Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The reason why I am selling so many lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: The reason why I am selling so many lenses Reply with quote

Here's the reason why I am selling much more lenses than I originally planned to (If I sell the 3 on Ebay now, it will be 10 lenses sold in less than two weeks!)

The reason is not only to finance my vacation. I also have stumbled onto a great occasion last week. An almost brand new Leitz Summicron-R 90mm. The lens was with the original box, guarantee and caps. It's a 3-cam (so it is mountable on all Leica reflex cams), and with this lens there is no different versions optically speaking, they are all the same glass before the model was discontinued in favour of the Apo version.

The price was 350 Euros including express courier shipment. But most importantly it was coming from a part of Italy that I totally trust, so I was very confident in the purchase.
I hesitated some days, because I never really planned this lens in my purchases. But I realized that an occasion like this may never come back, everything was perfect: like new state of lens, accessories, price, trustable seller.
So I decided to get it before someone else did.

Instead of spending money from the bank, I decided to finance it with the sale of some lenses of my collection. For some of them, like the old NIkkors, of the Helios, it is painful. But I had to face the reality, as beautiful as those lenses were, I was never using them, they were just lying on a shelf hoping not to get fungus in the wait.
Other lenses, like the MIR-20M, were really a "caprice" - although a very nice one to own, the MIR-20 is a lens that is still in production, and his value is destined to decrease with the years, because it's a cheap lens still being manufactured.

So the overall thought was: to convert the previous investment in many cheaper lenses with not much perspective value, into the investment of just one lens that will retain it's value over the years at the very worst - and will increase it, more probably, the more years pass and the more this copy will be like new in the future.

So I went for this purchase in a very business-minded way, something that I don't do very often.
But since I have to invest money in the lenses (because I have the G.A.S. and can't help it), I said to myself, "at least let's make an investment that is 100% solid".

So here's the new guy, in all it's shining glory:

So as you can see, the lens REALLY looks like new. The glasses are incredible, pretty perfect. Probably never even cleaned once. The owner got it for a short time, then decided to move to the Apo version.

You should feel this lens in your hand to experience the incredible sensation of pure glass and metal power - so solid! Not just that - you can feel the mechanical precision also - no I'm not nuts (not completely!), with the Leitz and Zeiss lenses, you can really do. They feel like build in a different world.

I have already made some test that show important qualities. It's not as sharp as my Elmarit. But I think it's better suited for portraits - now if only I had a model that didn't wear so much fur also in the summer...
Wink

BTW in the shop I sometimes go to, a Summicron-R in this condition, complete with the original casing and accessories, always sells for not less than 600 Euros.
And this is now, in 10 years from now I figure the value will be much more.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A beauty Cool

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Orio! Yep, a beauty! I'll be glad when its paperweight stage
is over so I can see some pics? Laughing

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made one rushed test image earlier, before dawn.
COnsider that there was almost zero available light. It was extremely difficult to focus (the chip did not sound because it was too dark).
The speed is 1600 ISO, so the quality is limited by this:

wide open of course.

Later I'll make more tests.

_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good gawd, that is just superb! You have to be tickled pink about this!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, this lens is made in Canada! But I don't see a red maple leaf,
maybe it's on the other side of the lens. Laughing Here I thought all Leica
lenses were made in Germany.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Good gawd, that is just superb! You have to be tickled pink about this!

Yes, I think "impressive" is a good word for this lens overall.

It's very different in character from my Elmarit.

I'd say that this one is "zeissier", if I wasn't afraid that it may sound as an insult to Leica hardcore fans. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to worry, I looked it up, "zeissier" is not in the dictionary. Maybe a
French dictionary. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Orio, this lens is made in Canada! But I don't see a red maple leaf,
maybe it's on the other side of the lens. Laughing

I picked it for me leaf collection Razz

Katastrofo wrote:
Here I thought all Leica
lenses were made in Germany.

They built a factory in Canada to provide lenses for the rich North_American market without the heavy burden of customs importation charges from Europe.
The difference with Zeiss is that Zeiss brokered the lens production to Kyocera (and now does the same to Cosina), while Leica Canada was under all respects a Leitz factory with Leitz ownership.

Leitz also opened another factory in Portugal, mostly for building camera bodies as far as I know.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are you saying Zeiss has no auspices over the production of lenses
that bear its name? Is there no end to life's disillusionment and
outsourcing is truly hear to stay? Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good looking paperweight as Bill said Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good reason!!

Guido

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A real beauty. I fully understand your decision and would act like you, if I had such a chance.

Michael

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
So are you saying Zeiss has no auspices over the production of lenses
that bear its name? Is there no end to life's disillusionment and
outsourcing is truly hear to stay? Laughing

No no. Zeiss had their technician there to follow the production and they have their routine of quality control of the lenses that is impressive (I think they mention it somewhere on zeiss.de). You don't find dogs in the Japan production of the Contax lenses. it is true, however, that there is a small difference in the character of the lenses. The Japanese production was inclined to make slightly sharper lenses wide open, with slightly less presence of the (in)famous "3D effect". You can read for instance what this Italian reviewer says about the 85/1.4 Planar:

http://www.nadir.it/ob-fot/contax_eyes.htm

I have had the occasion of testing Japan made and German made version of the lenses. Only in two occasions I have found differences:

1) the Sonnar 2.8/85 made in Germany was slightly sharper close-up than the Japan version, which was a little bit more contrasty. I tested them in the shop. After one hour of tests, I have bought the Germany version. The shop guys saw the photo tests and agreed with my decision

2) the Planar 1.4/85 made in Japan is in fact slightly sharper wide open than the Germany made one; so I can confirm this part of the review, although I am not so sure about the 3D part

I also tested the 1.4/35 Distagon Japan and Germany versions, but I have found absolutely zero differences.

