Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The term "cheap" lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: The term "cheap" lens Reply with quote

I am not sure if it is fair to freely use the term "cheap" lens, and I kind of get disappointed when people throw that term around freely. I think every lens, almost every lens, can be used to its optimum depending on the initial conditions.

I would like to suggest that people who throw the term 'cheap' lens around either are referring to something else, as in "I paid nothing for it." or are being very loose with their language, but, hopefully, not derogatory.

I think you can take a great pic with almost any lens, but it really depends on the initial conditions. I would like to venture that the use of "cheap" might mean that the user of that lens simply has not mastered that lens for its optimum conditions or the art...

Just a thought for the careful use of the term "cheap". I have lots of "cheap" lenses that I can make perform well, in general. I also have "expensive" lenses. Most of these lenses were not "cheap" at one time. I am not talking about *all* lenses, of course.

It doesn't matter: take what you have and do something amazing with it. Smile Very Happy My idealistic philosophy for now. lol.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some lenses are cheap and perform good, others are cheap and perform crappy... i think most users here rarely have anything derogatory to say about them, mostly they warn other users when the lens doesn't perform well

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my point of clarification on newton's issue... I do understand that for many on this forum English is a second language, and while some do amazingly well, others are getting by. Either way, I'm impressed with anyone who has multilingual skills. However, there are many subtleties and slangs, and multiple uses of words in the English language that I would think can be confusing or misunderstood. For instance, what is the difference between cheap and inexpensive? While inexpensive is always a relative term, it generally means less costly and is not necessarily a quality indication. However, while people use the word cheap interchangeably with inexpensive, there is a difference in connotation. Cheap can also mean low in quality. For instance, we might develop a perception that something made in Bongoland is cheap, or cheaply made, it will also likely be inexpensive. But then something can definitely be inexpensive without being cheap.

Then there's the relative thing where some people call a $400 lens inexpensive, others call it unobtainable, but it likely isn't cheap by any one's definition.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Woodrim! I will try to not forget it and use this term on this way.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for fun I will add to the conversation.

I have three inexpensive, some may call cheap, Sears lenses that produce surprisingly good images considering the cost. So it was not with any hesitation that I bid on another, a 28/2.8, 1:4 macro & won the auction. Well this lens performs OK @ the macro end but when compared to my Vivitar 28/2.8 for regular shots it is soft even @ f5.6 & it sits now in the back of the cupboard. I am not inclined to call it cheap but rather "piss poor". Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap is from cheapskate, to describe people like who leave no tip or not enough, when tip is expected, or someone whose kids get no allowance...

Plastic AF lens bodies have a cheap feel to me compared to metal body MF lens -- like manufacturer is cheapskate for using plastic instead of metal, and for skimping on the focus ring throw and ditching the aperture ring entirely.

BUT, Laughing 'I got it cheap' usually means 'it was inexpensive', rarely means 'I feel like a cheapskate', and never means 'I am a cheapskate' Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

revers wrote:
Well, for fun I will add to the conversation.

Well this lens performs OK @ the macro end but when compared to my Vivitar 28/2.8 for regular shots it is soft even @ f5.6 & it sits now in the back of the cupboard. I am not inclined to call it cheap but rather "piss poor". Rolling Eyes

I got a big chuckle out of that! Wink

Yes, I agree and am thankful for the clarification. I am also impressed by multi-lingual people. Kudos to all!

I got a new inexpensive lens today. In fact, I got a whole camera and two lenses and a leather bag with pro photography levers for $20. To throw in even more surprises, the camera came loaded with film already in it. It smells as though it is 40 years old, though (kinda like piss)! We will have to see how this one goes......(after cleaning and polishing up a bit). Yeah for inexpensive good stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question, i recently had a debate about that exact word lol Smile.

Me personally, I use the word cheap usually for something of poor quality, but then again It all depends on the whole sentence I guess. Sometimes Ill use it and mean inexpensive as well.

But like someone mentioned, It all depends on persons native language, slang and other factors.

As for language skills, Im pretty good with German, and know a fair amount of Turkish (dont ask me why Smile) and all the contries around Bosnia (former Yugoslavia) speak same language really, I can understand some stuff In Polish, Russian etc etc , so that makes...what 10 languages? LoL

I suck at Math though! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well many native English speakers forget that other nationalities are reading what they post and it must be confusing to some around the world esp using slang words like "peanuts" instead of "cheap" Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my mother language cheap = inexpensive exactly no difference , we have different world for 'cheap' what means same than in English. Always good to learn and improve my English.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that most of the time when people refer to lenses as "cheap" they mean that considering today's lenses prices they were evidently cheap because they did cost a very small sum of money compared with either they're AutoFocus cousins or simply they're real value (either photographically speaking or economical).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think context is important, the other words are used with 'cheap'. If we say something is "amazingly cheap" or "a good cheap deal" or "I got it cheap", those are positive. If we say that something is "cheap crap" or "cheap and shoddy", those are negative. But not as bad as "costly crap", eh?

