Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I repaired my first lens today...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: I repaired my first lens today... Reply with quote

Maybe nothing important, but a few weeks ago I got this nice Meyer Primotar 180mm f/3.5 lens for next to nothing (to me at least) -- 10 euros. It came to me in this shape, including the Meyer lens case and both original lens covers:

So what was wrong with it? Basically, the diaphragm was stuck. It would not move at all. The former owner tried to use a little too much force, with this as a result:

So I disassembled the front group, and that was very, very easy to do. No screws had to be removed at all. When I reached the blades it was clear that they were sticking to each other, in such a way that they came out of the lens in one piece. I cleaned them in a bath of naphta, dried them and put them back into the lens.That actually was the hardest part, I had to try 3 times before I knew how to do it Smile

I could understand why some prefer 6-blade diaphragms, from a repairer's point of view Smile

And here is the result:

Not bad for 10 euros and a little work, eh? Cool

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job! I've almost cried when i tried to put back a 5 blades iris Smile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job! Nice to see you saved this poor guy life!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, nice job done!.
And thanks for sharing,

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work. I'm good at taking them apart.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Really nice work ...
Now, what about posting some sample pictures ?

Best regards

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! It certainly is very rewarding to repair a defective lens - no matter how cheap or how expensive it is. Of course, I repaired it to try it out, and that will happen soon. Check back in a few days Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really easy and all goes well until.. you discover you have to lift up the first blade you laid to slide one underneath! Smile Wow, I've never tried one as complex as this - I'm lost in admiration of your patience!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
...! It certainly is very rewarding to repair a defective lens - no matter how cheap or how expensive it is. ...

I totally (means 120%) agree with this statement. Very Happy Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Peter: Old post, but right subject. You said "No screws had to be removed at all". I've tried unscrewing the front, but didn't want to force without knowing more. Can you please tell me how exactly to remove the front? I have one blade that just went out of position. Looking, it appears an easy slip back into position if I can access from the front.

Thanks much.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Hello Peter: Old post, but right subject. You said "No screws had to be removed at all". I've tried unscrewing the front, but didn't want to force without knowing more. Can you please tell me how exactly to remove the front? I have one blade that just went out of position. Looking, it appears an easy slip back into position if I can access from the front.

Thanks much.

+1
I would also love to see how you accessed the aperture blades. I have two lenses from this maker - this Primotar 180mm and the 300 Telemegor - and their apertures are in the same condition yours was in. There must be some design flaw there, for I've seen many older MOG lenses wth this condition.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found my way through it. The front most ring does unscrew. The lens needs a little more effort and has those opposing notches for a tool. Once inside I was able to reposition the renegade blade, but seems maybe slightly bent. Testing it revealed that it will come out again if turned past f/5.6. My cure was to set the perture stop at f/5.6 and never go beyond. I use it mostly at wide open anyway.