Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Strictly Yashica Mat Thread -New Image Jan 31
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Strictly Yashica Mat Thread -New Image Jan 31 Reply with quote

I'll call this my "proprietary" Yashica Mat thread, so that I can just add images as I scan them. I thank you all for giving me the encouragement to continue my scanning of the Yashica tansparencies and negatives.

This particular image was taken during a stormy twilight evening in the Cascade mountain range.

I had just set up my mountaineering tent, and was getting ready for the next blast of thunderstorms to howl through my position in the ridgecrest. It was a WILD night that I enjoyed very much. I as comfortable with a fine sleeping bag, a flashlight, and a good book, and even though the tent was "rattling" in the high winds, I knew that it was built to withstand this kind of weather.

I was down to my last shot left in my Yashica Mat. Even though I was going to head back out to the trailhead the next morning, I thought I would save a final shot "just in case". Cool

Well, in the darkness I saw some kind of "light" through the tent walls, so I looked out and saw the opening in the storm. It impressed me enough to break out the Yashica and prop it up on my backpack and aim it out the tent door.

This resulted in what I like to think is a nice shot. The whole square frame was black, except for that bright slash through the center of the viewfinder.
I gave a Sunny 16 wild guess at the exposure and fired off the last shot I had. Shocked

Basically, I looked at the very brightest part of the formation, figured that would easily be f:16 and the reciprocal of the film (1/100th for the ASA100 film). I knew the meter in my brain would be "fooled" by that, so I opened up a stop and crossed my fingers.

Back at home, I cropped out the upper and lower parts of the transparency, and just left parts of those dark areas to delineate the horizontal shape of the clearing. I think that the crop lends credence to the sort of panographic element of the image.

To me anyway, this sort of image epitomizes the wildness of the weather that evening. Even with that weather, there was a symbol of the storm breaking up, and that conveyed a symbol of hope and enlightenment that being in this isolated position conveyed to me.

Clearing in the Storm over the Stuart Range

Yashica Mat 124
f:11, 1/100th
Fuji Provia

Last edited by Laurence on Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:08 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence

You can assume even if I am silent that I love your pictures. I am so glad that someone with your eye spends so much time outside in that beautiful neighborhood

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence,

Yashica -if it still existed- should really pay you good money for the advertising you make of this camera. You only publish amazing pictures from it!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW this shot killed me, beautiful, congrats Laurence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence, you're a great photographer...
I enjoy a lot each of your new shots, thanks for sharing them!.
In this last one, I like a lot the nice composition and the vivid colours.
Keep up the good work!.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Strictly Yashica Mat Thread Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
I gave a Sunny 16 wild guess at the exposure and fired off the last shot I had. Shocked

That's the clever part. Not a wild guess when you have such great experience, knowledge and skill, and a good feel for your camera. Excellent Laurence - I would for certain have needed to bracket the exposure to get anywhere near this.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Laurence
You can assume even if I am silent that I love your pictures. I am so glad that someone with your eye spends so much time outside in that beautiful neighborhood
patrickh

Thank you Patrick. And, I must assume that you will get your self and your camera up here some weekend, maybe this Spring, and we can head for the rain forest and crank out some shots? Cool

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Laurence,
Yashica -if it still existed- should really pay you good money for the advertising you make of this camera. You only publish amazing pictures from it!

Well gosh, THANKS Orio! The nice thing is that the pictures sort of take care of themselves. The scenery is wonderful, so it becomes much easier.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
WOW this shot killed me, beautiful, congrats Laurence

You SOUND like you are still alive, though poilu! Laughing Thank you for nice words.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Laurence, you're a great photographer...
I enjoy a lot each of your new shots, thanks for sharing them!.
In this last one, I like a lot the nice composition and the vivid colours.
Keep up the good work!.

Jes.

Always great to hear from you Jes. Thanks very much for the kind words!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Strictly Yashica Mat Thread Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Laurence wrote:

That's the clever part. Not a wild guess when you have such great experience, knowledge and skill, and a good feel for your camera. Excellent Laurence - I would for certain have needed to bracket the exposure to get anywhere near this.

