Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Short Tele lens comparison on NEX-3 (Part 2 - Bokeh!)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Short Tele lens comparison on NEX-3 (Part 2 - Bokeh!) Reply with quote

Second part of this comparison: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1138159.html#1138159

Bokeh!! Wink

Wide open:

Carl Zeiss Tevidon 2.8/70

Leica Elmar 4/90

Nikkor-H 1.8/85

Schneider-Kreuznach Tele-Xenar 3.8/75

Steinheil Culminar 2.8/85 VL

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now at f/5.6:

Carl Zeiss Tevidon 2.8/70

Leica Elmar 4/90

Nikkor-H 1.8/85

Schneider-Kreuznach Tele-Xenar 3.8/75

Steinheil Culminar 2.8/85 VL

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl Zeiss Tevidon 2.8/70:
Very nice bokeh wide open, still OK at f/5.6.

Leica Elmar 4/90:
Ugly bokeh wide open, gets a lot nicer when stopped down.

Nikkor-H 1.8/85:
Very creamy wide open (well, f/1.8!), but I don't really like the hexagonal shape when stopped down.

Schneider-Kreuznach Tele-Xenar 3.8/75:
Nice bokeh wide open (can get a little busy with twigs etc.), the apertue shape stopped down is ugly.

Steinheil Culminar 2.8/85 VL:
Not really nice wide open but much better when stopped down.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great comparison, great work!

Those are all good performers.
Leica elmarit 90 @f4 is very nice, I would choose that one Wink

Cheeers
Tobias

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice comparison, it show the superiority of the Tevidon wide open
it give the impression it got more light, producing better colors, more crispness and volumes
the others look flat like drawing
at 5.6, all lenses are improved with the Tevidon & Tele-Xenar in pole position
what does this have to do with bokeh? essential; the bokeh role is to pop the subject and the better it succeed it, the better it is

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we also can conclude is that the Tevidon produces a much warmer image compared to the others.

About the "pop" we also have to consider the different field of views due to the different focal lenghts. The Tevidon image also pops because there is something on the right. Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing!. Interesting comparison, I like the Nikkor one Smile

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting comparison, thanks for sharing (also for Part I). I just found it by coincidence as I haven't really interpreted the title accordingly Wink

The Tele-Xenar surely is a very sharp and contrasty lens, but I only use it wide open, as the square aperture results in distracting bokeh (for me). The Elmar doesn't work for me in that respect, too busy. The Tevidon is quite acceptable but also very sharp. The Steinheil is a bit too soft for me and lacks contrast. The Nikon is certainly a fine lens, even fully open, but I'm also no a fan of hexagonal bokeh.

As a plus for the Tevidon I count how small and lightweight it is.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent analysis, Klaus!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ask me for a final, combined ranking (considering sharpness, resolution, colours and bokeh), it would look like this:

1. Nikkor-H 1.8/85 (but it's huge, too big for a NEX)
2. Carl Zeiss Tevidon 2.8/70 (a great allrounder and a perfect size for a NEX)
3. Leica Elmar 4/90 (loses a lot in the bokeh department and is not as sharp as the Zeiss, SK or Nikkor, but it's a very fine lens anyway)
4. Schneider-Kreuznach Tele-Xenar 3.8/75 (extremely sharp and with a high resolution, if it only had a nicer aperture shape!)
5. Steinheil Cluminar 2.8/85 VL (as I said a very nice lens for portraits, but otherwise not in the same league as the other, newer ones)

(Another reason for the Elmar - in my case - is that I also have a 50mm lens for the NEX, so a 90mm makes more sense than a 70mm.)

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to bokeh, Tevidon and Tele-Xenar wide open, Steinheil stopped down.

Overall, Tele-Xenar winner for me, and Tevidon on second place.
_

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tevidon is a winner overall

tf

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank God, we do not all have the same taste. Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

The Tele-Xenar surely is a very sharp and contrasty lens, but I only use it wide open, as the square aperture results in distracting bokeh (for me). The Nikon is certainly a fine lens, even fully open, but I'm also no a fan of hexagonal bokeh.

I actually much prefer the diamond of the Tele-Xenar to the hexagon of the Nikkor.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excelent work , thanks for sharing !

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On first appearances, i prefer the look of Tevidon wide open but the Elmar at 5.6.