Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashinon-DX 200/4 - Black Beauty
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Yashinon-DX 200/4 - Black Beauty Reply with quote

Yashica contracted with other makers to supply lenses when they entered the SLR market, notably Tokina and Tomioka.

This is one of the very distinctive first series of lenses (DX) Yashica designed and manufactured themselves for their SLR's. They are very modernist in style as that was conceived in the late 1960's-early 1970's, much like Tamrons of the time, but to my eyes more attractive. The 200mm of the line is I think one of the most attractive in the series, because of the elegantly flaring built-in lens hood.

Member Nesster has some more of them -

http://forum.mflenses.com/yashinon-t7469.html

In most ways its a very conventional lens of the period, focusing to 8ft/2.5m, and I believe it is multi-coated. I would like to see a contest between this and the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 200/4, which must have been its direct competition.

It seems very resistant to flare and can be quite sharp at f/4 by my standards. My copy is in what appears to be perfect condition save for a stiff helical I had to fix.

The bird - f/4

Oh, sorry, not that bird, this bird -

crop -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I FULLY agree with you regarding the beautiful design -- wow, a nice piece of engineering. Looks like it is put together with fine tolerances. A BEAUTY!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding shots luisalegria

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding shots luisalegria

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb luisalegria. That wasn't a shot of your winged Governor was it?

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My governor doesn't have wings, he has pecs. Or he used to.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Yashinon-DX 200/4 - Black Beauty Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I would like to see a contest between this and the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 200/4, which must have been its direct competition.

Ok, here we go, @full frame.

The competitors:
Pentax 200 F3.5 preset, Yashinon DX 200 F4, Super Takumar 200 F4, Canon 70 -200 F4 (non IS)

Canon 1DS II

Corner:
Yashica@F8 - Yashica@F4 - Pentax 200/3.5@F8 - Pentax 200/3.5@F4

Center:
Yashica@F8 - Yashica@F4 - Pentax 200/3.5@F8 - Pentax 200/3.5@F4

Corner
SuperTakumar200/4@F8 - SuperTakumar 200/4@F4 - Canon 70-200/4L@F8 - Canon 70-200/4L@F4

Center
SuperTakumar200/4@F8 - SuperTakumar 200/4@F4 - Canon 70-200/4L@F8 - Canon 70-200/4L@F4

The performance is quite comprehensible, I own the Yashica twice, also SMC Takumar 200/4, Super Takumar 200/4 and the old Pentax preset 200/3.5. Yashica is always a tad better in the corners, old Pentax very sharp in the center... Next time I try a test between my RMC Tokina 200/3.5 which I suppose to be a different lens.

Btw. As always, very nice pictures, thank you for sharing these!

Last edited by Martin on Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:50 am; edited 5 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, Luis! Will have to keep an eye out for this superb lens!

Thanks for sharing these, I really like the green ceiling with the concentric
circle patterns. I guess it is a ceiling...

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the details and background of the bird's feet are amazing

from what I take from martin's test it seems to outperform the Takumars, it also is quite a bit larger and heavier, yes?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Martin ! Very well done.

It looks like the old Takumar 200/3.5 is definitely as soft as Attila says it is. The Takumar 200/4 seems to be about as sharp as the Yashinon, its hard to tell.

Kuuan,

I think it may be just a little bit bigger than the Takumar 200/4, but I have never compared these side by side as I don't own a that Takumar.

Bill,

Thats green swirly stuff is copper detail on the facade of a building in downtown San Francisco.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, excellent samples for an excellent lens.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yashinon DXs have style, beautiful on the outside, and very nice on the images. Your 200 seems to be at the top of their heap. Congratulations, and wonderful pics. The gull foot... wow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done as alway Luis. Your copy of this lens is a really nice one.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! My favs are 1,3,4,5!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a walk to flea market last night. I found this Yashinon dx 200/4.
Then I searched, lead to this topic. Seem mine is different finish. Itsn't black beauty.
I Haven't try it yet. But I really like it's look. most beautiful 200mm I ever have.

sorry for noise in high iso

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 135mm and 50/1.8 in that silver / black finish from the J-7 era. Beautiful!

I also have the 300/5.6 in the all black finish which looks really good too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: luisalegria, I need some advice of disassembly of this lens Reply with quote

luisalegria, hi, hope you are still posting here. I read in this thread where you repaired your lens. Mine has stuck aperture blades and a very tight auto switch. Can you (or anyone else) give me some guidance on disassembly? Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I no longer have the one in this posting, but I have another that I need to repair as the barrel is quite loose on the mount.
When I repair it I will make some notes.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just recieved my version of this lovely lens and the back end of it is a bit floppy. Has anyone here had one of these apart? splitting in 2 is easy but would like to get right in there and adjust or repair.
Cheers peeps.
BAB.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good,
got the tools out and have rectified the problem.
Now to take a few pics and see how i went.
Cleaned all elements while i was going too.
If pics are good will disassemble again and do photo guide as it's not hard at all.
Smile
BAB.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borrowed BAB's lens for a few shots and it is very good.
Here are some wide open and some are not.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis and Thomas,

Those have to be some of the most beautiful pictures I have seen in a long time. Simply outstanding.

Thomas, as I said before - you have a way with making simple look breathtaking Very Happy A very hard thing to achieve I think.

Regards,

Gavin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have acquired a Yashinon 200mm f4 lens of my own.
Optically it is excellent but had an aperture problem.
It is in excellent condition except for one thing - the aperture blades are sluggish to slow, and won't operate below about f5.6. There is oil on the blades.
My son has taken the lens and given it a complete service - repairing the aperture to "as-new" condition, and cleaning the lens elements while at it.
This might sound like a proud dad speaking, but that boy is amazing.
I asked him to document the steps in the process of dis-assembly and he has agreed.
Hopefully, it will be posted here on the forum for anyone else to see, who might have a similar problem.
As I watch, he is repairing his own Minolta Auto-Rokkor PF 55mm f1.8
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
I have acquired a Yashinon 200mm f4 lens of my own.
Optically it is excellent but had an aperture problem.
It is in excellent condition except for one thing - the aperture blades are sluggish to slow, and won't operate below about f5.6. There is oil on the blades.
My son has taken the lens and given it a complete service - repairing the aperture to "as-new" condition, and cleaning the lens elements while at it.
This might sound like a proud dad speaking, but that boy is amazing.
I asked him to document the steps in the process of dis-assembly and he has agreed.
Hopefully, it will be posted here on the forum for anyone else to see, who might have a similar problem.
As I watch, he is repairing his own Minolta Auto-Rokkor PF 55mm f1.8
Cheers
OH

You are fortunate your son can fix your lenses like that.
What wood is that table made from? Did you make it?
How do you rate the Yashinon with your other 200s?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow...real sharp for wide open !