Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron SP 70-210 f/3.5 19AH
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Leslie wrote:

Orio I realised I have a Tamron Minolta AF mount which is about the same thickness as the Tamron EOS mount (Used to have Sold at ?50) On the f2.5 28mm the rear of lens does not protrude.

Thank you.
Which is the right price to pay for this lens if it is in very good condition?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I talked from different lens, Tamron 80-210 not from SP 70-210.

Very sorry my mistake. I thought I was following a link to samples from the SP

Orio. Tamron f2.5 28mm ?10-20. Worth more.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem it was easy to confuse we are in SP 70-210mm topic. I absolutely agree with you lens only one thing , another more important part who is behind the lens.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Leslie wrote:

Orio. Tamron f2.5 28mm ?10-20. Worth more.

Well, I just bought one. Brand new, boxed. 40 Eur.
Click here to see on Ebay

Now the tricky part will be to find the ring. I can not buy from Roxsen. The import laws from the China and Hong Kong have changed. There is the risk that the customs blocks the package and sends it back.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will buy for you from Roxsen if you not find better solution.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila. I'll keep it as last resource.
I will wait a while and see if something shows up in the western world.

Well, being a new item, I can always try it and if it turns out I don't need it, I can always resell it as new and will lose no money.

P.S. what is the right search keyword for ebay? "Adaptall 2 ring eos" ?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I use an adaptall for Nikon AI will it be the same or will I lose the infinity focus / 5D compatibility ?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adaptall-2 NIKON AI makes it 100% Nikon compatible lens, it will works same than any Nikkor lens.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
P.S. what is the right search keyword for ebay? "Adaptall 2 ring eos" ?

I guess shorter is better "adaptall eos".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

I guess shorter is better "adaptall eos".

Tried that.
Returned one result, from a vendor of Hong Kong called "Hard Man". I am even afraid to ask what it could mean... Wink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Adaptall-2 NIKON AI makes it 100% Nikon compatible lens, it will works same than any Nikkor lens.

It's not as easy as it seems.
It is possible that the adaptation needed for Nikon is smaller than the one needed for M42, and that because of that, the back glass of the lens could not clear the 5D mirror.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, right I can't help you in this subject. Perhaps Martin has Tamron lens who is maintenance 5D lens compatibility list.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Orio
My wife has the EOS400 a friend of mine the 350.
No probs with any Tamron lens, neither with the EOS-adaptor (I found one of these pretty rare adaptors) nor with the M42-adaptor (+ additional M42-EOS-adaptor).
The EOS-adaptor is pretty rare and much more expensive - so my advice:
Go the M42-way!

@SP 3,5/70-210 and colour-cast
This appeard only on my DS and when shooting outside, not with any film-slr, not for any 'bookshelf'-trest-shootings inside.
I guess this lens really needs a skylight filter when used on dslr (at least those with the Sony-CCD - perhaps the Canon-CMOS, Nikon-CCD and Foveon are different).

@80-210
When this lens hits the market (about 1980) is has been one of the best lenses within this zoom range. I found an old article saying that this lens should have been even better than his Nikon-counterpart in those days.
I never had any of them - just for you guys to know that this lens (even though not being a SP-lens) is raelly a good one (perhaps not superb).

@5.6/300
Yes, this lens is opticlly really better than the 60-300: I have both of them and will kepp them both....
If anyone wants a 300mm for a small amount of money this is my recommendation!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
@Orio
My wife has the EOS400 a friend of mine the 350.
No probs with any Tamron lens, neither with the EOS-adaptor (I found one of these pretty rare adaptors) nor with the M42-adaptor (+ additional M42-EOS-adaptor).
The EOS-adaptor is pretty rare and much more expensive - so my advice:
Go the M42-way!

