Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

D90 info from someone who should be reliable...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: D90 info from someone who should be reliable... Reply with quote

http://www.bythom.com/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some observations of mine
-But they recently released the 16-85 VR lens. Now another one ?
-Maybe that microphone is made to make some short comment on the photos not for filming.
Other than these the rest seems to be "like expected" (the 12Mpx (D300 & Sony A700) sensor too). Weather-sealing is missing unlike Pentax for cameras.

If I'll win at lottery I'll buy some nice AF lens Embarassed ( 16-50 , 50-135 , 200 all with f:2.8 and weather sealed ) together with the Pentax K20D Smile
Maybe the two Pentax pancake lens, the 21mm and 70mm would be great for street shooting.
Ok, that's it about AF lens Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://nikonrumors.com/2008/08/11/nikon-d90-kit-price-129999-you-can-almost-order-it.aspx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond90/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the in-camera JPEGs from the D90 benefit from CA reduction, since the NEF files show more CA
http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1219889084.html

Presumably Capture NX2 will also applythe CA reduction. This feature is not listed in the Nikon promotional materials.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The D90 looks like a great size (not much bigger than my D40) with several key D300-like advantages (higher sensitivity at lower noise, liveview, better viewfinder, great screen) and new features (HD video clips, GPS). Oh and it has more megapixels.

The one feature it lacks, for myself a deal breaker, is AI and AIS compatibility.

Video is MF only by the way, which has already confused some MF-unaware folks Smile

So it still looks as if a D300 is my only upgrade path (D200 has AI and AIS compatibility but also has the noisy, less sensitive 10Mpx sensor used in the D40x, D60, D80, has no liveview).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
The D90 looks like a great size (not much bigger than my D40) with several key D300-like advantages (higher sensitivity at lower noise, liveview, better viewfinder, great screen) and new features (HD video clips, GPS). Oh and it has more megapixels.

The one feature it lacks, for myself a deal breaker, is AI and AIS compatibility.

Video is MF only by the way, which has already confused some MF-unaware folks Smile

So it still looks as if a D300 is my only upgrade path (D200 has AI and AIS compatibility but also has the noisy, less sensitive 10Mpx sensor used in the D40x, D60, D80, has no liveview).

The D90 looks pretty good but I think the video feature is a bit gimicky...

Yes for MF users the D300 or D700 are probably the best upgrades. Now the D700 is starting to come down in price, that's the way I'm heading, the D300 offers a slight IQ improvement over the D200, but it's minimal below 800 ISO, whilst the D700 is dramatic.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

review http://dcresource.com/reviews/nikon/d90-review/index.shtml

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:

Update: Despite being a deal breaker for me in August 2008, I bought a D90 in Jan 2009. Having got used to no metering on D40, D90 was just the same.

The better viewfinder, better lower noise CMOS sensor, are attractive over the D40. It still feels substantially bigger in the hand.

Compared to a d300, the lower cost, smaller size, and being able to continue using SD rather than buying 20 gigs of high speed CF cards, were determining factors.

Ironically I had got a focusing screen for the D40 as a present; a similar screen for the D90 is on order.

It takes a little more work, the images are softer than the D40 partly due to the higher resolution sensor and partly because the AA filter is stronger than that in the D40. However, i now have a reasonable workflow set up - the custom settings have high sharpness, so the in-camera JPEG preview looks correct. Then I override that to zero sharpening, zero noise reduction and slightly lowered contrast as the first stage of raw processing.

Most of my lenses still work. Two that do not are the 20mm f/4 (but I located and ordered an AI conversion kit, its on its way) and the Nikkor-S.C 50mm f/1.4 which I may well have to sell. Pity as its a lovely lens.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am only a Nikon film user (not digital), so I am not aware of all these differences in the Nikon digital cameras with regards to manual lens compatibility.
Perhaps it would be nice to make a FAQ or something that lists all Nikon digital cameras and for each of them gives the basic features and the manual lens compatibilities.
Say that a Nikon film user like me would decide to buy a Nikon digital reflex, that would be helpful.
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I am only a Nikon film user (not digital), so I am not aware of all these differences in the Nikon digital cameras with regards to manual lens compatibility.
Perhaps it would be nice to make a FAQ or something that lists all Nikon digital cameras and for each of them gives the basic features and the manual lens compatibilities.
Say that a Nikon film user like me would decide to buy a Nikon digital reflex, that would be helpful.
-

Sure, I can do that. It would probably be best as a new thread so that it could be 'stickied'

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
-

Nikonians have this...
http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html

And there's another one somewhere, but I can't find it now...
(edit) Turns out it was Ken Rockwell http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

Here's one for film Nikons
http://www.nikonlinks.com/unklbil/bodylens.htm[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:

Nikonians have this...

And anyone following that chart risks breaking their D90. Its flat-out wrong for the D90. However, they are not very responsive to criticism, shall we say, so I doubt it will get fixed any time soon. Edit: I asked them to fix it, lets see what happens.

I feel that explanation, like Orio asked for, are better than a table of yes/no which has to be taken on trust. Explanations also help when new cameras are introduced, as the owner can immediately see why some things are compatible and others are not.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
Farside wrote:

Nikonians have this...

And anyone following that chart risks breaking their D90. Its flat-out wrong for the D90. However, they are not very responsive to criticism, shall we say, so I doubt it will get fixed any time soon. Edit: I asked them to fix it, lets see what happens.

Update: they have fixed this error, and another one that I also reported (they said that D40/40x/60 would not meter with CPU lenses!)

Which is good. On the other hand, they have introduced two new errors. They now say that D40/40x and D60 are incompatible with pre-AI lenses. This is, of course, incorrect. I have reported these two new errors also.

Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too impressed with Nikonians at the moment - suddenly the free accounts on their site are being charged for. I only dipped in there occasionally, and now I have to go through a load of hassle just to read the forums.
They can keep it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
I'm not too impressed with Nikonians at the moment - suddenly the free accounts on their site are being charged for. I only dipped in there occasionally, and now I have to go through a load of hassle just to read the forums.
They can keep it.

Yes, you would need to register and the free accounts lasts for 25 days, then you need to pay (or re-register with a different name). So I can't point you to the error report thread.

On the plus side, I have become active on nikoncafe and nikongear. Both are free to access. Nikongear accepts voluntary donations, while nikongear has a paid membership level (but active posters have the same benefits, and anyone can read and post). The recent changes at Nikonians are not to my taste at all.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also haven't gone to Nikonians in quite some time..Some of the people there were great, others just a..holes..I had gotten the email about the membership charges & just shrugged it off as a sign that they are having financial problems...You would have thought that they would "grandfather" older free members who have been with them for awhile in free of charge...Anyway, I'll not be going there again either & I'm also on Nikongear although i don't go there as often as some Yahoo & Flickr Nikon groups...Depends on what I'm looking for... group