Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Super Takumar 35mm f3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Super Takumar 35mm f3.5 Reply with quote

Super Takumar 35mm f3,5 on Pentax *istDS:

not sure about the f stop chosen, but on the last one it certainly was f3.5, the second was also quite open, the first one about f8 ?

Hopefully the first pic shows it's potential, the not so good focus on main areas on the second pic may not show how sharp it is, and the last taken with ISO 1600 could use some noise reduction which I have not applied.

Anyway, I really like this little lens.

cheers,
Andreas

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are very nice examples of the qualities of this lens. I find its rendering is very neat and organized - that's a good thing! About the only issue I've run into is when I used mine with a polarizer, the image wide open became very dark, to the point where I had a bit of a difficulty focusing. In bright daylight.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Those are very nice examples of the qualities of this lens. I find its rendering is very neat and organized - that's a good thing! About the only issue I've run into is when I used mine with a polarizer, the image wide open became very dark, to the point where I had a bit of a difficulty focusing. In bright daylight.

thank you for your interesting comment

I have not used it with any polarizer yet.
So far, contrary to many reports about focusing manual lenses on dSLRs I have found focusing easy, but with any lens.
Let me mention here that I bought my first dSLR just abt. 10 days ago, a Pentax *istDS. I chose it over the e.g. K100D even though that meant not having the IS above all because of it's very bright viewfinder ( and some other reasons more )

cheers,
Andreas

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All very nice, but #2 excellent!
This Takumar seems a very good lens

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 3 are keeper for me, #1 is my favorite, very good lens

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the takumar on M42 or an PK-Mouth?

I like all Pentax-Lenses, fine mechanic and good resolution, good bukeh.
The Pictures are very good.

Is Pentax popular in Japan?
The connection with Samsung (Korea) could be unpopular in Japan, but I don´t know.

mit schönen Grüßen aus der Heimat
tschüss und viel Spaß

Peter

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on shot #2, that has loads of character.

Thats a fine little lens, I have been trying to get one for a while.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: error! Reply with quote

now..sorry...I might have got this wrong.
I just found out that I erroneously had thought the second photo was taken with the SuperTak 35mm..as it seems it was taken with the AF 18-200 Tamron... Embarassed ( as I get aperture values and focal lenght in the EXIF )

sorry, to make up I shall post many more samples soon, promise!
( and hopefully also of the S.M.C Tak 105 f2.8, Pentax A-28mm f2.8 and a few more )
now at least I know now that this basic AF zoom is quite good Laughing

cheers,
Andreas

Last edited by kuuan on Sat May 10, 2008 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

padiej wrote:
Is the takumar on M42 or an PK-Mouth?Peter

this one is M42

padiej wrote:
I like all Pentax-Lenses, fine mechanic and good resolution, good bukeh.

the ones I have I also like them all.

padiej wrote:
The Pictures are very good.

thank's Peter.

padiej wrote:
Is Pentax popular in Japan?
The connection with Samsung (Korea) could be unpopular in Japan, but I don´t know.

not sure, I believe it is the same as in Europe, Nikon and Canon leading the sells.

padiej wrote:
mit schönen Grüßen aus der Heimat
tschüss und viel Spaß

Peter

danke,
liebe Gruesse aus Osaka,
Andreas

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: 100% crops Reply with quote

SupTak 35mm f3.5 100% crops:

I made similar shots with the Pentax M-50mm f2.0, A-28mm 2.8, S.M.C. Takumar 105mm f2.8 and my only AF lens, a Tamron 18-200mm f3.5-6.3

If interest I shall post them here, in separate threads for each lens, or in a single post, as you suggest.

thank you,
Andreas

Last edited by kuuan on Wed May 14, 2008 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures Andreas. It is shots like these that we can all look at to enjoy, get ideas and evaluate lenses. Thanks for sharing and of course we would all be interested in seeing comparison pictures.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andreas, some great shots with this little lens. I spent 7 years in Japan,
and both 1 and 2 brought back memories.

Luis, probably don't have to tell you, but I found this lens plus the 50/1.4
and 135/3.5 Super Taks bundled with a Asahi Pentax Spotmatic SP, for
a whopping $78 (delivered) off ebay. Reminds me I need to take this
little lens for a test drive.

Thanks for sharing,

Bill

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It definitely is a great little lens. I also have got a copy.
Wow, you are in Japan! Fantastic. I would love to got there one day...

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pics taken with the "K" version Smc-Pentax (not the "M") this afternoon !

Great lens . My preferred 35 .

