Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

stiff aperture on hellios 44-2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: stiff aperture on hellios 44-2 Reply with quote

got it this morning, and the apeture ring is quite stiff is there anything I can do to make it easier to turn?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I turned the aperture from 2 to 16 and back to 2 a few times quickly and it,s still stiff but much easier than it was. I guess the lens hadn,t been used for a while.
my other helios 44-k 4 aperture turns very easily but clicks between aperture numbers so I guess the 44-2 with stiffer aperture will be easier to use.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Thomas, old USSR lenses are often a bit stiff. The grease they use for damping is very thick, it's the same stuff they used for tank gun turrets I think.

Sometimes you can soften the grease by working in a tiny amount of liquid lighter fuel, but most times it makes the grease feel like sand. To do a proper job you'll have to dismantle the lens, clean off the old grease and apply some new. It's not difficult if you have the right tools - here's an article on how to do it:

http://www.euphonium.plus.com/Drawings/Helios%2520Repair%2520Manual%2520English.pdf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that link i,ll keep it for future use, i think the lens will be workable the way it is, i,ll take it out tomorrow and try a few shots to see how it goes at different apertures, if it,s not good i,ll try that link as it looks quite easy. thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually if you keep working the aperture it will clear it up, and keeping the lens warm will help but you might have to clean and re grease it as Peter says- its not so difficult to do Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas, could you download and save the pdf file ASAP please? It's on the free space on my website. I get bandwidth problems if there are too many hits, so I'll be deleting it in a couple of days. Cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Hi Thomas, old USSR lenses are often a bit stiff. The grease they use for damping is very thick, it's the same stuff they used for tank gun turrets I think.

Sometimes you can soften the grease by working in a tiny amount of liquid lighter fuel, but most times it makes the grease feel like sand. To do a proper job you'll have to dismantle the lens, clean off the old grease and apply some new. It's not difficult if you have the right tools - here's an article on how to do it:

http://www.euphonium.plus.com/Drawings/Helios%2520Repair%2520Manual%2520English.pdf

Peter, thanks for sharing. Mike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks peter, i downloaded it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Thomas, could you download and save the pdf file ASAP please? It's on the free space on my website. I get bandwidth problems if there are too many hits, so I'll be deleting it in a couple of days. Cheers.

Thanks for that, Peter.
You could upload it to www.mediafire.com or www.freefilehosting.com - unlimited downloads for free.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the lighter fluid method and like peter says.....sand!

I've also tried WD40 and that seemed to do the trick. However, this worked for me and I do not promote this as the way of cleaning threads.