Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina RMC 28mm f2.0
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Tokina RMC 28mm f2.0 Reply with quote

Is anybody can confirm it, lens is exists ?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this is legit or not but there was one on eBay recently: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-used-RMC-TORINA-Wide-angle-Lens-/170920258298?item=170920258298&ViewItem=&nma=true&si=u3%2FkEcNi%2Fi5%2BOL9qWOaXyLoAMGI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure, but I've never heard of it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks guys! Ebay sale prove it , exists!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Many thanks guys! Ebay sale prove it , exists!

assuming seller didnt list a f2.8 lens as f2.0 in error!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a picture in that eBay ad.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can find :

http://www.jr-worldwi.de/photo/index.html?28mm_shootout.html

http://www.jr-worldwi.de/photo/index.html?lenses.html <-- Lens picture right there

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does exists
that's the same lens I've got. http://forum.mflenses.com/tokina-rmc-28mm-f2-any-info-t53416.html

The filter ring is slightly bent and it need a clean but otherwise it is OK

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here are some processed samples with Olympus E-P2 and EOS 20D resized to 1600 (click to enlarge).
I think most of them wide open.
Overally I'm not very impressed with it, but maybe that\s just because I'm spoiled by the 2.8/28 Contax G Biogon Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the same as my Soligor C/D 2 / 28 that I have in Minolta MD mount. I have only tried on the XD7 and I seem to remember I wasn't impressed, so it went into a box and I forgot about it. I'll give it a try on the NEX if I get a chance today.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know how to capture eyes very well! I also have this lens in Soligor brand. A fine lens.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for some reason, the lens looks older than most rmc tokinas. Late 70's rather than early 80's?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is sharpness in this lens, I've seen it. But it's bloody hard to nail down! I took it out today in some sunshine that soon became grey cloud and flat light. I took over 100 shots with it and if I got 10% sharp I would be surprised. But I don't think there's a big fault with the lens, I think it's got a very shallow DoF for the aperture, if such a thing is technically possible?
I took some landscape shots that have great colour and look, at small size, wonderful. Start to blow them up and they are soft. not what I would expect from tripod shots with the NEX5 at ISO 800 on a sunny day. ( I would normally shoot at a maximum of ISO 400 or less but I forgot to change the setting )
I then took a series of shots of some fungus in the woods, the light was constant and again I used a good tripod and the timer.
The main thing I noticed is that keeping the focus set at one point and going the aperture range is not an option with this lens, doing that resulted in a completely useless shot at f2, and f2 is one of the attractions of this lens. I've included a shot at f2 with the lens focus readjusted which is marginally better

All these shots are from the NEX5 at ISO 800, on a tripod.

f16

f11

f8

f5.6

f4

f2.8

f2

Focus readjusted at f2

This is typical of the landscapes I got today, great colours but soft soft soft!

I know there is sharpness in the lens, I love the colours, it's a well made and attractive lens, it has half stops and it's a fast f2 aperture. But it sure as hell isn't an easy lens to get the best out of.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty good for a 'noname' lens , many thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful children series, STD!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great portrait lens, almost a soft focus image superimposed over a sharp one.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,
My boy is Martin 7 years old and going to school at first grade, and the baby girl is Reya- 7 months already. I miss getting a good sleep lately Smile but not complaining they are great kids.

I will see how the lens will behave after the cleaning - now it has some light fungus. Our repairman here was on a vacation in last 3 weeks and i have stocked a big pile of lenses for him already Smile.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one of those sold on eBay. Looks exactly like the Soligor version, down to the C/D designation. I wonder if the front ring was swapped maybe? Click here to see on Ebay.de

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems not: http://www.digicamclub.de/showthread.php?t=9360
I guess Tokina didn't made different body design to sell under its own brand.