Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Suggest some older Nikon lenses for f801s
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Suggest some older Nikon lenses for f801s Reply with quote

Hi all,

Im / was looking for a manual operated Nikon body for some time.
Prices went mad .. film is new 'rage'.

I have my old F801s. It's a great camera that I've been using previously for 10 years.
Have also 2 Tamron zooms from that time.
So Im thinking: re-use that body and add some lenses.

Now Im last 10 years out of the Nikon game (last one was D200).
Forgot a lot about Nikon lenses and their compatibility (to older film bodies) and their quality.

Now I would like to add other/more glass for that body - from wide to normal, eventually a short tele. .
Im not sure If I need/want any zoom - maybe if there are some 'very exceptional' one's
from that early AF era.

What would you suggest as a 'good' lens(es) ?
What I meant with 'good': as a first thing for me is the character.
Sharpness is any way a bourgeois concept so that's in the second place.
Maybe even third ..

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Nikon 28-85 f3.5-4.5 AF that has taken some great images. Picked it up cheap as well.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with the F801s -- I presume it is an autofocus camera -- but my recommendation is that you first find out what Nikon lenses the F801s will accept, which will aid you in your search. There's no point in my recommended old Pre-AI glass, for example, if it won't work with the F801s.

Even though Nikon has kept the F mount since 1959, there are many variations in the lenses, most having to do with the way the camera meters a scene. It can get confusing. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sold in US as N8008s

Lenses before AI can't be used. I don't know any AF Nikkors...

https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/htmls/models/htmls/Nikonf801sN8008s.htm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, ok found out that pre-ai's will not work if not modified.

this 801s (8008) was almost in the same league as f90(x) camera.

This means early '90 af and e series lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggest some older Nikon lenses for f801s Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
Hi all,

I have my old F801s. It's a great camera that I've been using previously for 10 years.
Have also 2 Tamron zooms from that time.
So Im thinking: re-use that body and add some lenses.
Now I would like to add other/more glass for that body - from wide to normal, eventually a short tele. .
Im not sure If I need/want any zoom - maybe if there are some 'very exceptional' one's
from that early AF era.

What would you suggest as a 'good' lens(es) ?
What I meant with 'good': as a first thing for me is the character.
Sharpness is any way a bourgeois concept so that's in the second place.
Maybe even third ...
Cheers

The premier Nikon character lens may well be the Ai/AiS 1.4/35mm Nikkor. Very soft wide open, but interesting rendition, and changing its character when stopping down. However, even at f5.6 or f8, it never is as sharp as a typicall 2.8/35mm from the early 1980s.

A lens i like very much is the Ai/AiS 1.2/55mm. It too changes its character, from soft/smooth at f1.2 and portrait distances, to very sharp at f5.6 and infinity. Really a great lens, especially for b/w.

The Ai 2/50mm is just a solid perfomer, with a very even rendering over the enire field: low contrast wide open, high contrast and very sharp at 5.6. A lens that

I neither know the AiS 1.4/85mm nor the 2/85mm, but both lenses are said to be optimied for portrait (unlike the Minolta MD 2/85mm, which is extremely sharp even at f2).

The classical Ai/AiS 2.5/105mm renders beautifully for portraits, but I prefer the AiS 1.8/105mm. For me, 105mm (or even 135mm) are working very well for portriture. The 1.8/105mm has a very slim depths-of-field, a beautiful bokeh and medium contrast. Works best with b/w, since there is some purple fringning wide open.

From the 135mm lenses I only have the AiS 2/135mm. Beautiful portrait lens as well, nice bokeh, and maybe slightly less detail resolution than the 1.8/105mm Nikkor.

The AiS 2.8/180 ED is, according to your definition, a bourgeois lens, and therefore I omit it. But I like it very much Wink.

The Ai/Ais 4/200mm is quite average - average in the sense of "as good as the 4/200mm of the other manufacturers, but not better". No outstanding rendering, no exceptional sharpness - simply a good MF 200mm lens!

I don't like most of the AiS Nikkor zooms. Two exceptions are the AiS 3.5/35-70mm II (again a bourgeois lens), and the AiS 4/80-200mm. Probably the 4/25-50mm and certainly the AiS (not to be confused with the muchj cheaper AF!!) 2.8/80-200mm are exceptional. But too sharp for you, I guess ...

Ah yeah, there's also the AiS 2/24mm, which has similar issues as the 1.4/35mm. Maybeinteresing for you; I prefer the much sharper 2.8/24mm or the even better Minolta MD-III 2.8/24mm.

The AiS 2.8/20mm is as good as many of the best 20mm of its days (e. g. Minolta and Canon), but not a "character lens".

S

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark thank you. Where else is such experience shared? No where except forum.mflenses.com! You did mention you are book(s) writing, yes? Can you leak some details? Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon 25-50 f4 Ais and 50-135 f3.5 Ais cover a lot of territory. Both are large but produce nice renditions.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
stevemark thank you. Where else is such experience shared? No where except forum.mflenses.com! You did mention you are book(s) writing, yes? Can you leak some details? Smile

I actually have a half finished book about Minolta MF lenses here on my laptop. Same design and same general layout as the existing book on Minolta / Sony AF gear (published 2010, the 2500 books printed were sold out within a few months). You can download a slightly better version on my home page (http://www.artaphot.ch/minolta-sony-af/alpha-systembuch).

Currently I'm busy renewing my house, and finishing a few publications not related to photography, but hopefully 2021 there's the time to finish that "Minolta SR system book" - either in German or in English Wink

S

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi stevemark,

about 'sharpness and concept..':
- quite bold and sarcastic statement but it serves the purpose.

I think u understood it and thats why we got your great writing and knowledge, thanx !

I wish more character lens talk (and less .. well you know what)

Cheers