Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The Great Cheapo Lens Challenge - 3 (Focal 2.8/28)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like my copy of this lens and I think it's a highly underrated 28mm.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@David: When you get the lens later in the competition you could compare it to your example. But I doubt it would have a different character.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens is on its way to Portugal.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely plan to run side-by-side tests!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pst wrote:
The lens is on its way to Portugal.

Thanks Patrick, brilliant work.

This lens definitely looks the best of the three to me. The 5D gives it a strenuous test of corner to corner performance, which I think it handles very well compared to the others. I really like the church entrance picture very much, and the landscape is fantastic.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the corner performance is good stopped down. Wide open is a different story....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Arrived in Porto, Portugal Reply with quote

Hi,

Just to let you know that I received today the lens. Will start using it tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are this and the other lenses progressing? I've been working stupid hours the last month and haven't been able to keep up on all of the lens' progression and images.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David, this is the current situation:

The Optomax is currently with Patrick in Austria. It has almost caught up with the Focal, which is currently with Luis in Portugal. He has had an unavoudable delay but he's posting it on to hoanpham tomorrow I hope. Jes is missing his turn while he's on holiday. I have brought the Travenar home with me from Australia. I need to take a portrait pic and then I'll be sending it on to Graham (ManualFocus-G) this week.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Finally my pictures Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay, but finally here are my pictures, all taken in Porto, Portugal:

A building

A close up

A landscape

A portrait type picture

A street shot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the lens but too busy today to try it, maybe later at home.

Cosmetically, it looks much better than some of my lenses
Laughing

Edit: This lens is NOT sharp at all. There is almost no focus peaking in my nex with it.

Last edited by hoanpham on Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My contribution. Using on Nex5n.
No resize, sharpness very good when it is in focus.

A building:

A landscape:

A close-up:

A portrait:

A street shoot:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens had been the most difficult for me to use, so far. It can be sharp, in spite of the focus plan is not flat, but we can always turn the weak spots to advantage. I may re-take the photo of a building as it is difficult to have even sharpness across the frame.

I use it at first with regular adapter, but difficult to focus sharp. When mounted on the Nex, focus peaking indicates that the focus plan is not flat, more like a 45 degrees/diagonal tilt, and cannot focus sharp longer than 6-10 meters, at least not as sharp as any crap lenses I have.

Next is to mount the lens with a tilt adapter and try to compensate for the focus plan. After a few minutes, I found the correct tilt and rotate angles, and the lens can function as a regular lens. It can be sharp, in fact very sharp when I viewed at 100% crop.

Another interesting thing I notice is that the lens behaves differently from regular lenses when I use as tilt lens. Since the focus plan had been screwed up, tilt does not flip the focus plan, but have an interesting focus plan angle: I can now use the focus grip to adjust the focus plan *side way using focus and not the tilt angle* - never had this experience before. adjust the focus to MFD the sharpness is about the center, and moving outward as I turn the focus to infinity.

Tilt adapter, 'accidentally tilt element', make it possible to shot a close-up that is sharp near and far, and some what closer than MFD which is 30cm. Based on this test, the focus is set to MFD when I shot the portrait photo - that to maximize the bokeh effect.

Other photos taken with this lens are submitted here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/focal-28mm-f2-8-from-cheapo-challenges-t52046.html

Next, if time allows, I will try to use with tube/bellow and reserve for macro, perhaps stacking another lens.

PM me with name and addr next person to receive this lens.

Last edited by hoanpham on Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:

Hi, the next person on the list is Jesito. I have PMd him to ask if he's ready for it now, and I'll let you know his details when I hear from him. Otherwise it goes across the Atlantic, but I don't want Jes to miss out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! Any chance of putting my name on the list? Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
Hello! Any chance of putting my name on the list? Smile

Hi miran, yes of course! Smile

Please send me a PM with this info:

your real name
street address
email address
international phone number

If you let me have this quickly I can ask Patrick to send you the Optomax. Otherwise you will have to wait a few weeks for the Focal.

Peter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted the lens today.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
Posted the lens today.

Thanks Hoan. Your town looks to be a very nice place, I like the photos very much.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
hoanpham wrote:

Hi, the next person on the list is Jesito. I have PMd him to ask if he's ready for it now, and I'll let you know his details when I hear from him. Otherwise it goes across the Atlantic, but I don't want Jes to miss out.

No, I wouldn't want it either Wink
Yes, I'm ready now, back to work Sad

I look forward to receive it.

Cheers,
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new here, but would love to see if it works on either my Minolta XE-7 or my Canon EOS 30D, as we have a photographers paradise here in NW Montana (USA)

Thanks
Jon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to two new members who've joined the list - Miran in Slovenia and Jon in Montana USA. Looking forward to seeing your pics!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens landed safely in Spain... Smile

Ready to take the challenge. The cam I'll be using will be the Samsung NX5.
I expect to finish my series until this weekend, so next monday it would be free to continue the trip Smile

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost done with the Focal.
At the end I decided to use the Lumix GF1 for a couple of reasons: No one else tried yet the highly cropped sensors, and to get the most of the lens, the cropped sensors would use only the central part of the lens.

I still miss the "portrait" and I'm not happy with the "macro" and the "street shot".
What I have so far:

#1 Building, ( f8 ), the office where I work:

#2 Closeup (f2.8 with a bellows), wedding ring:

#3 Landscape (f5.6, my daily commuting trip):

#4 Portrait (f2.Cool:

#5 Street shot (f8, but I don't like it too much):

Really little processing on them. (If anyone wants the RAWs for pixel peeping, just ask).

I plan to send the lens tomorrow to the next challenger.

My feeling: not a great lens, but useable Smile

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens is in its way to the US, to Jon E Smile

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay shot with this lens, works pretty good as I headed up to local lake. Smoke from fires in another state as well as our own, gave some pretty bad sky results... but sometimes you just have to shoot when you can.

Let me know who I need to ship this off to now.