Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vernon Edonar (Taisei/Tamron) 28/2.8 Odd and rare !
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject: Vernon Edonar (Taisei/Tamron) 28/2.8 Odd and rare ! Reply with quote

I saw one of these first about a year ago with our "good friend" GoKevin; its appearance struck me and so did its maker. I put it on my usual search queries. I recently got a bite on ebay and grabbed it, and it turned out to be a sample in mint condition.

It says it is made by Taisei Kogaku, which is Tamron of course. However this lens does not appear on the Tamron site. The only Tamron lens of similar style listed is the 135 model 680AR, which I also have. The 135 is obviously of the same line as this 28 -

Vernon seems to have been a rather short-lived distributors brand for miscellaneous photo stuff in the 1960's, the usual teleconverters and filters, etc. There was a fairly extensive line of Vernon Edonar lenses, of which the one listed and those I have spotted (80-250 zoom and 200/3.5, besides this) seem to have all been of Tamron make. The 135 680AR was also sold as a Vernon Edonar I believe. Vernon Edonars are not at all common. I'm guessing that Taisei/Tamron got into some exclusive marketing deal with whoever owned Vernon, but that arrangement did not last very long, perhaps just one small but varied batch of lenses it seems. The leftovers, like my 680AR, seem to have been sold as Tamrons.

The JCII sticker on this says "68", which is probably the date it was made , and that fits in with the rest of the facts. It is of course a lens of unique appearance. It does not resemble the Adaptamatic 28mm's, and I know of no earlier Tamron 28mm's, so this may be the first Tamron 28mm. It certainly shows every sign of being a less-developed design.

As early wide-angle lenses go, its actually quite a nice lens. Its got no distortion I can detect, no problem with contrast, and is sharp even at f/2.8, though there is quite a lot of CA. This particular lens focuses well beyond infinity, which is a problem with wide-angles as that makes scale-focusing difficult. I'm not sure I want to try repair this, as it is a truly rare item in excellent cosmetic condition.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've earned three more "wowsers", Luis! One for your images, another for rarity and a third for detective work!! Keep 'em coming!

Bill

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES ! Awesome pictures! Many thanks for sharing them!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots again. Nice to see that "the bird" can fly.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful lens!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
Great shots again. Nice to see that "the bird" can fly.

Obviously, with the wides, Luis gets too close for comfort.
next time bring a bag of chips. Laughing

The girls look fabulous!

Last edited by Bruce on Fri May 01, 2009 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Vernon Edonar lenses Reply with quote

Very interesting and some impressive pictures as well !

Now, old age may be fuddling my brain, but do I recall seeing the same, or almost identical, lenses in the 1960s (or maybe early 70s) engraved Yahinon? Glossy black and mirror-polished alloy, they looked very smart.

Anybody recall them?

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they had similar styling with the silver and black, Yashinon DX's.

However, I'm sure these are different lenses.

The Yashinon DX 35 f/2.8:

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were some very handsome Yashinons of similar "modern" style, the Yashinon-DX series of the late 1960's-early 1970's. Some of these were polished alu, others were black. It seems that some of the Vernon Edonars were black also. I have the Yashinon-DX 200/4 -

http://forum.mflenses.com/yashinon-dx-200-4-black-beauty-t7830,highlight,yashinondx.html

There were also some earlier Yashinon non-DX 50mm's (for the J-series) that were somewhat similar.

There is a series of lenses sold by Vivitar that seem to predate the famous serial number system (i.e., may be from before 1970) that are also in a similar style.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis

I agree with the earlier compliments. You are indeed one of the great resources of this forum

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enough already Luis Very Happy . My list of "to get" is getting longer and longer. Good stuff and keep them coming.
cheers,
gil

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on finding these gems Cool

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting old one. Nice capture of the bird - it got fed up being telephotoed on.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject: What a great looking lens Reply with quote

Great looking old lens, and some great shots with it. I am new to the forum but seeing these great shots will only get me spending too much time on ebay and deeper in debt!

Some nice shots of my SF... and kudos on the wide angle Seagull

Thanks for sharing these, I would have scrolled right past this one.

It is a M42 lens?