My conclusion is that to buy the Japan made Contax lenses is absolutely safe. The difference with the German versions is really minimal, if any at all. Actually in some cases the Japan version is safer, because it's more recent. One example is the Distagon 2.8/28: the later versions had the optical scheme slightly corrected. There is no serial number information like with Leica to ascertain if a Dist 28 is early or late. so the safe practice in this case is to always stay with the Japan versions, which are generally later than the German versions.
Same thing for the 25/2.8 Distagon, also optically improved in the later models.

Last edited by Orio on Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:28 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: The reason why I am selling so many lenses Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
So the overall thought was: to convert the previous investment in many cheaper lenses with not much perspective value, into the investment of just one lens that will retain it's value over the years at the very worst - and will increase it, more probably, the more years pass and the more this copy will be like new in the future.

This is an absolutely reasonable decision. Something I have also been thinking about for a while. I just don't want to (and paying for a house, cars and a family cannot) buy those high quality lenses.
I, however, would like to thin out my lens collection and only keep those lenses I really will use often.
The problem is that I do not really have a few lenses that clearly outshine the others. So it is pretty difficult to chose which lens I would sell - apart from those which will not get my any money anyway. Wink

Just to give you an example of my "dilemma":
Which of those 35mm lenses would you sell?
Porst 1.8/35
Nikkor-O 2.0/35
MIR-1B 2.8/37
Tak 3.5/35
(All in very good condition and the MIR in mint condition.)

The one that is most likely the first one to go is the Porst, although it is my fastest 35mm lens...

Pretty similar situation with my 28mm and 135mm lenses.

Orio wrote:
You should feel this lens in your hand to experience the incredible sensation of pure glass and metal power - so solid! Not just that - you can feel the mechanical precision also - no I'm not nuts (not completely!), with the Leitz and Zeiss lenses, you can really do. They feel like build in a different world.

Yes, I can understand that. The rare occasions when I was able to handle some Leitz lenses (at my favourite camera fair) constantly remind me of this feeling.

Last edited by LucisPictor on Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borges wrote:
A real beauty. I fully understand your decision and would act like you, if I had such a chance.
Michael

Yes... I tell you, what really pushed me, is that it's really a like new lens. If it was a used one, I would have given it up - one can always find many that are used, at even better prices. But this one looked like just out of the factory. I just couldn't let it go.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: The reason why I am selling so many lenses Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

This is an absolutely reasonable decision. Something I have also been thinking about for a while. I just don't want to (and paying for a house, cars and a family cannot) buy those high quality lenses.

I understand this. I am currently taking advantage of the fact that I don't have a family anymore (meaning as no one I have to feed) and I don't have to pay for a house because I will have the house of my parents one day, so for now I can just pay a rent. When you have a wife and children, the perspective changes completely, and you have to save money for them.

LucisPictor wrote:

I, however, would like to thin out my lens collection and only keep those lenses I really will use often.
The problem is that I do not really have a few lenses that clearly outshine the others. So it is pretty difficult to chose which lens I would sell - apart from those which will not get my any money anyway. Wink

Yes, I understand this completely.
I usually base my decision on the "I use it" vs. "I don't use it" factor.
When it's clear that I am not using a lens, like the case of the Nikkor 35mm I sold to you, I sell it, because it makes no sense to keep such a beautiful lens for nothing.
Also yes, I have some lenses that have zero value, like the Helios-44s, the Industar 50mm, etc., those I will keep because they just have no resale market.
Which brings us to another reasoning: we should be very careful when buying new lenses we don't have an absolute necessity for. Like for instance a lens in a focal lenght we already have another one. In those cases, we should always make sure that the lens we are going to buy is actually reseallable one day. Otherwise, it's really wasted money.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I am rarely impressed anymore, but I have to admit that this one impressed me.

Wide open:

_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lighting on that is really interesting, like its been lit for a movie. The greens are saturated to the point of excess!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I find impressive is that it feels like I am looking at a stereo slide.

_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A duck, unfortunately quite front-focused.
But still interesting I think for seeing the transitions blurred to focused to blurred.
Also wide-open:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another two feathered guys:

_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent image quality!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[some test shots by Orio...}

This is one of the moments I wonder if I should quit collecting the russian stuff. And to buy only one leica/leitz oder zeiss lens. Or to realize that I'm a typical geek and have no ability to take pictures with such a lighting, sharpness and 3dimensional effect.
I'm absolutely frustrated that this cock duck test shot is showing more quality than all of my efforts. Evil or Very Mad

Bäh Shocked

Michael

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borges wrote:

I'm absolutely frustrated that this cock duck test shot is showing more quality than all of my efforts. Evil or Very Mad
Bäh Shocked
Michael

This is not true!!!!!
You have made some beautiful photographs, I have seen them!!
I have zero merit on this test picture, the lens is what made it nice to see. But in the long run, it is always the photographer that wins, not the lens.