Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon MC 2.8/20 M42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon MC 2.8/20 M42 Reply with quote

Just checked if someone opened already a thread about this classic, seems not.

Here are 24 samples of this gem. Some ponos amongst them. Meybe it's not the sharpest of all lenses Wink (especially in the corners), but it has a big soul ...

is this folder I have 50 different photographs with the Flek 20/2.8:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12447266@N05/sets/72157622584226873/

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG, your photos from the alps are so stunning
your Panos are great too, no doubt, but looking at the cows, the mist and clouds, sunrays and autumn leaves in the alpine setting makes me see my home country in the most beautiful eyes, Tobias thank you for that!

real pro work, so hard to pick favs, No 2, 4, 5!!!, 6, 14, well, really all, and No 18!!! Shocked and 19!!, the B&W from Vienna 15, 17...

Last edited by kuuan on Sat May 14, 2011 3:29 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many outstanding pictures! I like them all!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful set. I must say I like them all but #5 really stands out to my personal taste. Great work, thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful pictures. No. 5 is really special. Others too, but I lost count (plus, many are too large for my monitor). Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely adore #6. Fantastic image.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many many thanks for the feedback !

@Andreas
Much too kind words of you Wink
Most of the alps shots here are from around Saalfelden, Maria Alm, Weißbach, Lofer ... do you remember some places?
I thought to remember that you told once that you have been in the army base in Saalfelden... right ?

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

much OT, @ Tobias:
Saalfelden, Maria Alm, Weißbach, Lofer, Tobias sure I know the places.
Not from having served there in the army ( coincidentally a brother of mine did, as 'Gebirgsjäger' ) you must have mixed that up. I was found 'psychologically disabled' for military service ( some may not be surprised Wink ) and had spent that year as exchange student in the US instead Smile
Know the places because I was lucky to have a father who took us on vacations as a kid, great skiing there! Abt. 15 years ago I was there a few times visiting a friend and doing a market stall at the Saalfelden jazz festival. These last years I had been visiting friends in Kufstein, Tirol, and man, do I enjoy the countryside there, very much hope to get there again in the future!

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - beautiful presentation of this lens.

Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Andreas
Quote:
Saalfelden, Maria Alm, Weißbach, Lofer, Tobias sure I know the places.
Not from having served there in the army ( coincidentally a brother of mine did, as 'Gebirgsjäger' ) you must have mixed that up. I was found 'psychologically disabled' for military service ( some may not be surprised Wink ) and had spent that year as exchange student in the US instead Smile
Know the places because I was lucky to have a father who took us on vacations as a kid, great skiing there! Abt. 15 years ago I was there a few times visiting a friend and doing a market stall at the Saalfelden jazz festival. These last years I had been visiting friends in Kufstein, Tirol, and man, do I enjoy the countryside there, very much hope to get there again in the future!

Ok, definitly mixed that up. I tried to be "untauglich" too, but they didn't believe me Wink ... So I did the civil duty at the ambulance for a year Wink
The Jazz-festival is still every summer ...

Cheeers
Tobias

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for #4 and #6, but like the others said, the selection is all of impressive quality!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic photos, very atmospheric, thanks for sharing.
What a beautiful part of the world you live.
John

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the B&W of the oncoming cows!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaeger wrote:
Love the B&W of the oncoming cows!

+1

Stunning collection - thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work. Just excellent!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love them all.I do really want to have so wonderful a lens

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently bought a zebra Flektogon 4/20. What do you guys think, the 2,8 (also the MC) should be sharper?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gorbesz wrote:
I have recently bought a zebra Flektogon 4/20. What do you guys think, the 2,8 (also the MC) should be sharper?

Yes, if it hasn't been messed with although infinity focus can be quite easily tweaked if necessary.

Flek 4/20 pros & cons:

Pros:

Somewhat better corrected than the 2.8 regarding distortion.
Possibly cheaper to get than the 2.8.

Cons:

Not as sharp as the 2.8 - needs stopped down a bit more.
1 stop slower than the 2.8 - not necessarily a problem though.
Single coated so somewhat more flare prone.
Not quite as contrasty - that's equally not necessarily a problem and could even be a pro depending on what look you want.
Might need focus helix regreased.

Flek 2.8/20 MC pros & cons:

Pros:

Can be sharper than the 4/20.
Multi-coated.
1 stop faster - if you need it, but don't expect it to be supersharp, especially in the corners.

Cons:

Not quite as well corrected as the 4/20 but is rarely a problem unless architecture is involved and any curvature bugs the hell out of you.
Although multi-coated, it's not T* standard so no straight into the sun miracles.
Aperture blades can stick due to oil etc.
Might need the focus helix regreased.
Seems to be getting quite expensive now.

Both are good lenses though and if either lens is a good copy that hasn't been buggered around with, you're likely to be happy with either. I have both and they both get equal air time depending on the mood I want.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just beautiful. Great photography and such a beautiful place.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you much for sharing and clap hands.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: blend a Flektogon Reply with quote

maybe a bit off topic ;o)