Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentor 35mm f2.8 Anyone recognise this lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Pentor 35mm f2.8 Anyone recognise this lens? Reply with quote

I got this in a job lot and google seems to suggest that PENTOR is a branded version of CHINON lenses. Only mentions of a 100mm or a 28mm, but no mention of 35mm.

Does anyone recognise this as a CHINON?

Couple of samples taken this morning. Full set HERE

Seems reasonable on a SHORT(!) tube Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No-one recognise this at all?? Maybe Pentor manufactured rather than badged?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentor was used as a label for Praktica stuff from (most Japanese) other manufacturers. The Dutch importer used the names of Pentacon and Orwo to create this label.
I have a Pentor 300mm 5.6, but its design is not alike your lens.

Last edited by Minolfan on Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen Photax Paragon lenses in this style too. And Palar.

http://forum.mflenses.com/two-film-camera-bodies-and-a-lens-t14636.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures look quite good.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

That auto palalr does look extremely similar, but optical layout must be different because it's f3.5 and my pentor is f2.8???

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Pictures look quite good.

Yes. Not hugely sharp but color and contrast seem ok and distortion and ca well under control Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Pentor was used as a label for Praktica stuff from (most Japanese) other manufacturers. The Dutch importer used the names of Pentacon and Orwo to create this label.
I have a Pentor 300mm 5.6, but its design is not alike your lens.

Yes, I have seen references to Pentor being a Dutch concern. I know they had branded Praktica camera bodies, but from what I have seen on the net, most seem to have been sold with Pentacon or Praktica lenses, rather than anythin Pentor branded.

No-one is jumping up and claiming my lens as a CHINON though, so still no further forward with identifying the manufacturer. Lenses actually marked PENTOR certainly don't seem very common though, especially in this focal length. A half decent performer though, to my eyes.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to pick up a Pentor 35mm f2.8 and a Pentor 135mm f2.8 this afternoon for 10 € each.
Will post some samples later.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep an eye out for the Pentor 100/2.8 - quite good.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodrim : will do Wink

So, the 2 lenses are in pristine condition (almost new, no wears, dust or fungus, focus really smooth). The 71 years old seller was suprised that I bought 2 lenses he had and not his Practika camera with 50mm 2.8 (or 3.5, don't remember). I said that those kind of lenses can work with nowadays DSLR.
Only one drawback for the 135mm f2.8 : thought that baldes were stuck @ 2.8 but after dissasembling (again, see my Kaleinar story Very Happy ), the problem is that one of the 2 springs that controls the blades mecanism is very tired. It seems that it's due to too many years where the lens was waiting in its box, wide open.
I can't post samples now because I thought that I had the right adapter for my Nikon body but I was wrong. Mine is a T mount adapter, close to M42 but It won't work.

So, I see many adapters on the Bay : with or without glass (for infinity focus). I red that ones with glass fix the focus infinity but glass isn't quite so good. So, many prefer without glass for better results. Now, I have to wait almost 3-4 weeks for the right adapter to come from China.

Last edited by Ghost2501 on Thu May 03, 2012 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

Yes, I have two Photax / Paragon lenses - 28mm & 135mm - in very similar style, but I think mine are Cimko lenses with the asymmetric green diamond as the focusing mark - unlike the red 'thermometer' mark on this lens. But the straight knurling on the focus ring is something I've only seen on Photax / Paragon - but I could be wrong on that point.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my M42 to Nikon adapter today (one without glass).
First test with the Pentor 35mm f2.8. Focus depth is very short (from above 30cm to 100cm max).

Test @2.8

100% crop

Test @F4.0

No post-processing, only RAW to JPEG conversion.

It's a shame that focus depth is so short. I'll give a change to a Kood adapter with glass, it seems to be the best among them.
I'll test the Pentor 135mm stuck @2.8 tomorrow but it appears that the focus range is larger than the 35mm one.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost2501 wrote:
I received my M42 to Nikon adapter today (one without glass).
First test with the Pentor 35mm f2.8. Focus depth is very short (from above 30cm to 100cm max).

Test @2.8
100% crop

Looks excellent! Is your lens is identical to the one in the first post?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Globally, yes but :

- mine says 'Pentor Automatic 1:2.8 f=35mm' and filter diameter is 55mm.
- the focus grip is different
- the rear lens barrel is also different

I'll take a picture soon.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is :

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fast samples of the Pentor 135mm f2.8 (mine is in mint condition but stucked @f2.Cool. It's funny because compared to his little 35mm brother, focus ring is inverted.

My Cat

Hobocat

Hobocat 100% crop

Good colour saturation but a little soft wide open et some CA. Will be a good paper weight Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is part of made in Korea series: http://forum.mflenses.com/lenses-from-korea-t48723.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly the same as the Revuenon:
http://forum.mflenses.com/revuenon-spezial-12-8-f35mm-made-in-japan-t6882.html
Just the beauty ring is different, it says Pentor and not Revuenon.

Btw, I like this lens. (Have the Revuenon.)