Without such modifiers, the meaning may be neutral. For instance, I may refer to cheap macro tubes and bellows. I don't mean that they are low quality, just that they cost very little, and maybe have limited functions. So we must look beyond 'cheap' and see what else is being said.

Some of my cheap stuff:

* Sears-Tomioka 55/1.4 (US$2.25)
* Vivitar-Komine 90/2.8 macro (US$3)
* Tamron BBAR 28/2.5 (US$4)
* silver CZJ Tessar 50/2.8 (US$7)
* Super-Takumar 55/1.8 (US$7.45)
* Nikkor 85/2 (US$9)
* SMC F35-70 (US$11.20)
* some fast FD's, US$9 each

All those were "cheap deals". Were/are they "cheap lenses"? Not cheap as in shoddy crap, for sure! Just cheap as in, WOW I REALLY SCORED!

* Schneider Betavaron 50-125/4-5.6 (US$70.45)

That doesn't look like such a cheap deal. But consider that the retail price was US$3500. Well hell yes, that WAS a cheap deal. I REALLY SCORED!

* Pentax SMC-A 35-80/4-5.6 (US$13)

That does not look like a bad price for a Pentax SMC A-series zoom. But the lens is plastic crap -- cheap in the very negative sense. I BOMBED!

Thus, like much of human discourse, a word like 'cheap' may be quite ambiguous, open to various interpretations. And personal perception makes a difference. To me, a US$1 hamburger is a cheap snack. To my sister-in-law (a retired high-level executive), a trifle for US$40 is a cheap snack. To her vodka-swilling husband, US$200 pays for a cheap lens or a very cheap evening at a bar. Cheapness is relative. And some relatives are cheap, but that's another story... Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting discussion. I also think that "cheap" can be misunderstood easily. I often use the term "affordable" instead, knowing that this also is rather relative: Bill Gates would use that term differently from me. Wink

But we perhaps really should avoid the word "cheap" without further explanations.

RioRico wrote:

* Sears-Tomioka 55/1.4 (US$2.25)
* Vivitar-Komine 90/2.8 macro (US$3)
* Tamron BBAR 28/2.5 (US$4)
* silver CZJ Tessar 50/2.8 (US$7)
* Super-Takumar 55/1.8 (US$7.45)
* Nikkor 85/2 (US$9)
* SMC F35-70 (US$11.20)

Shocked Those were not just "cheap", these prices are absolutely amazing!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange, all dictionaries I found translate adjective cheap as a synonim to inexpensive at the first place:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cheap
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cheap
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cheap

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dictionary...

try to translate some words to your mother language for example 'take or get' the worst ones perhaps Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RioRico wrote:
I think context is important, ...Cheapness is relative. And some relatives are cheap, but that's another story... Wink

But relatives are never inexpensive. Context IS important and the only reason the words are used interchangeably. It really comes down to the communicator and the listener both must understand the context. However, the words can be used for their different specific meanings without anyone getting confused. This is only one example of how we use or misuse the English language. My intent was just to inform the international community as well as address the initial posters concerns.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
This is an interesting discussion. I also think that "cheap" can be misunderstood easily. I often use the term "affordable" instead, knowing that this also is rather relative: Bill Gates would use that term differently from me. Wink

Laughing
maybe "inexpensive" instead?
That should work for Bill Gates, too Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like RioRico I, and most of the English people I know, tend to use 'cheap' with a modifier, so we use 'cheap' to mean both 'inexpensive', "Hey, that's cheap" and poor quality, "Hey, that's cheap shit".

It took centuries to make our language so complicated. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm late to getting to this discussion, but I made it at least. I really enjoy it when the members here get into discussions like this. It's the linguist side of me, I guess.

I prefer to take more of a sociolinguistic stance with a discussion like this -- i.e., to me it is most enjoyable to play the role of observer and analyze people's preferences when it comes to various usages. The fact that many, if not most of the people who post here use a language other than English as their primary language makes it all the more interesting.

"Cheap" is a classic example of an English word that has some amount of unalterable ambiguity associated with it because of its semantic duality. This forces either the user to disambiguate, or the listener to attempt to disambiguate through observation. The disambiguation can be brought about by including modifiers, as has been mentioned already, as well as supra segmentals, and even non-vocal cues. Supra segmentals, btw, are vocalized expressions that carry meaning but are not necessarily words. For example, one's tone of voice can indicate sarcasm when one says, "Now that's just great!" The tone of voice used to reverse the meaning of the sentence is a supra segmental. The rising tonal inflection at the end of a yes/no question in English is a supra segmental.

But of course, within the medium of a forum, the use of nonverbal cues and suprasegmentals is not possible, and emoticons are all too often a poor substitute. So in order to disambiguate, the most effective approach is to use modifiers. Often, all it takes is something like an exclamatory adverb to successfully disambiguate "cheap," as in: 'an amazingly cheap lens'. In this example, I doubt anyone would associate a possible lack of quality with the lens and, if anything, would probably do just the opposite.

