Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Too much wetting agent?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Too much wetting agent? Reply with quote

I think I've added to much wetting agent as my film has dried unevenly.

Is there anyway of wiping it clean or should I rewash? It's only a test run so I'm not really bothered with the images.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy enough to rewash... or dunk in some water a couple of times, should rid the extra soap.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

I dunked it in a bowl of deionised water as I have a supply of it. Looks better now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you squeegeeing (what a ridiculous word) before drying?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I've been warned off that.

2nd attempt today went better. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
themoleman342 wrote:

That might have been me, Martin, but if not I certainly agree with the advice. The emulsion is very soft before drying - I badly scratched a much-wanted film with a squeegee and I'll never do it again.

The problem I have during drying is calcium rings left on the surface as the moisture evaporates. The tap water here in Chalk country is extremely hard. I've been wondering if I could use bottled water for the final rinse, but that sometimes has lots of dissolved minerals too so I haven't tried it. Do you think your de-ionised water would be better for me too? Where can I get some?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

The problem I have during drying is calcium rings left on the surface as the moisture evaporates. The tap water here in Chalk country is extremely hard. I've been wondering if I could use bottled water for the final rinse, but that sometimes has lots of dissolved minerals too so I haven't tried it. Do you think your de-ionised water would be better for me too? Where can I get some?

I use tap water for the first stages and the last rinse only in distilled and left to sit for a minute or two. A source of distilled is a small dehumidifier.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:
themoleman342 wrote:

That might have been me, Martin, but if not I certainly agree with the advice. The emulsion is very soft before drying - I badly scratched a much-wanted film with a squeegee and I'll never do it again.

I think you can get distilled water in the baby food section of markets like Tesco in the UK very inexpensive.

I use that as the final rinse. In Texas, US we have the most mineralized water in the USA but since ai use the distilled water I get no mineral deposits whatsoever.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jules! I'll be taking my wife to Tesco this afternoon Smile Distilled water for babies! - what will they think of next? Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squeegeeing works if you do it properly. You just have to make sure everything is clean. You can also dip the squeegees in a photoflo solution before running them over the print. This will greatly reduce beading, which ends up drying as calcium circles. Give it a try.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a couple of dehumidifiers so I'll try using this water in future. I currently use it for topping up my windscreen washers & radiator on our cars. One thing that you need to be careful of if you use this is that you filter it through something first as it always seems to have something floating in it.