Haha! Don't you know that I WISH I could have bracketed? I figured about a 50/50 chance of something turning out okay on this one, so I did get lucky! Keep up your OWN photography, your images are wonderful.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Small Waterfall and Ferns Reply with quote

This little creek and waterfall has been a favorite spot since I was very young. It hasn't changed too much, some of the gravels in the lower part of the creek have changed from flooding over the years, but this part of the creek stays pretty much the same.

I thought that the fiddlehead fern tops sihouetted agains the white water was worthy of a shot.

Fiddleheads and White Water - Washington Rain Forest Valley

Yashica Mat 124
f:22, 1 second
Kodachrome 64

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAGNIFICENT!

The curvy composition with the foreground scenic element reminds me of Jugendstil / Liberty Style / Art Nouveau.
The fern frond in the foreground seems to have been placed there by a wise painter.
The nature is magnificent but what really makes this photo stand out is your composition. Congratulations!

-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unbelievable!

We have a similar nice place in Europe, Plitvice lakes in Croatia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila

What a great shot - from the person who doesn't "do" landscapes. Smile Smile Looks like a divine spot

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
I invite you to take any of my images and use your judgement on how to make it possibly better. Please feel free to re-post your results, so that we may learn from each other.

No need mate - your ability shines through.

These are top quality images worthy of National Geographic. Cool

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't marked this shoot is not by me. I just gathered from Internet to inform EU members this place a photographer paradise.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Sorry I didn't marked this shoot is not by me. I just gathered from Internet to inform EU members this place a photographer paradise.

Even if not from your lens, this is a remarkable place! I love to see these kinds of surprises from areas that I don't know about. Beautiful! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a unique experience for this shot. I was at the beach on a foggy evening, into the night hours waiting for the moon to rise. As I was moving around, I saw the reflections of some tidepools on the bedrock ledges near the surf line. The graphical nature of the shapes intrigued me, so I set up a timed shot.

I felt that the shot was a success, as it came out in a "graphical" form that I had envisioned. It makes for a very simplified shot -- but sometimes "simple" is good! All detail is obscured by the darkness, except for the reflected light from the triple-tiered tidepools.

Night Tidepool Dreams

Yashica Mat 124
f:11, 15 seconds (B setting with cable release)
Fuji Provia 100

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a Japanese print!

Beautifully envisioned and executed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Looks like a Japanese print!

Beautifully envisioned and executed.

We are thinking on the same wavelength! When I was stumbling my way around in the sort of foggy darkness, these little pools caught me thinking immediately of those Japanese gardens. I am happy that you have interpreted it that way as well. Cool

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm truly in awe of that shot!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tidepool dreams, absolutely brilliant. Shadow detail! PAh! like a good painting lets your imagination fill the gaps, you can see the reflections as tears or rips seing into another world Dali/escher like. This would make a great print. My Med format resolve is crumbling quickly!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
Tidepool dreams, absolutely brilliant. Shadow detail! PAh! like a good painting lets your imagination fill the gaps, you can see the reflections as tears or rips seing into another world Dali/escher like. This would make a great print. My Med format resolve is crumbling quickly!

Thanks as always, hacksaw and Richard! I always take great joy in hearing from everyone. It keeps me going!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As hacksaw indicated above, I DID feel like in a dream of sorts. The fog was swirling, and at times I felt like I was coccooned into my own body with no sense of direction other than the distant hiss of the surf. This was a mesmerizing evening on the beach, and I was hoping the moon would be visible when it rose.

Well, as serendipity sometimes takes a good turn, the fog lifted a little, and the moon was all of a sudden reflecting off the rocks! I turned around 180 degrees and walked toward the continent about 100 feet to where I knew this sandpool was located.

My intent was to "catch" the moon, and that was successful. Smile But, I felt that there was a real bonus here; the little dendritic striations in the sand, the fact that the moon was "glowing" through the clouds and thus some of the light was cut off.

I think that this one gave me the same "dreamy" feel as the triple-tidepools image.

It took a little "figuring" to come up with a shutter speed, especially because the reciprocity effect was going to be a factor with the brightness of the moon. I got lucky, and hit it pretty close.

Cropped and slightly sharpened.

Moonbeam Dream
Yashica Mat 124
Yashinon 80/3.5
f:11, 8 seconds
Fuji Provia

Last edited by Laurence on Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total