Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The Great Cheapo Lens Challenge - 3 (Focal 2.8/28)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: The Great Cheapo Lens Challenge - 3 (Focal 2.8/28) Reply with quote

The idea is that a cheap lens is being sent all round the globe for members to make the best possible images they can with it. It's just for fun, it's not a competition, nobody is judging and there are no prizes.

Anybody who wants to join in is still welcome - just PM me your real name and postal address.

This thread is for pictures taken with the M42 mount Focal MC Auto f2.8 28mm lens donated by Michael (cooltouch). Let's make sure he gets it back at the end! Smile

Everyone has to submit their best picture in each of these categories:

1 A building
2 A close up
3 A landscape
4 A portrait type picture ( could be a person or a statue or some object that will be isolated by narrow depth of field )
5 A street shot (or country lane if you like)

Any kind of post-processing is allowed, including a touch of sharpening, but no crops please. Remember the idea is to see what the lens can achieve. Please resize all pics to max 1024 px wide.

Please aim to get all your pictures taken and the lens posted on within a week, weather permitting, so we don't keep people waiting too long. I'll be keeping in touch so I can track where the lens is at any time.

22 members have signed up so far:
This is the order the lens will follow.
The lens is currently with the name in red.

LucisPictor
pst
dragom
Jesito
hoanpham
iangreenhalgh1
peterqd
kukhuvud
mmelvis
David
cooltouch
visualopsins
mo
ManualFocus-G
DigiChromeEd
stingOM
Farside
GrahamNR17
NewStuff
Lloydy
William
Xpres

I have everybody's postal address and I'll be sending a PM to each person with the next address to send the lens on to. Apart from that, all information will be confidential.

Last edited by peterqd on Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Australia looks so lonely.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know ,it's only me here left to run the Government,clean the house...generally look after the place... Very Happy well at least I get on with myself. Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Australia looks so lonely.

Laughing

Mo looks much much lonelier when you zoom out to see the whole of Asia and Africa with no markers at all! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where has everybody gone???...you have me worried!.. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a PM from Simon asking if he could drop out of the list for two of the lenses and I thought it might be helpful for everyone if I explained.

There are now three lenses but still only one list. Everyone on the list will normally have a chance to try all three lenses as they get sent round. It doesn't cause any problems if you don't want to try one or two of them, in fact it reduces the waiting time for everyone else. Just be sure to let me know and I can simply skip your name when the time comes.

This picture shows where the lenses are now in relation to your place in the list. The list should really be in a circle, as Mo will be sending the lenses on to ManualFocus-G at the top.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Peter for your efforts! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checking the situation with this lens. Have you sent it yet Michael? Have you received it Carsten?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Just checking the situation with this lens. Have you sent it yet Michael? Have you received it Carsten?

Carsten has PM'd me saying he hasn't received it. Sad
No reply from Michael so far.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still haven't heard from Michael. My PM is still in my outbox and he hasn't replied to a letter David sent him by post over a week ago. I'm sorry for everyone waiting. I don't know what else to do now, it's very frustrating.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLEASE NOTE - THE CHALLENGE IS NOW CANCELLED

I'm grateful to the members who passed the lenses on to the next person quickly, but very sadly not everyone has co-operated and the delays are too long. I wanted all this to be snappy (pun not intended) so it could be completed before I go on extended vacation to Australia, but at this rate it will take over two years before everyone has tried all the lenses.

There are two members currently holding lenses and both have had them for over a month. One of them answered my PM a week ago but still hasn't sent the lens on as requested. The other has disappeared altogether - my PM of 23 Jan is still in my Outbox, he hasn't responded to a letter 2 weeks ago and a phone call was unsuccessful. I'm very disappointed they don't share my wish to avoid keeping people waiting. I didn't expect to have to keep chasing people and I'm not willing to continue.

If, like me, you are still waiting to try the lenses I'm very sorry to disappoint you.

Special thanks to David for the help and support he gave me trying to get in touch with Michael, and to anyone else who has helped. I will send PMs to each of the current lensholders giving instructions where to return them to their owners but I can't guarantee you'll ever see them again.

Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLEASE NOTE - THE CHALLENGE IS NOW ACTIVE AGAIN

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick note -- the Focal 28mm went out to Carstens yesterday. Should reach Deutschland in about a week or so.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Focal lens arrived today!

At the weekend I will shoot with it a little.

Where do I send it to next?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great - now I hope we can really get moving! Smile It looks in mint condition.

PM on the way to you Carsten.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM received. Thanks, Peter!

I will take this lens to my "photo weekend".

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here are 4 of my 5 entries. Shot on the NEX-3.

Post-production: basic level adjustment, resizing and compensating re-sharpening. Nothing else.

1. A building

2. A close-up

3. A landscape
[placeholder]

4. A portrait

5. A street-shot

OK, perhaps not the typical "street shot" but a photo of a street, even if it's a tiny one. Wink

And one more which does not really fit into any of those categories, but which I like:

After I have shot the landscape, I'll send the lens to the next destination.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked They seem really nice...I do like the tiny street shot.. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures, nice town! Judging the lens, it does not look bad at all. Sharpness is okayish, the bokeh is neither good nor bad, just somehow "boring". Curious to see how it performs on Full Frame!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say this is a better lens than either of the other two in the challenge.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pst wrote:
Curious to see how it performs on Full Frame!

I'll try that at the Easter weekend. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy of this lens is also incredibly sharp with great color and contrast rendition. This is probably the best $5 lens ever made.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, due to an illness over Easter I was not able to shoot more photos.
The lens is now on the way to Austria.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens is with me now. But the weather has been extremely sucky, so I have to wait till next weekend to shoot with it. Next week I will post pictures and send the lens on. Curious to see it's performance on FF.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I put the lens through my rigorous 3/4 hour test drive Wink. I am spending the weekend at my parents house, in the small village where I grew up. A very photogenic place in an alpine valley, with medieval walls, gates and a castle.
About the lens; I have mixed feelings, it's certainly not crap, but it's not good either. No post except resizing and sharpening, camera: 5DII

The first picture at F2.8:

At the right is the main entrance to the church in the previous picture. Shot at F11:

Our church from 1248 (paintings from 1777). Shot to F5.6 [slight motion blur]:

As in the last shot, I'm no fan of the bokeh. Shot at F4:

I also checked the lens for flare, which it handles real bad. I live at the end of the road. Shot at F2.8:

Finally a landscape of the entire town. Shot at F11 or F16: