Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Wonder lens!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Wonder lens! Reply with quote

I've been scanning some old slides this week and came across this one which I'm really quite proud of. It's a part of Princes Street, Edinburgh, from the top of the Sir Walter Scott Memorial looking west, with the castle and Princes Street Gardens on the left.

I took this picture on a beautiful clear day in August 1968 with a little Zenit 3M SLR and M39 Industar-50 lens, using Kodachrome II. I don't remember the exposure settings but the camera didn't have a meter, so it was probably a guess. The detail in this pic for such a little lens you can buy for ?5 is truly mind-blowing.

Click on the picture to download the full 1800x1200 (2.7MB) scan from the Epson V700 in Full Auto mode. I sharpened it a little and corrected the blueish colour cast, which I think might be due to its age. Not bad for an almost 40 year-old slide!

I'm sure Bob will be interested to see the old shops and vehicles in Edinburgh - note the policemen in white coats directing the traffic at each junction, before traffic lights were installed!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say wonder lens, wonder scanner, and wonder photographer!

Really an out of ordinary view, Peter. This would deserve to be in any geography book. It is especially interesting to see it how it used to look 40 years ago. Look at the cars! Smile

Why don't you go there and take the same picture 40 years later?
That would be fantastic!
I think any newspaper would pay and publish for that couple of phohtographs.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fantastic view of a great city! Well done.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah, the one and only time I was ever up the Scott Monument was shortly after you, in about 1971-ish. The cars and the view would have changed slightly, but not all that much. Now, the middle distance would have a few extra housing estates and I think that gasometer is long gone.
Do you have one looking the other way?

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This certainly shows some great resolving power of the lens AND the film! And the beautifully balanced and straight-line composition is quite a fine showing of the photographer's skills.

But...all those cars, the look so SEDATE. Confused The only possible Muscle Car in the whole lot of them, is the white Dodge Challenger Super Bee / or possibly a Daytona Six Pack (that's what it looks like, at any rate) down in the lower part of the image, turning right off the side street toward the camera! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice photo, well shot!

It's like going back in time! Very Happy

Also I would like to see how it looks like now and compare. Smile
We are fixing an apartment from 100 years old house... We have seen some
old photos of the area and it's very exciting.

I have been watching old photos of my city and it's very nice to see how people are dressed... Horses and old cars.. Many old nice houses... It's sad to see many of them are not here anymore... Sad

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Shot! I like Orios idea to submit this one with a current shot to the local rag. Really impressive amount of stuff happening the lens and your composure renders it all very well. Good eye Larry to spot the Dodge Cool

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photo! If time travelling was possible I would go to the 60's Smile

It's always fun to see old photos scanned! I don't know much about scanners but I guess this photo could look even better with a better scanner? Small version looks perfect, but I think the big version has too much sharpening or/and contrast? I agree that you should go back there and take a picture 40 years later! With the same lens if you still have it?

Here is a test photo from my Industar 50-2. I like this lens very much!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superb Peter! your old neg still rock
wonder if crw and jpg will be usable in 2048 Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, I'm grateful for the kind comments. I was 21 at the time and I'd owned my first SLR for less than a year. Within another year the shutter started sticking and I replaced it with a Praktica/Domiplan, which was never as good.

I think it's a fabulous idea to take an updated shot from the same position. I don't have any plans to go up to Scotland ATM, not till next year at least, so I wonder if somebody living nearer could do it. Bob?

