Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Birds of prey - Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 100-300mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Birds of prey - Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 100-300mm Reply with quote

I visited the Hawk Conservancy Trust today, to test out my Canon EF 100-400/4.5-5.6L The lens was OK, pretty soft wide open but the biggest problem is the high ISO on the 60D. Anyway, I soon got bored and pulled out my Vario-Sonnar Laughing Now this lens is SHARP wide open Cool All the below were at f/4.5 and I was forced to shoot at high to very high ISO, so most shots have a touch of de-noise as well.

American Bald Eagle (2) by ManualFocus-G, on Flickr

American Bald Eagle shrieking by ManualFocus-G, on Flickr

Coming in to land... by ManualFocus-G, on Flickr

Hawk Conservancy by ManualFocus-G, on Flickr

Harris Hawk by ManualFocus-G, on Flickr

Hawk Conservancy (2) by ManualFocus-G, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, WOW what a pictures!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, great series!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stellar series.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That third shot is just stunning. A great capture with a MF lense.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmelvis wrote:
That third shot is just stunning. A great capture with a MF lense.

+1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the shots are stunning, but especially no 3 for the reason above.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very professional.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most beautiful creatures.... thanks for share.. I save them Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful bird and perfectly catched, my fav is the # 3, bird in fly is always quite a challenge with manuel lens, very well done....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pich900 wrote:
Beautiful bird and perfectly catched, my fav is the # 3, bird in fly is always quite a challenge with manuel lens, very well done....

+ 1

Congrats for these wonderful images and thanks for sharing.

Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic series !
What a majestic pose in #1 Shocked

Cheeers
Tobias

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I was amazed at only 20 miles north of London many buzzards or Kites (or whatever) were circling around in the sky like vultures, apparently this was some sort of mating get together.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for all the kind comments folks, it was a great day out Smile

Excalibur wrote:
Last year I was amazed at only 20 miles north of London many buzzards or Kites (or whatever) were circling around in the sky like vultures, apparently this was some sort of mating get together.

That must have been quite a sight! There are more and more birds of prey breeding now, which is fantastic news (well, some farmers would disagree!). Interestingly, Sparrow Hawks are declining in numbers in the UK as the hunter is being hunted itself...by bigger birds!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that I would have to be VERY lucky to utilize a mf lens system the way you have. It's a JOY to
see these sharp, detailed images. Purely excellent.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much Laurence Smile I actually got more keepers with the manual lens than with the af lens! But then I'm not much of autofocus shooter, so I was probably doing it wrong anyway! Needless to say, I get more enjoyment from shooting with manual focus lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Thanks so much Laurence Smile I actually got more keepers with the manual lens than with the af lens! But then I'm not much of autofocus shooter, so I was probably doing it wrong anyway! Needless to say, I get more enjoyment from shooting with manual focus lenses.

I'm jealous! Focusing is my 'downfall' in images. Of course could always increase the depth of field,
but much of things I like to photograph are better with a nearly wide-open lens. It's one of the foibles
of living in an 'almost rainforest' environment. A tripod helps, of course - especially if I DO happen to
crank up to f:16 or thereabouts. I guess you could say, as far as manually focusing goes, that I am
still practicing!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonderful photos. i noticed the eagle had jessies on his legs. was he flying to or from a handler?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul, yes the bird was released from about a mile or so away and flew all the way back to his owner. It was incredible seeing him circling in the distance and gradually getting closer. An amazing creature.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some cracking shots there Graham Very Happy
I think I too have better results using manual focus rather than af, surprising considering the 7D has an excellent af system.
But lets be honest here, it's far more satisfying to capture a tack sharp bird shot with an mf lens rather than an af lens. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a birds! What a beautiful pictures!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazing indeed. bald eagles have returned to alabama. they nest now in the warrior river valley where live. i have seen a couple hunting the river below our cabin. i am enthralled by all raptors ...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Minolfan!

SonicScot wrote:
But lets be honest here, it's far more satisfying to capture a tack sharp bird shot with an mf lens rather than an af lens. Cool

Totally agree!

fish4570 wrote:
amazing indeed. bald eagles have returned to alabama. they nest now in the warrior river valley where live. i have seen a couple hunting the river below our cabin. i am enthralled by all raptors ...

Fantastic news, that must be an incredible sight Smile It's amazing how well raptors are now doing, thanks to the effort of all the organisations involved.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:

Believe it or not, I read somewhere - or saw something in the media - about the Warrior River and how it is an example
of American Bald Eagles 'coming back'. I surely hope that it continues in Alabama and other states that haven't had large
populations of eagles.

We are lucky here, of course, in that there are thousands of these magnificent birds. That said, if the salmon, trout, and
steelhead species continue their downward spiral, the eagles will be going away. Sad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't add anything, I am speechless. I saw a bald eagle attack an osprey on a lake out here, and make him give up the trout he had just taken (I was fishing so no camera). Raptors are the most beautiful flying machines.

patrickh