Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Suggest some older Nikon lenses for f801s
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Suggest some older Nikon lenses for f801s Reply with quote

Hi all,

Im / was looking for a manual operated Nikon body for some time.
Prices went mad .. film is new 'rage'.

I have my old F801s. It's a great camera that I've been using previously for 10 years.
Have also 2 Tamron zooms from that time.
So Im thinking: re-use that body and add some lenses.

Now Im last 10 years out of the Nikon game (last one was D200).
Forgot a lot about Nikon lenses and their compatibility (to older film bodies) and their quality.

Now I would like to add other/more glass for that body - from wide to normal, eventually a short tele. .
Im not sure If I need/want any zoom - maybe if there are some 'very exceptional' one's
from that early AF era.

What would you suggest as a 'good' lens(es) ?
What I meant with 'good': as a first thing for me is the character.
Sharpness is any way a bourgeois concept so that's in the second place.
Maybe even third ..

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Nikon 28-85 f3.5-4.5 AF that has taken some great images. Picked it up cheap as well.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with the F801s -- I presume it is an autofocus camera -- but my recommendation is that you first find out what Nikon lenses the F801s will accept, which will aid you in your search. There's no point in my recommended old Pre-AI glass, for example, if it won't work with the F801s.

Even though Nikon has kept the F mount since 1959, there are many variations in the lenses, most having to do with the way the camera meters a scene. It can get confusing. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sold in US as N8008s

Lenses before AI can't be used. I don't know any AF Nikkors...

https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/htmls/models/htmls/Nikonf801sN8008s.htm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, ok found out that pre-ai's will not work if not modified.

this 801s (8008) was almost in the same league as f90(x) camera.

This means early '90 af and e series lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggest some older Nikon lenses for f801s Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
Hi all,

I have my old F801s. It's a great camera that I've been using previously for 10 years.
Now I would like to add other/more glass for that body - from wide to normal, eventually a short tele. .
Im not sure If I need/want any zoom - maybe if there are some 'very exceptional' one's
from that early AF era.

Maybe even third ...
Cheers

The premier Nikon character lens may well be the Ai/AiS 1.4/35mm Nikkor. Very soft wide open, but interesting rendition, and changing its character when stopping down. However, even at f5.6 or f8, it never is as sharp as a typicall 2.8/35mm from the early 1980s.

A lens i like very much is the Ai/AiS 1.2/55mm. It too changes its character, however not as much as the 1.4/35mm: From soft/smooth at f1.2 and portrait distances, to very sharp at f5.6 and infinity. Really a great lens, especially for b/w.

The Ai 2/50mm is just a solid perfomer, with a very even rendering over the enire field: low contrast wide open, high contrast and very sharp at 5.6. A lens that never disappoints Wink

I neither know the AiS 1.4/85mm nor the 2/85mm, but both lenses are said to be optimized for portrait (unlike the Minolta MD 2/85mm, which is extremely sharp & high contrast even at f2).

The classical Ai/AiS 2.5/105mm renders beautifully for portraits, but I prefer the AiS 1.8/105mm. For me, 105mm (or even 135mm) are working very well for portraiture. The 1.8/105mm has a very slim depths-of-field, a beautiful bokeh, lots of detail, and medium contrast. It works best in b/w mode, since there is some purple fringning wide open.

From the 135mm lenses I only have the AiS 2/135mm. Beautiful portrait lens as well, nice bokeh, and maybe slightly less detail resolution than the 1.8/105mm Nikkor.

The AiS 2.8/180 ED is, according to your definition, a bourgeois lens, and therefore I omit it. But I like it very much Wink.

The Ai/AiS 4/200mm is quite average - average in the sense of "as good as the 4/200mm of the other manufacturers, but not better". No outstanding rendering, no exceptional sharpness - simply a good MF 200mm lens!

I don't like most of the AiS Nikkor zooms. Two exceptions are the AiS 3.5/35-70mm II (again a bourgeois lens), and the AiS 4/80-200mm. Probably the 4/25-50mm and certainly the AiS (not to be confused with the muchj cheaper AF!!) 2.8/80-200mm are exceptional. But too sharp for you, I guess ...

Ah yeah, there's also the AiS 2/24mm, which has similar issues as the 1.4/35mm. Maybeinteresing for you; I prefer the much sharper 2.8/24mm or the even better Minolta MD-III 2.8/24mm.