Thanks Paul. Unfortunately, the M42 adaptall seems as unavailable as the EOS here. There are some Nikon Adaptall, but I am afraid about the clearing of mirror in the 5D. Use with 5D of this lens is crucial for me, because I can not use the Nikkors 28mm and 24mm on it. Should it turn out that neither the Tamron is useable, I will ahve to sell it (the Tamron, not the 5D) Wink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Unfortunately, the M42 adaptall seems as unavailable as the EOS here. There are some Nikon Adaptall, but I am afraid about the clearing of mirror in the 5D. Use with 5D of this lens is crucial for me, because I can not use the Nikkors 28mm and 24mm on it. Should it turn out that neither the Tamron is useable, I will ahve to sell it (the Tamron, not the 5D) Wink

Orio, M42 Adaptall adapters are titled "Pentax", not M42. You might have more luck searching for Adaptall Pentax. There are two types, one with just the aperture pin for the Spotmatic SP and SPII, and the other for the Spotmatic F & ES, with the lever to communicate the aperture setting to the camera.

The second type, which is very easy to spot because it has a little cog wheel on the edge, could conflict with the mirror on the 5D. The first type, with just the thread and pin would be just like fitting any other M42 auto lens and, on my Tamron, nothing projects into camera beyond the thread. I'm pretty sure there would be no problem fitting this to a 5D.

Here is an example of the first type for sale in UK:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will try to buy this one if it does not raise too much.
Which is the right price to pay for one of these adaptors?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul. --Re the Adaptall 80-210 there were two models the 03A and the later 103A. There is no comparison between the two. The newer model is a good lens that often sells for next to nothing because people don’t know that there were two models. I have the 103A and have tested it but actually have never used it in anger because I have the SP 70-210 and the SP 35-210. I must add that the 103A 80-210 is a neat lens being overall about half the mass of the SP 70-210. I think I may give it an outing and try it for some candid street pics, though the Tamron f3.5 200 is about 1 inch shorter so would be my preferred choice.
Somebody has already written the Tamron SP f5.6 300mm is the 300 to judge others by. It is a great lens only bettered by Tamron's big SP f2.8 300mm and some top Canon or Nikon glass costing over ten times as much. I think I may rate the SP 60-300mm a bit more than you. I was gobsmacked at its 300mm performance and doubt any zoom lens could better it. Yes the SP 300mm is better but not a lot. What makes the real difference to me is the size and weight and the enjoyment of using a prime. Like you I would never sell either and would replace them if God forbid they were lost or stolen.
I'm getting together a few SP f5.6 300mm pictures and will post very soon.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

You should expect to pay between ?10 and ?20 (EUR 15-30) plus S&H. I am hoping to win one soon, I'll let you know the price.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Orio wrote:

You should expect to pay between ?10 and ?20 (EUR 15-30) plus S&H. I am hoping to win one soon, I'll let you know the price.

Tip often a cheaper way of getting a Pentax M42 tamron mount is to keep an eye on the Tamron lenses. many include the mount end up selling for less than the mount is worth.
Another way of going Adaptall to EOS is with a Contax mount.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I am hoping to win one soon, I'll let you know the price.

Orio, I won this one for only ?6.06 plus ?2 S&H, which is a lot less than they normally fetch. I now have 3 so I wont be bidding for any more.

Rob's suggestion is a good idea, I won a Tamron lens for 99p but that one came with a Praktica Bayonet adaptor.

BTW, for you to see the difference, this one is the second type for Spotmatic F & ES, which might conflict with the mirror on the 5D. Note the lever and the cog wheel. In effect, this adapter would be the same as using a Super-Multi-Coated Takumar M42 lens. I'm not sure if you've tested any of these on your 5D.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate the Contax mount and adapter, I keep using it only because it's the only way to use the Zeiss lenses, but if I could avoid it, I'd do it happily.

The SMC Takumar 1.4/50 screwmount version does not clear the 5D screen. I begin to be afraid that the same may happen with the 28mm, as things notoriously get worse the wider the focal lenght of the lens is.