Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The sexiest MF lens ;)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: The sexiest MF lens ;) Reply with quote

here's my result from experimenting to get reasonable results
with macro-wideangle shooting:

MF Vivitar Marcro Conveter +
SMC A 28/2.8 +
Kenko 180° Fisheye with 49mm adapter to fit on the SMC28.

- and here are some samples especially for Klaus Wink ...

I personally like the kind of "retro"-style (vigletting etc ..) of the photographs which this combo produces.

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#10 for me - but a very adventurous (and successful) group of pictures Tobias

patrickh

That is a monstrous heap on the front of the camera. Did you use a tripod?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

No tripod necessary with this lens. I had the SMC on f2.8 (!), so lot's of light going into the camera. There would be more sharpnes when stopped down to f4-5.6 but I was choosing for the faster (safer) shutterspeeds (between 1/80 - 1/200).

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tobias, nice images and unusual views. Good idea.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting Tobias and very good results!

How close were you with that Kenko lens to the object?

Last edited by kds315* on Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the effect you got in these, Tobias, excellent work!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extraordinary, Tobias. I'm speechless.

Thomas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This got me thinking: Minolta MD 16/2.8 with a small extension tube might work for me?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for commenting !

@Klaus

Quote:
How close were you with that Kenko lens to the object?

That depends ... with each photograph a bit different.
some of the object were nearly touching or touching the lens. Some where some mm till lets say 10 cm away.
There's still a lot to discover with focsing with the vivitar and same time the SMC ... to get different bokeh effects.

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remarkable. I really like the first mushroom (and I still don't quite understand how you fitted these lenses together)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be an award for unconventional thinking and your photo examples shows it pays off. Thank you for sharing!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea and some great resultst here!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I still don't quite understand how you fitted these lenses together

@PaulC

The Vivitar comes in PK mount and connects PK mount lenses, so with the SMC A 28/2.8 no problem. The Kenko Fisheye is screwed with a adapter ring (49mm filter ring adapter) on the filter ring of the SMC... that's it ...
49mm is handy for me, because it fits my SMC 28/24/50 and my flek 35/2.4. So I can experiment with various focal lengths.

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good experiment !!

The perspective is SO DRAMATIC!!!

tf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tobbsman wrote:
Quote:

No tripod necessary with this lens. I had the SMC on f2.8 (!), so lot's of light going into the camera. There would be more sharpnes when stopped down to f4-5.6 but I was choosing for the faster (safer) shutterspeeds (between 1/80 - 1/200).

Cheers
Tobias

Well, with that adapter combination it is not f/2.8, but something quite a bit slower.

Why did you use macro converter? I have the same fisheye-adapter (though, brand is Soligor, but it's the same lens, I'm sure), and even without any extra, other than the lens one attaches the 180-fisheye into, the focus can be really close.

How much CA does this fisheye adapter give you? Mine gives loads - Lightroom can only almost fix it Smile

Anyhow, nice pictures. You reminded me to go and try to fool around with the Soligor someday soon Smile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, with that adapter combination it is not f/2.8, but something quite a bit slower.

Of course, it's f5.6 then ... with the fisheye in front even more.

Quote:
Why did you use macro converter? I have the same fisheye-adapter (though, brand is Soligor, but it's the same lens, I'm sure), and even without any extra, other than the lens one attaches the 180-fisheye into, the focus can be really close.

not with mine, I can't got till some mm to the lens. with the Vivitar I can even focus on lens-touching objects.

Quote:
How much CA does this fisheye adapter give you? Mine gives loads - Lightroom can only almost fix it Smile

Just watch the samples, I didn't do any CA corrections. Best you can see the green CAs in the trees. But not too dramatic for my taste.

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting point of view.

The fisheye-macro shots are really difficult IMHO. I've done some shots with DA10-17-zoom as it also focuses quite close, but it is really hard to compose such a shot Smile.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tobbsman wrote:

not with mine, I can't got till some mm to the lens. with the Vivitar I can even focus on lens-touching objects.

Ah, I can set the focus from beyond infinity to inside the aux-lens itself with a regular 50mm lens Smile

I do have a step down ring between the aux-lens and the lens itself and that may have some effect.

tobbsman wrote:

Quote:

Just watch the samples, I didn't do any CA corrections. Best you can see the green CAs in the trees. But not too dramatic for my taste.

Cheers
Tobias

The samples are too small for much CA to show, but it seems you have less than I for some reason, though can say for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ah, I can set the focus from beyond infinity to inside the aux-lens itself with a regular 50mm lens Smile

Interesting. When I take a 50mm lens I don't get the frame filled out, I just get a small "fisheye-circle" which does not even fill out 1/4th of the frame.

Quote:
I do have a step down ring between the aux-lens and the lens itself and that may have some effect.

Yes, that sounds reasonable ...

Quote:
The samples are too small for much CA to show

You're very right Wink
I'll post some bigger stuff with the worst-case-CAs later ...

Actually I also thought that the Soligor Fisheye is more less the same product as the Kenko, but obviously it isn't...

By the way which 50mm lens did you use ?

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tobbsman wrote:
Quote:

Interesting. When I take a 50mm lens I don't get the frame filled out, I just get a small "fisheye-circle" which does not even fill out 1/4th of the frame.

Weird - for me the frame does not fill out either, but maybe 75% frame only. What you describe is what happens if I use a 35mm lens.

tobbsman wrote:

Actually I also thought that the Soligor Fisheye is more less the same product as the Kenko, but obviously it isn't...

The lenses sure do look identical, so this is surprising.

tobbsman wrote:

By the way which 50mm lens did you use ?

Cheers
Tobias

I have two 50mm lenses and I've tried both of them - SMC Tak 1.4 and CZJ Tessar 2.8. I've not yet done any real comparison, but the output looks very similar with each lens.