The AiS 2.8/20mm is as good as many of the best 20mm of its days (e. g. Minolta and Canon), but not a "character lens".

S

Last edited by stevemark on Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark thank you. Where else is such experience shared? No where except forum.mflenses.com! You did mention you are book(s) writing, yes? Can you leak some details? Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon 25-50 f4 Ais and 50-135 f3.5 Ais cover a lot of territory. Both are large but produce nice renditions.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
stevemark thank you. Where else is such experience shared? No where except forum.mflenses.com! You did mention you are book(s) writing, yes? Can you leak some details? Smile

I actually have a half finished book about Minolta MF lenses here on my laptop. Same design and same general layout as the existing book on Minolta / Sony AF gear (published 2010, the 2500 books printed were sold out within a few months). You can download a slightly better version on my home page (http://www.artaphot.ch/minolta-sony-af/alpha-systembuch).

Currently I'm busy renewing my house, and finishing a few publications not related to photography, but hopefully 2021 there's the time to finish that "Minolta SR system book" - either in German or in English Wink

S

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi stevemark,

about 'sharpness and concept..':
- quite bold and sarcastic statement but it serves the purpose.

I think u understood it and thats why we got your great writing and knowledge, thanx !

I wish more character lens talk (and less .. well you know what)

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A must have lens is the AF Micro Nikkor 2.8/60mm
It is my favorite lens, extrem sharp and universal in use

Second is the AF Nikkor 1.8/85

Wideangles are not so interesting for me but the 2/35 is a good choice.

An excellent tele photo lens is the AIs Micro Nikkor 4/200mm. An incredible sharp lens and very cheap too. Uses M52 filters!

All this lenses are always available and the prices are in a normal range

I have an AF Zoom Nikkor 24-50mm it is a good lens but like all zoom lenses it has distorsions and I don´t like it.

When you want it more exotic try the DKL mount lenses, adapters are available for low prices and the Nikon helps to focus it with the focus indicator. It works perfect.
Try a Voigtlander Color Skopar 2.8/50mm, you can buy it for under $10
Here´s a sample I made with this lens and Ilford FP4+

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a bit late reply, forgot about this post

@arri, this suggestion about besamatic lens is a great idea - thanx!
I have already one in 50/2.8.
However this could be a marriage for smaller Pk mechanical bodies + an adapter. And for Fuji too.

This Nikon is a large and heavy body and needs some glass counterpart on the other side.

In the mean time got me a flat 50/1.8 series e that waits for a spin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look up A/I conversions.
They are not that hard to do if you have a bit of mechanical inclination.
John White's conversion service may still be in business if tinkering is not your thing.
One of my favorites is the converted to A/I 50mm f2 "H" nikkor.
Beautiful color rendering from the converted 135mm f3.5 "Q" nikkor, and the 105mmf2.5 "P" nikkor (post-sonnar they can be had cheaply)

Another personal favorite is the Nikon 100mm f2.8 Series "E".
Best of the economy line, and well-worth trying.

The often over-looked "slow" 28mm f3.5 nikkor A/I-s is one of the sharpest lenses in my kit.
I don't use it that much in my style of photography.

Late A/I-s series zooms sometimes have trouble with reaching infinity~ something to keep an eye out for, before spending...

The A/I-s 200mm f4 is a fine and compact lens with excellent ergonomics.
Watch for hesitant apertures with this one.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm a big-time bourgeoisie. The Nikkor AIs 180mm f/2.8 ED rules!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NIKKOR-P Auto 1:2.5 f=105mm (the Sonnar model with chrome front and aperture rings)
https://www.destoutz.ch/lens_105mm_f2.5_215011.html

The lens that makes me want to sell all the others!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I guess I'm a big-time bourgeoisie. The Nikkor AIs 180mm f/2.8 ED rules!

I still have not found a m/f ED nikkor with-in my financial means.
There was a 180 2.8 ED with scratched front element and frozen helicoid for $250 at a local camera shop.
I passed on it.

Bourgeois? Wink Wink

I don't think so. If you can get them, more power to you.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
NIKKOR-P Auto 1:2.5 f=105mm (the Sonnar model with chrome front and aperture rings)

There was an awfully beat and dented Sonnar in the case when I bought my later "P" 105 2.5.

