Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in
Take care when cleaning lens from fungus
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, today I realized I've got many of lens attacked by fungus during Winter: Tair 133 (very obvious fungus), Trioplan 100, Triotar 135 and Tair 300 starting to be as well. I plainly underestimated the situation, having long-term humidity problems in my house, especially at one of the corners my lenses are currently stored.

Never facing such a stupid crappy organism, I wonder what to do next? My only "weapons" are one small silica gel package, lot of various lights in my room and two corners with significantly lower humidity (you can actually see that from walls).

Can I save (or at least stabilize) the situation simply by putting lens into an open vitrine with light source installed in? Of course without caps, I believe dust can be always easily removed, have some basic tools for it. Wouldn't that be better than dark, humid, relatively warm corner of my wardrobe (or what is it actually) and with caps?

If having some not yet infected lens (or at least not visible), like Telemegor 180, Helios 40 (living with me for not a long time, actually), or some apparently more fungus-resistant modern lenses, should I keep them as far as possible or is this just a blind myth?

Seems to be a rather seasonal problem. Like the lens might miss especially the sun or possibly light source of any kind. Didn't have that problem in Summer perhaps because majority of lens was just frequently in use.

Thanks for any help. Ain't going to underestimate that crap again.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a word of warning... If you leave the lens in an acid long enough, it can strip the metal coatings off the glass. May take a long time but soaking an element in vinegar long enough could do this. Note that I haven't tried to find out how much time is required, but I might to fix a lens with scratches in the coating that render it less than functional.