I found another shot today, taken from the same position and looking directly at the castle. In those days I never gave a thought about stitching, so the elevation of the camera was different, but if I took the picture again today I'd definitely use a tripod and take several shots to make a panorama. Anyway, here's my first try at stitching using the Canon Utility. I didn't get the colours quite right, maybe I'll play with it some more. Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic historical record and a great picture too! Vehicle wise I can see a white VW type 2 T2 bus (turning left bottom right too partially obscured) In 1968 this would have been fresh off the production line in Wolfsburg Germany. This was there first year of the T2 production.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic! Many thanks for sharing especially for large size!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting this Peter - it's wonderful to see and as others have said previously, a testament to both your skill and the lens. Cool

I'd be glad to do a redux of the scene but as I don't have an Industar 50, we'd have to make do with a Pancolar 50 if that's OK.... Laughing

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
But...all those cars, the look so SEDATE. Confused The only possible Muscle Car in the whole lot of them, is the white Dodge Challenger Super Bee / or possibly a Daytona Six Pack (that's what it looks like, at any rate) down in the lower part of the image, turning right off the side street toward the camera! Very Happy

All those cars would be extremely rare here Laurence. I think the car you mean (the white one?) is probably a Rover 2000, going by the lower rear wheelarches.

Riku wrote:
Small version looks perfect, but I think the big version has too much sharpening or/and contrast?

Yes, I think you're right. I didn't touch the contrast but I did sharpen it to try to extract as much detail as possible. I can upload the raw scans on my site for you to play around with yourself if you like - send me a PM.
Quote:
Here is a test photo from my Industar 50-2. I like this lens very much!

Excellent shot! In 40 years' time you'll look at it and, like me, wonder where all the years have gone! Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
I'd be glad to do a redux of the scene but as I don't have an Industar 50, we'd have to make do with a Pancolar 50 if that's OK.... Laughing

Great Bob, yes please! It will be fascinating to compare. And better still with the Pancolar. Can you still manage the 287 steps?

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

287 steps no sweat.... Laughing

I'll take either the Flek 4/20 or 2.8/20 and Flek 35 too.

Hopefully I'll be on holiday the first two weeks in June so I'll take a trip to Edinburgh then, if not before.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:

Hopefully I'll be on holiday the first two weeks in June so I'll take a trip to Edinburgh then, if not before.

Bob, I suggest you to take a 50mm lens too - Peter's original was 50mm Industar, so I think that it would be nice to have a photo today with the same framing and focal lenght.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same lens, same camera, same film, different subject - my (future) wife in 1969 Smile Don't tell her I posted this, she'll kill me!

Last edited by peterqd on Sat May 10, 2008 8:47 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Orio: Already taken care of. Wink

peterqd wrote:
bob955i wrote:

Great Bob, yes please! It will be fascinating to compare. And better still with the Pancolar. Can you still manage the 287 steps?

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't tell her I posted this, she'll kill me!

Why? She's a very nice lady and I am totally crazy for that 60s hairstyle!! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful shot, and a great scan, Peter! Ah, Kodachrome...

Nice shot of the missus, too!

Bill

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:

Great, I can't wait! Hope it's a beautiful day like I had Bob. I was really lucky there.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really excellent.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Hah, the one and only time I was ever up the Scott Monument was shortly after you, in about 1971-ish. The cars and the view would have changed slightly, but not all that much. Now, the middle distance would have a few extra housing estates and I think that gasometer is long gone.
Do you have one looking the other way?

No, sorry Dave. I've been through all the slides now and I can't find any. Let's ask Bob to take one.

It's fun trying to find places in the picture with Google Earth. I reckon that gasworks was out near Murrayfield rugby stadium somewhere, but I can't find any records of it.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
The only possible Muscle Car in the whole lot of them, is the white Dodge Challenger Super Bee / or possibly a Daytona Six Pack (that's what it looks like, at any rate) down in the lower part of the image, turning right off the side street toward the camera! Very Happy

You know, I think you're right. That does say 'Dodge' to me. It's definitely not a UK car (1) and there were a few ex-US servicemen's cars on Scottish roads at the time. The US sub base (and others) would let their personnel ship their cars over for free, but not pay for their return, so many sold them off when heading back home. You would see more of them towards Glasgow.

(1) The only UK car still on the road in 1968 that was anywhere near that size and shape was the Vauxhall Cresta and it's not quite right. Vauxhall was GM-owned and produced a few models that were down-scaled copies of US cars.
(edit)
How could I forget the Ford Zodiac? Yet another US-influenced body, but not as big as the one in the pic.