I couldn't see paying +400.00 for something in that poor condition.
I have no regrets over the post-Sonnar "P".
It's a lens I happen to like a lot.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

There was an awfully beat and dented Sonnar in the case when I bought my later "P" 105 2.5.

I couldn't see paying +400.00 for something in that poor condition.
I have no regrets over the post-Sonnar "P".
It's a lens I happen to like a lot.

-D.S.

My practically new copy bought June 2021 cost $91.89 -- the Sonnar is quite a different lens than the later versions with different optics.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERE I HAVE UPDATED MY PREVIOUS POSTING WITH SOME NEW INFORMATION:

The AiS 2.8/20mm is as good as many of the best 20mm of its days (e. g. Minolta and Canon), but not a "character lens".

The same is true for the Ai 3.5/20mm, which is even smaller than the AiS 2.8/20mm. Along with the equally small & lightweight MD 28/20mm probably one of the best 20mm lenses from the 1970s. Which means "not a character lens" Wink

Ah yeah, there's also the AiS 2/24mm, which has similar issues as the 1.4/35mm. May be interesting for you; I prefer the much sharper 2.8/24mm or the even better Minolta MD-III 2.8/24mm. The fast 2/24mm, even in its newest AiS version, has a very low performance wide open, with badly smeared corners and low overall contrast.

Neither the Ai/AiS 2.8/24mm nor the Ai 3.5/28mm nor the Ai 2.8/28mm are "character lenses". All three are solid performers though, comparable to their Canon FD/nFD and Minolta MC-X/MD-I equivalents.

The premier Nikon character lens may well be the Ai/AiS 1.4/35mm Nikkor. Very soft wide open, but interesting rendition, and changing its character when stopping down. However, even at f5.6 or f8, it never is as sharp as a typical 2.8/35mm from the early 1980s.

A lens i like very much is the Ai/AiS 1.2/55mm. It too changes its character, however not as much as the 1.4/35mm: From soft/smooth at f1.2 and portrait distances, to very sharp at f5.6 and infinity. Really a great lens, especially for b/w.

The Ai 2/50mm is just a solid performer, with a very even rendering over the entire field: low contrast wide open, high contrast and very sharp at 5.6. A lens that never disappoints Wink

The slower Micro Nikkor lenses 3.5/55mm and 2.8/55mm are very good all-purpose lenses (also at infinity!), and certainly not "character lenses". Sadly, the Nikkor 2.8/55mm Micro usually has issues - either its focusing is very stiff, or the aperture doesn't work properly.

I neither know the AiS 1.4/85mm nor the 2/85mm, but both lenses are said to be optimized for portrait (unlike the Minolta MD 2/85mm, which is extremely sharp & high contrast even at f2).

The Nikkor 1.8/85mm (I own its "K" version) is a capable portrait lens as well. Wide open in the corners not as sharp as the Minolta MC/MD 1.7/85mm, but stopped down to f4 / f5.6 it becomes excellent. A character lens? Maybe, since at f1.8 the depth-of-field is rather narrow, and contrast isn't that high as well.

The classical Ai/AiS 2.5/105mm renders beautifully for portraits, but I prefer the AiS 1.8/105mm. For me, 105mm (or even 135mm) are working very well for portraiture. The 1.8/105mm has a very slim depths-of-field, a beautiful bokeh, lots of detail, and medium contrast. It works best in b/w mode, since there is some purple fringing wide open.

The earlier Sonnar-type Nikkor-P Auto 2.5/10.5 cm has less border / corner resolution than the later Xenotar-type 2.5/105mm Nikkors (be it Nikkor-P, Nikkor P-C, Nikkor Ai or AiS), but its Bokeh nearly identical to that of the Xenotar-type 2.5/105mm.

The Ai 4/105mm Micro again isn't a character lens at all - extremely sharp and completely free from CAs when stopped down to f8, and still surprisingly good at f4 (infinity). At infinity, the Nikkor lens is better than the Minolta MC 3.5/100mm Macro, but especially at f4 not as "high-res" as the Minolta MD 4/100mm Macro.

