies that get most use.. You can get a 500 or a 501 for not a lot here.. a body only 510 went for 198 dollars yesterday.. that's what, about 135 pounds?

Doug

Farside wrote:

A K100D @ 6mp means you'd be ok with 6, so a 10D gives you all the lens compatibility you need. Otoh, the K100D has IS, which I find bloody useful and is the main reason I bought a K10D. Additionally, a K100D takes AA batteries, which is bloody useful out and about.

I suppose it's what you find locally /online for the best price. Only problem is, PB lenses on PK, is no go.

Luckily, I now have both, so I'm ok. Smile

Last edited by nemesis101 on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:
I am not completely sure, but I thought the 10D and 20D shared a small LCD and only the 30D introduced a larger one?

Yes, my 20D also has a small LCD. Which is no problem at all in practice (it doesn't have liveview anyway).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dank u!

tot ziens,

Doug.

(ja, spreek ik het Nederlands)

eeyore_nl wrote:
nemesis101 wrote:

Yes, my 20D also has a small LCD. Which is no problem at all in practice (it doesn't have liveview anyway).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have seen 350d going for EUR180 and 400d going for EUR240 locally in HK in good conditions.

Because of the new 500d, a lot of 350/400/450d users are dumping their camera bodies.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. I thought I had settled on Canon, but the PITA metering with MF lenses would just make me crazy. Unfortunately that is the only option for my PB lenses. Olympus I like a lot, but that 2x crop factor is just no good to me at all.

It kind of brings me back to Pentax. That will be ok for my M42, and I recently sold all my Pentax stuff Confused

I may wait a while and aim for a K-m. It seems quite small, but I can find no news of how well/badly it works with MF lenses. Some Pentax have had issues in the past. Will research more.

Thanks again for all comments and suggestions, it has all been valuable Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 300d and 2 x Sonys. I have found it far harder getting the exposure right on the 300d, but not impossible. You really need to underexpose with it. My biggest problem with that camera, however, is speed. It's slooooooow! You can only take a few at a time, and reviewing pictures is impossible. That said, it's still usable, just not that convenient.

The Sony a100 and a200 are far newer cameras, but you can tell! Bigger screen, lightening fast operation.

That said, I have had very good results from all three cameras. It's really all about what you are prepared to put up with!

N.b. If us nutters used the cameras properly, with AF lenses, we'd be having no problems at all and should remember that Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't even considered Sony. Are they quick and easy to meter with MF lenses?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. I thought I had settled on Canon, but the PITA metering with MF lenses would just make me crazy.

As far as I know, is not that much better when using other camera brands with manual lenses... maybe they just don't talk about it so much... fact is, today's DSLR do not meter light values directly, they compare how much light goes in with the aperture value given by the electronic contacts and calculate accordingly. Since manual focus lenses use adapters that either have no chip, or they have a fixed aperture chip, here's that any light metering that is taken at a real aperture that is different from what the chip (or lack thereof) says gives an incorrect value.

As far as I know all current DSLR meter light this way, so I really doubt that you will have a much better manual focus lens light reading result using non-Canon DSLRs...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. I thought I had settled on Canon, but the PITA metering with MF lenses would just make me crazy. Unfortunately that is the only option for my PB lenses. Olympus I like a lot, but that 2x crop factor is just no good to me at all.

That's funny ... the metering does not annoy me at all on my 20D. Sure, you need to compensate a bit (usually between +2/3 at f/2 and -1 at f/16), but with some practice and the histogram, that isn't bothersome at all. At least not for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeyore_nl wrote:

That's funny ... the metering does not annoy me at all on my 20D. Sure, you need to compensate a bit (usually between +2/3 at f/2 and -1 at f/16), but with some practice and the histogram, that isn't bothersome at all. At least not for me.

Yeah. As usual, things boil down to "get to know your tools"...

I think there is a bit of perseverance in speaking badly about Canon at all costs... maybe because they are so succesful. I am by no means a Canon diehard - I just use them because they give me what I need. I can see the points where Canon DSLR are weak (build and sealing, for instance). However I can not believe that the other cameras are oh so much better in basic things like light metering. If it was so, then pros would not use Canon as much as they do.