Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tomioka
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter: Have you sold your Pentor? Did you buy the Auto Beriflex?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I still have the Pentor because it's such a good performer. I'm not planning to sell it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Tomioka-Chinon 100mm variant. The design is VERY similar but the differences are there (for instance the focusing ring turns into opposite direction when compared to the Pentor etc. variants).

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-119684380-teleobjetivo-chinon-100mm-f28-rosca-universal-made-in-japan-_JM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However you find all that stuff... The Chinon is obviously a Tomioka and the similarities are striking. How does one make a connection if not from the similarities and differences - and is the rotation of the focus ring more a factor than the design of the lens barrel? It would be nice if that Chinon had shown the aperture blades. It would be even better to compare the optics.

No, I won't be disappointed if the lens turns out not to be a Tomioka - I'll be more surprised than disappointed. I didn't buy the lens for that reason, I bought it because of Peter's results. Peter, when I was web searching the lens I saw that you had posted it at several forum sites, which gave me the sense that you were quite impressed with it too. I was wondering if your shots were from a FF camera because that would provide better images. Several of your images have a 3-D pop, especially the jumping skater. We'll see if my results are in the same quality range as yours.

I also noted from your considerable lens list that you also have Meyer Orestor and Meyer Trioplan 100mm lenses. Can you comment on how the Pentor compares to those ?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to throw fuel on the fire, I have a Pentor 35mm that might be a CHINON or even a TOMIOKA?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
A Tomioka-Chinon 100mm variant. The design is VERY similar but the differences are there (for instance the focusing ring turns into opposite direction when compared to the Pentor etc. variants).

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-119684380-teleobjetivo-chinon-100mm-f28-rosca-universal-made-in-japan-_JM

Wow this is definitely a Tomioka lens. I mean even without a label you can find several elements identical to Yashika lenses made by Tomioka.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be cool to know the design. It's not Orestor copy, since rear element goes much deeper and is turned inward. I have same optic system also in Tamron lens body (silver styled like Beroflex).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
It would be cool to know the design. It's not Orestor copy, since rear element goes much deeper and is turned inward. I have same optic system also in Tamron lens body (silver styled like Beroflex).

You mean that the last element of the Chinonflex/Pentor etc. goes deeper into the body. Indeed; also the last element is almost perfectly flat.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deeper into the body of camera and more out of lens compared to Orestor.
Rear element on both of my lenses (PORST looking like Pentor) and silver Berolina is concave not flat. Optics surely the same, even coating colors.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed; it's hard to see though if the last element is concave or flat.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You made me doubt my impressions (it's hard to distinguish just by looking) so i put something of straight shape on rear element and it is concave.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it not reasonable to think these two might share some heritage?

Chinon Tomioka on left and Pentor on right.[/img]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly my Pentor uses another font for the engravings... Note the number 6.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter: I would guess the assembler of the lenses has parts made from multiple vendors and they mix them or just move to a new supply when depleting old supply. My lens is 139 units earlier in production.

I see that your images posted in the oversized gallery are indeed from FF. I wonder if that has something to do with the 3D-ish appearance. If you don't mind, I had asked in post 4th from the top of page 2 if you have any opinions of this Pentor when compared to the Meyer lenses you have.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to confuse matters, there was also a Tokina made 100/2.8 which was sort of similar, and branded with all sorts of names.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Just to confuse matters, there was also a Tokina made 100/2.8 which was sort of similar, and branded with all sorts of names.

Yes there are also Tokina made 100/2.8 lenses but this Hanimex looks exactly like Porst and Pentor above.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham: What leads you to believe that is Tokina made?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:

I can't remember Laughing Maybe it is a Tomioka Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I see that your images posted in the oversized gallery are indeed from FF. I wonder if that has something to do with the 3D-ish appearance. If you don't mind, I had asked in post 4th from the top of page 2 if you have any opinions of this Pentor when compared to the Meyer lenses you have.

In the coming days I'll try to organize a little shoot-out. I think the differences are small, although the Trioplan is certainly on another level Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
woodrim wrote:

Did you see the sample that is actually labeled Tomioka? Little space for confusion left here i think.

What about this one? Could it be our friend in metal dress: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=16881
Concave rear would give good argument.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:
woodrim wrote:

Did you see the sample that is actually labeled Tomioka? Little space for confusion left here i think.

What about this one? Could it be our friend in metal dress: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=16881
Concave rear would give good argument.

I don't see anything compelling with that one to say it's like the Chinon or Pentor. I couldn't make out the type of aperture blades.

Dimitry seemed to think the Pentor is not Tomioka, I think mainly because of the direction of the focus ring, but I'm still trying to get a handle on what shared characteristics are reasonable to come to a conclusion and what are disqualifiers. This is a curiosity mostly for me; I'm going to like the lens or not regardless of who made it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
woodrim wrote:

In the coming days I'll try to organize a little shoot-out. I think the differences are small, although the Trioplan is certainly on another level Wink

Thanks, Peter, but I wasn't asking you to go to great trouble. I would be happy hearing your opinion. Trioplan definitely will have a different bokeh, but as sharp? Trioplan is one of relatively few lenses that can be singled out easily. WHile I don't have any other 100mm lenses (although had considered a Vivitar), I have two 105 that I can include in some comparisons with this Pentor.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice to separate a collection co-created by Tomioka and among them find those lenses that excel. 1.4/55mm design and 2.8/100mm design is really good. 2.8/135mm and 3.5/200mm are nothing more then average i think, though i am in love with that bluish-yellow glass and leather grip.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

Yes there are also Tokina made 100/2.8 lenses but this Hanimex looks exactly like Porst and Pentor above.

I've checked my Vivitar 2.8/100mm - the same model as Newton's here: http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-100mm-f2-8-t10912.html

This would be the only Tokina contender i guess. But it's entirely different since rear element much more inside lens body.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Pentor 100mm - Tomioka Reply with quote

I have received my Pentor 100mm lens, which is identical to Peter's (discussed in this thread). I had been quite impressed with the results Peter shared with us in another thread, and in particular what I perceived to be a significant 3-D effect. In fact, I had posted about Peter's images in one of the 3-D threads, but that posting seems to have disappeared; I know not why. Anyway, I wondered if I would receive the same effect with my APS-C sensor that Peter did with his full frame. After my first outing on the past weekend, I'm not at all disappointed. This is truly a wonderful lens and if it wasn't made by Tomioka, I'd like to know who did make it.

The build quality is okay, but nothing great. My only real complaint is that the auto-manual switch is so close to the aperture ring that I frequently pushed it into auto while changing aperture. It focused faily easily and I could even see some of the 3-D in the viewfinder. Results are wonderful. I took several shots wide open for evaluation; they are surprisingly sharp - I'd even go as far as to say it has the best wide open performance of any of my lenses when everything is considered; sharpness, contrast, lack of CA, and pop. Sure, I have other very good wide open performers, but none that handle CA as well. Here are first results after a walkabout through downtown Charleston... and I have posted more here in the Best of Lenses Gallery http://forum.mflenses.com/pentor-2-8-100mm-t43494.html

Do you see 3-D? I do.

Tight crop.