From the many Nikkor 135mm lenses I only have the AiS 2/135mm and both a pre-Ai as well as an Ai 2.8/135mm. The AiS 2/135mm is a beautiful portrait lens as well, it has a nice bokeh, and maybe slightly less detail resolution than the 1.8/105mm Nikkor. Overall performance and bokeh is nearly identical as with the nFD 2/135mm (the rare Minolta MD 2/135mm has s slightly sharper corners at f2).

The Ai 2.8/135mm is a capable portrait lens as well, but not really a character lens! It has a very good corner resolution wide open, however the Zeiss CY 2.8/135mm is slightly better. I would also say that the Nikkor Ai 2.8/135mm performs better than the famous Minolta MC/MD Rokkor 2.8/135mm [4/4], and much better than the Leica R 2.8/135mm (2nd computation). The pre-Ai Nikkor-Q Auto 2.8/135mm is much larger and heavier than the later Ai, but performs surprisingly well, too. Apart from a lower contrast, it's performance is basically the same as with the later Ai.

The AiS 2.8/180 ED is, according to your definition, a bourgeois lens, and therefore I omit it. But I like it very much Wink.

The Ai/AiS 4/200mm is quite average - average in the sense of "as good as the 4/200mm of the other manufacturers, but not better". No outstanding rendering, pretty good sharpness, tot too much CAs - simply a good MF 200mm lens!

If you want a more versatile and 4/200mm, you should go for the AiS 4/200mm Micro which has internal focusing an goes down to 1:2. At infinity, it is not as sharp as the Ai 4/200mm, and it has slightly more CAs than its "non-Micro" cousin.

There are basically three Ai/AiS 4.5/300mm Nikkors, the "non-ED", the "ED (non-IF)" and the "IF-ED". While the "non-ED" and the "IF-ED" were made in large quantities, the (much better) "ED (non-IF)" is really rare. I wouldn't call any of them a "character lens". Both the Ai/AiS 4.5/300mm as well as the AiS 4.5/300mm IF-ED" have considerable longitudinal and lateral CAs, but the "IF-ED" has better corner resolution and less lateral CAs af f4.5 (at f8 they both are very similar). The rare AiS 4.5/300mm ED (non-IF) is an excellent lens with even less CAs than the AiS 28/180mm ED, and thus a very bourgeois lens Wink

I don't like most of the AiS Nikkor zooms. Two exceptions are the AiS 3.5/35-70mm II (again a bourgeois lens), and the AiS 4/80-200mm. Probably the 4/25-50mm and certainly the AiS (not to be confused with the muchj cheaper AF!!) 2.8/80-200mm are exceptional. But too sharp for you, I guess ...

S

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write-up, Stephan.

I'll add some personal experience points here, just for the heck of it.

80-200 nikkor:

I have found the old zoom creeper, rear element plate window 80-200 f4.5 new sharper than the the A/I-s 80-200 f4.
The older variant is slightly more prone to flaring at the 80mm mark.
Possible sample variation here though- my f4 variant gets a little wonky near the infinity mark at 80mm.
Both variants have distance sweet spots as well with the older f 4.5 liking 8 to about 75 feet.
The newer one likes 8 to about 85 feet.
I need to seriously test both on full frame, now that I have it.

The 200mm f4 A/I-s is one of the better modern period nikkors.
It can be finicky at times to focus, especially with the factory Nikon DSLR focusing screen.
I think this lens would really benefit from a film type ground glass focus screen.
Superb results when I do manage to get near proper focus.

I'll try and get some recent shots up with it.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is about a 60% crop.
Adjusted for contrast and exposure slightly, and sharpened by a tiny amount.
Not bad for the strong sunset back-lighting.
Nikkor 200mm f4 at f5.6 and ISO 400 Nikon D-810.
Nikon's contrast focusing assist system gets pretty weak in lighting conditions like this.
At times like this, I use the focus dot as a starting point, and then adjust to what looks like in-focus.

Hefty crop of image center.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Suggest some older Nikon lenses for f801s Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
Hi all,

Im / was looking for a manual operated Nikon body for some time.
Prices went mad .. film is new 'rage'.

Now Im last 10 years out of the Nikon game (last one was D200).
Forgot a lot about Nikon lenses and their compatibility (to older film bodies) and their quality.

from that early AF era.

Maybe even third ..

Cheers

Ken Rockwell's Nikon Compatability List is rather useful for this kind of query.
The 801 is near the bottom.
https://kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm