Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Strictly Yashica Mat Thread -New Image Jan 31
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Amazing!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Shocked Shocked Amazing!!

Thank you, Attila. It was a very quiet, serene night.

I ended up staying on the beach; went back to the car and picked up my sleeping bag. I slept on some nice gravels above the high tide line that actually gave me a very comfortable "mattress". I slept very well, and stayed until the next evening.

I have some images from that next evening too. It was a clear evening and the light was very beautiful at twilight.

I feel like maybe I'm overdoing it on images, Attila. Do you think I should hold back a little, or just go ahead and post those on this thread as well? Confused

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:

I feel like maybe I'm overdoing it on images, Attila. Do you think I should hold back a little, or just go ahead and post those on this thread as well? Confused

This is a photography group, why should you hold back? Those who are not interest, or don't have time, can skip the thread, or see it later.

-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, sounds like good advice, Orio, thanks!

This is the next evening, and I had hiked back to the north a few miles, towards Cape Johnson, where I found another nice little bed of gravels for an overnight stay.

This evening exhibited a different sort of feel, in that there was a bit of fog, but it was mostly clear in the sunset hours. Then later, it cleared off into the global twilight that last until 11pm or later in the summer months.

I had taken several shots of this nice, muted sunset, but felt there were a lot of details that took away from what I was trying to do -- which was to simplify.

I moved to my left several yards and finally found the simplicity that I wanted. Just a bit of the larger island seastack for a sense of "place", and then just let the simple bands of color become the balance point agains the mass. So, I liked this result, with the light values about halfway between pasteline and strong.

I wanted the ocean to not be a huge element, in order to focus on the bands of light themselves, so I underexposed to darken the water. I also opened up the lens to give a short depth of field, and this was effective in softening the water itself, making it a series of mimicking lines to complement with the lines of color above.

Simple Sunset

Yashica Mat 124
f:4, 1/30th
Fuji Velvia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the way you rendered the sea, smooth and thick, deep, mysterious.
The motion blur of the water is perfect for that: not too much, not too little.

Again, another beautiful piece that I wish I could see in bigger size, because this small resize is a real punishment.

One thing: are you sure that perfect square is the ideal framing for this picture? I don't know why, but I "feel" it could be better if slightly vertical or slightly horizontal.

-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Later in the evening (probably about 10pm or so), the sky was very clear, and the global twilight became apparent, allowing for a lot of gradation in the evening sky.

I used Sunny 16 based on the lighter part of the sky. Since there was a large difference of light values between the seastacks and the horizon glow, I figured I could open up a stop and still retain pure silhouettes. Also, by opening up a stop over "what I though was normal", I hoped to keep the wet sand reflections visible, which was critical. It seemed to work. Shocked

Here's how I figured this, according to my notes:

ASA 50
f:16, 1/60th (for open sunshine)
f:11, 1/60th (for open shade)
f:8, 1/60th (for full shade - equal to the lightest part of sky TO MY EYES at the time)
Final: f:5.6, 1/60 (opened a stop to make sure that I wasn't being fooled by the brightest part of the image)

It's good to take notes, because then I can learn from my errors or successes. Plus it's pretty easy to carry the notepad and a pencil (talk about ANALOG!).

Yashica Mat 124
f:5.6, 1/60th
Fuji Velvia

Night Stacks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, beautiful. What could I say more? I know I sound monotonous.
Those reflections on the sand are to die for.
Again, I wish I could see this printed on a wall in a 1m x 1m size.
-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Again, beautiful. What could I say more? I know I sound monotonous.
Those reflections on the sand are to die for.
Again, I wish I could see this printed on a wall in a 1m x 1m size.
-

Orio! All I need is to know if you like an image or not; and if not, how I can improve it. I DON'T need long responses of many paragraphs, as long as I see that the image seems good enough to people. After all, I'm REALLY only trying to make sure that an individual image is truly worth keeping.

So...when someone simply says "beautiful", that is wonderful to hear.

Regarding 1m x 1m size, I have the image below at 36 x 36 inches, and with the "mat and frame" similar to what I have put on it in Photoshop, it totals about 52 x 52 inches.

So...the image itself is just about right on, at 1m x 1m. The nice thing about the medium format negative, is that you can make respectable enlargements up to that size depending on how "clean" the original image is.

Here's the one that is 36 x 36 inches in the image part:

My friend and I had climbed the ridge you see in the middle, coming up out of the right-hand glacier on a diagonal aspect. This turned out to be a wonderful climb on good solid rock, which is unusual for the Olympic Mountains. The image is from the next morning, when the fog was "in and out", making the light very nice and adding dimensionality to the image.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote: One thing: are you sure that perfect square is the ideal framing for this picture? I don't know why, but I "feel" it could be better if slightly vertical or slightly horizontal.

Thanks for bringing up your thoughts here, Orio! THAT'S what I "look for"...any suggestions to possibly improve, or to at least "give it a try".

I cut the size down here for expediency, but here are two alterations based on your feel for "vertical" or "horizontal" croppings. What do you think about these possibilities, Orio?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I was wrong.
It's better square.

-