Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Unknown (Beier?) 9x12 German plate camera
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Unknown (Beier?) 9x12 German plate camera Reply with quote

From ebay, of course, a rather unusual 1920's camera.

Wearing all the "combat gear" -

On the face of it, this is a very standard mid-to-high end 9x12 plate camera from the later 1920's, with a high-end dial-set shutter, double extension bellows, a fine double-anastigmat lens and a standard rail back that can take the usual groundglass, Zeiss-style plate holders, film packs, and roll backs. You can line up a collection of these from a couple of dozen makers, and they will look precisely alike from 3 feet away.

Whats unusual about it ?

1. It has no brand. Manufacturers usually marked these with embossed names and logos on the leather cover, on the front, the groundglass cover, or the handle. It is possibly a Beier, specifically a variant of the Beier Lotte, because of the Freital connection and similar design details, as pointed out by member Kathmandu (thanks!).

2. The shutter is a "Rulex", maker unknown and unmarked, so far as I can see. It is very similar to a dial-set Compur of the time, but it isn't; the controls are similar but in the wrong place, work in the wrong directions, etc. And the mechanism, as far as I can tell, is quite different. It does perform quite like a Compur though, with 1s-1/300 speed, this has a somewhat higher top speed than the Compurs of the time. And this one works very well indeed. Who made the "Rulex"? I certainly don't know. I suspect the maker may have been violating some of the Deckel patents.

3. The lens is an Erkos Selar, which I gather was either a small maker in Freital or a brand used for marketing some better-known makers lenses. Some Beiers used Erkos lenses, making the connection more likely. The lens is a doppel-anastigmat indeed, four elements in four groups much like a Rodenstock Eurynar or Goerz Dogmar, perhaps more like the Eurynar. I had it apart and compared it to my Eurynar and Dogmar; it seems more like the Eurynar.

4. This thing has a built-in lightmeter. Yes, there were cameras with these before the 1950's ! On the side of the case is embedded a Practos extinction meter integrated with the back sight of the sports finder.

Practos was a German maker of extinction lightmeters. Extinction meters work by viewing light through a calibrated glass; your reading was the last number visible through the glass. These things take some getting used to; the readings tend to be something of a judgement call. I tried to make this one work for me, but in the end I fell back on my old Sekonic.

So how does this one work ? I would say very well. Its in excellent condition as to mechanics and the bellows are in great shape. The shutter is perfect and the lens seems sharp enough, though I am in no position to compare it scientifically against Zeiss, Schneider or Rodenstock. As far as I can tell, for my purposes its no worse than these. This lens theoretically should permit removing the front cell and using just the rear cell as a longer focal length; and indeed that does work, and the bellows has more than enough extension for this trick. I have seen some of these plate cameras, with the proper lens, that have two focus scales for this reason.

I only did landscapes; I should try some portraits, etc. someday.

On Ocean Beach - Rollex 120 back, Arista Edu 100, yellow and red/orange filters. I had some streaking problems, which I think came from development. Gassers let me down a bit on these rolls I think.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice score.
I came across Rulex last year - iirc, they were/are quite worth having, if you find one.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Unknown (Beier?) 9x12 German plate camera Reply with quote

I bought this yesterday including 3 glass holders but no film inserts !
I would love to make pictures with this beautifull old lady. In your post I read that there are different types of backs. You use a "rollex 120 back" ?
Is there a market for those backs ? & how do you search?
thanks.

flickr.com/photos/77846450@N00/5123593548/
flickr.com/photos/77846450@N00/5123741657/
apug.org/forums/forum44/83274-erko-9x12cm-folding-camera

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rollex (later a brand name used for Linhof integrated film backs) and Rada made almost all roll film backs for German style "falz" backs.

http://foto.shop.ebay.de/i.html?_nkw=rollex+-linhof&_sacat=625&_odkw=rollex&_osacat=625
http://foto.shop.ebay.de/i.html?_nkw=rada&_sacat=625&_odkw=rollex+-linhof&_osacat=625

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks !
what about film inserts for the size 9x12 or is this 4x5 inch ? & I have to clip this to the right size ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours looks the same as mine, just a different lens and shutter.
Yours is also a 9x12

You should look for a roll film back for 9x12. Sevo is right, the usual brands in Europe were Rollex and Rada. These were made in 6x9 and 9x12 size - the same film, its just the plate was bigger to fit on 9x12 backs. I even saw one for 10x15 !

6x9 was more common. If you are good with tools you can adapt a 6x9 back to 9x12, but you will also need to make a new groundglass back. Better to just find one for 9x12.

The glass plate holders can be used also for 9x12 film. First put in a piece of cardboard, or maybe better cut a piece of 1.5mm plexiglass to fit. Then put the film on top of that.

You can find 9x12 film holders quite easily but in the US these can be a bit expensive. They are probably much cheaper in Europe.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy thanks; I start digging in & show you the results.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77846450@N00/5229115181/

My first ! with Combiplan in HC110 / 6'/ 20C/ 3 s. agitation per 1/2 '.
I've got myself now 10 plates including sheetholders. There are a lot different types of holders; same size but just missing a little 'lip'.
Do I love this slow-looking Smile
greetings
k.hendrik

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good show !

What do you use to scan 9x12 ?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: how to scan 9x12cm Reply with quote

Thanks. That's the next problem to solve; now I use a Canoscan 8800f for 6x6 negs. but I don't know if there are scanners for larger films !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are scanners for larger films, but new ones seem rather expensive to me.

Most people seem to be recommending the Epson V700 or V750
Those take 4x5 so it should work for 9x12

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown (Beier?) 9x12 German plate camera Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
From ebay, of course, a rather unusual 1920's camera. ...

Very nice, very informative. Thanks for posting! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: how to scan 9x12cm Reply with quote

k.hendrik wrote:
Thanks. That's the next problem to solve; now I use a Canoscan 8800f for 6x6 negs. but I don't know if there are scanners for larger films !

To scan 4x5/9x12 cheaply, pick up a used Epson 2450 for twenty bucks.