Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma mini wide II 24mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Sigma lenses Reply with quote

I can confirm the Sigma 24mm is called a super-wide and its an excellent lens.

The 28mm mini-wide lenses are no slouches either and imo consider them as sharper @f2.8 than any of the manual focus f2.8 Pentax or the f2.5 AD2 Tamron offering. I've tested them all, so unlike some who come on here with their opinions, I'm not guessing.

The Vivitar 28mm (komine) f2.8 is about as soft as the Pentax & Tamron wide open but has equally nice contrast and rendition. There is a Vivitar (cosina made) 24mm which is also reasonable and can be found for less than the Sigma 24mm which reputation often puts its eBay value away over the US$100 mark.

I tried a Hanimex 28mm but found it to be awful, maybe the old copy I tried needed internal adjustment.

There is also the Tokina 28mm f2.8. I really liked this fully manual lens (beautiful build quality) but let it go because the Sigma 28mm had the edge sharpness- wise and also has the 'A' setting - very handy on a Pentax body.

I still await delivery of a Vivitar - Kiron made 28mm f2 coming from the UK. I have great expectations for this one, thats assuming the aperture blades open and shut properly, I understand a common problem with this particular lens. As with all the other lenses I'll test it out Surprised)

Last edited by Ironfan on Sat May 31, 2008 12:55 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiron 28mm f2 a good lens indeed, I look forward your test report.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo!
Look to kuuans stream about 28mm Takumar - we tested the 28mm very well.
Pentax-Lenses, the have a homogen Quality to bring a maximum on an CMOS Sensor.
I have bad results with hanimex, beroflex, berolin, sometimes autorevuenon,
my pentacon 29mm is left unsharp and not so good like the pentax -

My soligor and my revuenon also are good, I have good copy´s.

regards Peter

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at some independent lens tests
http://old.photodo.com/nav/prodindex.html
The Tamron f2.5 rates a very respectable 3.2 which is equal to the f2.8 28mm Nikkor AF but just below the older F series MF lens. The Canon EF f1.8 28 also rates 3.2 as does the Takumar SMC-F f2.8 28mm. 3.2 is a pretty good performance figure. I see little between my SMC-A 28mmm and the f2,5 Tamron. I just use the Takumar because it is an A lens and feels nicer. I also personally like my older f2.8 Tamron which gives me a little less contrast and (To me) better rendering, though not quite so pin sharp.
Although these test can only give you an idea of the lens performance they are good for comparing lenses.
I agree with 'Ironfan' about people with 'Opinions' rather than experience. I would also advice taking advice from those who take photos rather than collect equipment. There is a big difference to actually using a lens for taking photos rather than just doing a few test shots in perfect conditions.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Leslie wrote:
If you look at some independent lens tests
http://old.photodo.com/nav/prodindex.html
The Tamron f2.5 rates a very respectable 3.2 which is equal to the f2.8 28mm Nikkor AF but just below the older F series MF lens. The Canon EF f1.8 28 also rates 3.2 as does the Takumar SMC-F f2.8 28mm. 3.2 is a pretty good performance figure. I see little between my SMC-A 28mmm and the f2,5 Tamron. I just use the Takumar because it is an A lens and feels nicer. I also personally like my older f2.8 Tamron which gives me a little less contrast and (To me) better rendering, though not quite so pin sharp.
Although these test can only give you an idea of the lens performance they are good for comparing lenses.
I agree with 'Ironfan' about people with 'Opinions' rather than experience. I would also advice taking advice from those who take photos rather than collect equipment. There is a big difference to actually using a lens for taking photos rather than just doing a few test shots in perfect conditions.

If you look at these independent tests: http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/8917/lensrat1.html

You'll find both the Sigma 28 & 24mm f2.8 do rather well against most of the competition. Don't write these off! The tests interestingly bear out your own personal evaluation between the Tamron 28mm & Pentax-F 28mm. They gain the same score of 3.3 and I understand that the F version shares the same optical formula as the earlier M & A lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I like the yosemite site it has a few more older lenses listed.
The problem with Sigma is inconsistent lens quality. It is common to get a great lens but equally one stands a good chance of getting a very poor one.
At the moment I am waiting for yet another 10-20mm I bought one and took it back because the focus was decentred. The second one I had was the same. I tried a third in the shop and that had the same problem. We gave Sigma the benefit of the doubt and put it down to them all being from the same batch. