Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SP Tamron 500 mirror model number 55B on Pentax K200D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: SP Tamron 500 mirror model number 55B on Pentax K200D Reply with quote

Oh I am liking this lens Very Happy Here are a few hand held shots, evening sun.I can't wait to use this on a tripod (Wishing I had a mono pod just for ease of use)
#1 Moon shot.

#2 standard cat shot...wish the grass was mowed.

#3 I am just impressed with how far this lens can focus.

I have seen the donuts and will be working on some artistic shots as I like the effect.
Cool

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These mirror lenses are difficult to use without a tripod. F8 is not a joy to perform with, you need lots of light.

I notice you used ISO200 to shot at 1/400s.

You should raise a little the ISO to get higher speed when shooting from the bare hands, (you know, 500mm x 1.5 crop factor of your Pentax = 750mm, so you would need to shot at 1/750 at least ).

From the tests we've done so far locally the Tamron 500mm SP is one of the best 500mm mirrors around.

Regards,

Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm your impression. With the SP 8/500 in my set, I do not feel like buying another supertele.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Jesito is right.
But this lens is surely good.

Jesito wrote:

Jes, could you remember me what little free softawre allow to read the exifs directly on picture with a right mouse clic ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens has one of the best IQ from affordable priced 500mm ones , perhaps best ! Congrats!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens.

Olivier wrote:
Jes, could you remember me what little free softawre allow to read the exifs directly on picture with a right mouse clic ?

Olivier, I use Google Chrome and the ExifViewer extension. There are many similar ones for Firefox (which is slower though).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
Nice lens.

Olivier wrote:

Olivier, I use Google Chrome and the ExifViewer extension. There are many similar ones for Firefox (which is slower though).

ExifViewer, that's it !
Thanks Ludoo. Smile

[Edit] : well, I've just installed Opanda IExif for IE and it works really fine. I have IE9 Beta and I have windows 7 professional 64bits.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito,Thank you so much for your great instructions.This lens is fantastic and I am so excited I managed to get one for so cheap or rather to be able to get one at all, and in such great condition.It is so light it is a joy to use.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Well, Jesito is right.
But this lens is surely good.

Jesito wrote:

If you use Mozilla Firefox (as I do) there is a nice extension called "Exif Viewer" that allows to look into the exif data just by right-clicking on the image.

Regards.

Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Jesito,Thank you so much for your great instructions.This lens is fantastic and I am so excited I managed to get one for so cheap or rather to be able to get one at all, and in such great condition.It is so light it is a joy to use.

You're welcome. I like very much the mirror lenses, even with that strange bokeh.

(Ops, I see you alredy got the anwer for the Exif Viewer... Too slow Wink ).

Regards.

Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conglats. Tammy mirror lenses are superb. Mine is full of fungus, but it does not stop it from being a good lens.

Hope you don't mind me posting these images.

Thanks folks for the tips on that exif reader plugin for Firefox. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind you posting ,it makes it easier for people searching Google to find all the info about The Tamron 55B and its photo examples in one spot=MFlenses... Laughing
Those flowers are stunning.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just some more from today of some Harley Davidson that pulled up...due to the bikes being so close I only have bits and pieces of them Very Happy Plus an older bike.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much, Picture look well

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:

Olivier, I use Google Chrome

Careful Ludo, Chrome is spyware-ridden. Use Iron instead.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Mo, despite what Jesito says, I have to say you must have one very steady hand because your hand-held low shutter-speed shots look quite good when viewed at Web resolution.

Dang these photos make me want to go out and buy a good mirror tele again. I've got a nice 500mm, but it's as long as my arm. There's a lot to be said for having a folded light path.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Michael
The 2nd set of photos..... I applied what Jesito said and bumped the ISO to 400 and also rested the camera and lens on my camera bag.The first set are the hand held.
I have to say the short length mirror lens that the Tamron is, and being so light makes it a perfect lens in my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I don't mind you posting ,it makes it easier for people searching Google to find all the info about The Tamron 55B and its photo examples in one spot=MFlenses... Laughing
Those flowers are stunning.

Thx . This is my lens. You can see the fugus infection:

I bath it in the sun many times and I think I have killed the infections.

Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sting, how difficult would it be to dismantle your lens, and attempt to remove the fungus, I wonder? It looks like it's on the inside of the front element. I'm thinking maybe a spanner is all that's needed to remove it?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moira, that is quite a lightsabre you're wielding, like the cat pic, grass and
all!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Hey Sting, how difficult would it be to dismantle your lens, and attempt to remove the fungus, I wonder? It looks like it's on the inside of the front element. I'm thinking maybe a spanner is all that's needed to remove it?

Hi, I was told it is not difficult. But I did not bother because I might damage it. In my case, sun light has done the job well.

http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=15571

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always rated Tamron highly and this mirror is very usable indeed.

You seem to be very comfortable with it. I do not understand those who knock mirror lenses and I am well aware of their limitations. They make a wonderful walk around lens.

I wish you many hours of fun with it!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they are so much more convenient than refractor telephotos. There are times when I just don't feel like dragging around my 500/5.6 refractor, but I would if it were a mirror.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm impressed by the pics in the thread with this mirror lense. I recently found one in a thrift store for $20. I had a Nikon mount. I like how heavy it feels in the hands.

What kind of mount am I looking for to fit my 5D? Just a Adaptall mount to EOS?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tamron brand adaptall mounts for EOS are rare and expensive. But you don't need one. You have two ways you can go. Since your Tamron lens already has the Nikon mount, you can buy a Nikon F to EOS adapter or you can buy an aftermarket Tamron to EOS adapter. They both cost about the same -- about $15 on eBay for those without the programmable chips.

As to which way to go, well, ask yourself this: do you ever anticipate buying another Nikon lens? If yes, then it would probably make better sense to get a Nikon-EOS adapter. Reason why over the Tamron adapter is because you already have a Nikon adapter for your Tamron lens and if you ever get another Tamron, you can always use your Nikon adaptall adapter coupled to the Nikon-EOS adapter.