Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hood gallore
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Hood gallore Reply with quote

For almost every lens there's an accessory hood or sun shade sold be the manufacturer. While the original part may be preferred because it is designed not to interfere with the image area captured by the camera it is not always possible to find them and sometimes they come at a very high price.

So, for those who don't feel that they are too handy or simply don't want to build their own hood from parts found in the local hardware store I though that we could share our findings and possibly list from where we got good working hoods (for example what ebay seller) attached to a specific lens.

Other interesting bits could also include what adaptors used for a lens to be able to fit other brand or new standard hoods on old lenses.

To illustrate an example:

What adapter and hood would you suggest for Helios-40 (first version) which I believe have a not so common screw-on filterthred?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Hood gallore Reply with quote

Fotal wrote:

What adapter and hood would you suggest for Helios-40 (first version) which I believe have a not so common screw-on filterthred?

A black cardboard one - that's what I made.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the 135/150/200 Super Takumar hood to all my super takumars. Although at 35mm it shows slight vignette, but not worse then you can run a PS script on it. 28 and below it might be a bit worse though.

It has a 49mm attachment and fit into the filter thread. So its also usable on other lenses and its metal.

EDIT: For 35mm and 28mm Takumars I can use the Schneider-Kreuznach 135mm hood with success.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also depends on what camera you use it ...

My zenitar on a crop camera can be fitted with a Cokin P filter holder (but without the hood). On full frame, even the small built-in hood can cause vignetting if misaligned.

For my other lenses, I ordered some metal hoods here http://search.stores.befr.ebay.be/I-T-Digitals-Photo-Video-Supplies_metal_W0QQfciZ11QQfclZ4QQfsnZIQ2eTQ2eDigitalsQ20PhotoQ20VideoQ20SuppliesQQfsooZ2QQfsopZ2QQfsubZ17QQsaselZ31932766QQsofpZ0

The normal 52mm hood fits well my Nikkor 24mm, has a good finish, no vignetting on crop camera and protection of the front lens.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jieffe wrote:
It also depends on what camera you use it ...

True ofcourse, I got a 1.5x camera.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Nikon HN-2 (originally designed for the 28mm f/2.8 and 28mm f/3.5) on my 20mm f/4. The angle of view for a 28mm on full frame seemed like a better fit for 20mm on DX.

My 135mm f/2.8 and 200mm f/3.5 have built in hoods, which is handy; the 40mm f/2 has a wierd special hood which seems to be effective.

I could really do with hoods for my 28mm f/2.8 and for my 50mm f/1.4; applying the same logic I would need hoods originally designed for around 45mm and 75mm.

The HN-4 is for the 45mm f/2.8 but I have not found one on ebay and it seems they are rare. The HN- 5 for the 50mm f/1.4 or f/2.0 might suit. For my 50mm not sure, perhaps an HN-21 ? These do not seem common either. The HN-1 HN-2 and HN-3 hoods seem readily available. (These are all metal, 52mm, screw mount circular hoods).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many different hoods are available on eBay,

I use this seller.

http://tinyurl.com/3vrq8t

Scroll down to the cheaper hoods and you will see many, many different hoods in many sizes, metal, short, long, rubber and pretty cheap also. I have purchased 6 or 7 hoods (metal) from this seller.

Good seller

Cheers

Jules

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Jieffe; that's a handy supplier, thanks.

More generally, I find the Mir 38B hood with its shallow depth and 72mm thread is a good tool for many wide lenses, using step-up rings where necessary. The hood from the Tamron 80-210 103A, being 58mm and quite deep, is useful for many other medium teles and even some wides, as the crop keeps the vignetting away. Other hoods I have are mostly the rubber ones, which are ok, but not great. Some of my lenses have hoods built on, but they are usually quite shallow - better than nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting stuff, thanks all