But honestly, if this situation were to come up for real here at the forum, I would be quite surprised if the meaning weren't determined exactly within the span of a couple of posts. So to me this is a tempest in a teapot. Right up there with the use of "shoot" instead of "take" for recording images with a camera.

As a linguist I will always be in opposition to proscriptive advice and tactics when it comes to language ("you must say this, you cannot say that") because language needs flexibility in order to grow and thrive. So it is best for the writer to be cognizant of a lack of clarity as one is composing one's post and insert such modifiers as is required to make meaning clear . . . or not. Cool

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi cooltouch
If on the forum there was a similar set-up but instead of English being the international language we were all speaking German, Russian or Japanese etc ......would there be more or less problems compared to using English?
My guess would be:- there are more slang words and different meanings for the same words, in English, than any other language.....the Oxford dictionary site says:- 600,000 words added in a 1000 years.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a word you use like "cheap" will be understood by your main audience in the sense that you mean it, there's no problem. If it's likely to be taken in the wrong sense by many in your audience, clarify how you mean it or use a better understood substitute.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Hi cooltouch
If on the forum there was a similar set-up but instead of English being the international language we were all speaking German, Russian or Japanese etc ......would there be more or less problems compared to using English?
My guess would be:- there are more slang words and different meanings for the same words, in English, than any other language.....the Oxford dictionary site says:- 600,000 words added in a 1000 years.

It is generally accepted that the English language has about three times as many words as German. Counting here of course depends on how you define the term "word". Wink Anyway, English does have more words than German for sure.

English has not only been influenced by different languages, it also is a highly productive language. That is one point why it is so interesting! Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RioRico wrote:
I think context is important,

Context is hugely important and non native English speakers often miss this point.
Personally, I often refer to cheap lenses as "Cheapo". This can be used both as a derogatory term and as a compliment or even sometimes as both in the same sentence, depending on the context.
Lets say someone called X tells me that they bought a CZJ Tessar 50mm f2.8 and that it cost them 100 say. I am familiar with the said lens, as I have one, and I know its poor performer and that it was'nt worth anywhere near that much.
In this instance I might say to the person "Blimey!, thats expensive!, even my cheapo 3 Pentacon 50mm f1.8 works better than the Tessar!"
So in that context cheapo is used as a derogatory term for the Tessar and as a compliment for the Pentacon, at the same time!
The word cheap can also mean immoral, loathsome, disgusting...For instance when referring to a prostiute/whore for instance, you may call her cheap as an insult, but again the context has to be taken into account.
In common English parlence the word cheap is rarely used on its own and when describing how inexpensive something is...It is often preceded by words such as:
"quite", "very", "really", "bloody", "ultra", "super", "mega", "hugely", or more often than not "Fu&#kin"!
The word inexpensive is also sometimes preceded by one or more of the words above too.
When you might simply want to write that a lens did'nt cost you a lot of money, you might say something like: "I bought x lens today, its fantastic and the best bit was I got it very cheap". Obviously that is a self-celebratory sentence with no derogotory overtones...So you simply have to read between the lines to get the context. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Hi cooltouch

Welp, I can't speak to Russian, having never studied it. My German is pretty rusty, since I haven't studied it since high school. And so is my Japanese, since it's been about 14 years since my last class, and maybe 10 years since I've had to carry on conversations using it. These days I'm studying Italian and Chinese. Smile

I suspect that each and every language will have areas of ambiguity that are addressed on a case-by-case basis. I know, for example, in Japanese the word ashi can mean either 'leg' or 'foot' and the meaning as to which is meant is made clear in context. Take a look at Chinese, for example: it is a language that is primarily monosyllabic, and as a result it has a tremendous number of homophones. Their meaning is most often differentiated by the use of tones (rising, falling, falling-rising, high). But in many cases, even the tones are the same, so it's up to the language users to determine what is meant. English has many homophones also, as in 'read' (past tense) and 'red', or 'bit' (the metal piece that goes in a horse's mouth) and 'bit' (a tiny amount of something).

It can be argued that 'cheap' is different, though. It isn't really a case of dual homophones, but dual meanings of a single word. And I suppose this is another area where English's flexibility shows through. For example, 'speaker' can mean either a person giving a speech or a box with sound-emitting devices inside -- or even one of the sound-emitting devices itself. 'Bed' can mean either the piece of furniture one sleeps on or a mineral deposit. Many other examples, and the only way to know which is which is by context. I suspect that, usually, the differences are far enough apart such that disambiguation is seldom necessary. In the case of 'cheap', though, its dual meanings are close enough to each other where they can be more easily confused.

DSG's comments regarding context are on the money, IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, a cheap lens is one I have some chance of buying. Ideally, it could give me "professional quality" results in what I do with it, despite its low price.