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lot of Pentax screw mount lenses and have a high opinion of the vast majority of them. The 35mm f3.5 is no exception. It is one of the most common and therefore cheapest Takumar lenses you will ever find and like many "low spec" lenses" (ie with a modest maximum aperture) produces very high quality images. As, I might add, is ably demonstrated by these images!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car-pics are wonderfull, the lenses of pentax too. Often I don´t knew, which lens should be used, pentax, zeiss or others.
regards Peter

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another sample:

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like #1 in the first post, very nice, I like the perspective.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Kuuan,

I noticed that you have the Auto Takumar and the Super Takumar 35mm 3,5.
Is there any difference in terms of IQ?
I have an opportunity. for an Auto. It is tempting because it is more compact and cute.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Memetph,

good question!
When I received the Super Takumar f3.5/35 I was quite stunned, that time it was my best lens wider than 50mm for sure and it really is a very good lens. However 35mm on APS-C for some reason has not been my focal length and therefore I have not used the Auto Takumar and Super Takumar 3.5/35 enough to really tell.

Therefore, before I tried to answer, I had to check the user reviews at Pentaxforum. There it is said that all, the Auto, Super, S-M-C, SMC and even Pentax K f3.5/35 have the exact same optical formula, that it stayed unchanged from 1959 to at least 1975 must vouch for it's quality. ( see their reviews of the Taks here: http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/S-M-C-Super-Auto-Takumar-35mm-F3.5.html resp. of the K lens: http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-K-35mm-F3.5-Lens.html )
One can read that pretty much everybody loves the lens. One person says that the Auto Tak looses contrast more when shot against strong light and that is doesn't have as strong corners as the later versions of which another person says they are very good even when used on a FF camera, somebody else says that he prefers the Auto Tak for it's smaller size...

The Auto Tak will have more simple coating than every later version. However I think that the later and arguably then industry leading Super Multi Coating didn't come from nowhere or in other words that the coatings of early Takumars are better than those of most lenses of similar vintage or even other lenses made 10 years later.
Auto Takumars have a lever to push the aperture open. On other Auto Takumars that lever has a long throw, but on the f3.5/35 it is more like a button that can be pushed, it has a much shorter throw. For this reason I find that lever on the Auto Tak 3.5/35 useful, I can preset the aperture and then quite easily keep the lever pushed, the lens wide open, while focusing and then simply release the button to set aperture before taking the shot.

Auto Takumars have different color rendering than later versions, very decisively so the Auto Takumar f2/55 as compared to all later 55mm Takumars, less obvious in the case of the 3.5/35 but anyway I really like the colors it renders very, very much.

It is tiny, I wished that the diameter of my M42 NEX adapter was smaller, had the same diameter as the lens. The aperture ring is a quite thin, not as easily tactile than that of the later versions.

When choosing which lenses to take with me on this years 'travel' I decided to bring the Auto Takumar f3.5/35mm, it has been a while since I had carried a 35mm and the Auto Tak 3.5/35 was my choice. Therefore I can and plan to take some photos with it during the coming days, then I may add more opinions.

samples at flickr: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=auto%20Takumar%203.5%2035mm
three earlier thread about this lens:
http://forum.mflenses.com/asahi-auto-takumar-f3-5-35mm-m42-t39309.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/auto-takumar-early-35mm-f35-1960-1962-t52183.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/asahi-auto-takumar-35-3-5-t16502.html
and my photos taken with it: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/sets/72157622773310185/

hope this helps, cheers, andreas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Servus,
the remark about the size of the adapter and the consequently poor accessibility of the aperture ring is a good one.
I shall wait for a Super or SMC offer.
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
Servus,
the remark about the size of the adapter and the consequently poor accessibility of the aperture ring is a good one.
I shall wait for a Super or SMC offer.
Thanks

good call, than, for best coating, I'd go for the S-M-C or even Pentak K!
on the other hand I want to put that 'problem' into perspective: For me Takumars and Pentax K lenses handle so amazingly well, most other lenses I have experience with can't compete. The focus ring of the Auto Tak is smoooth, it's aperture ring a bit small and that makes it's handling a bit fiddly as compared to those of later versions, the diameter of the adapter being a bit larger actually helps to easily find the aperture ring by feeling only, it just doesn't look as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my Spotmatic in 1970 and had 28/55/105. The A7 brought them back to life and I decided then to buy other Takumars.
They are a joy to use . The 49mm filter thread serie is compact and therefore fits very well the A7 though the adapter. The A7 is for me like a modern Spotmatic.
Those Takumars give very consistent results on full frame.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I love mine Smile

the modest aperture is well received when you realize how small they are.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

good call, than, for best coating, I'd go for the S-M-C or even Pentak K!.

For the best coating, it is the Pentax K. The S-M-C version did not have SMC coating on the front element (according to van Oosten's book). Since it's such a simple design (Tessar-based), I wouldn't pay much of a premium for the S-M-C version; either go for the Super-Takumar version (which I have and enjoy very much) or pay a premium for the K version (but it is quite a premium these days!).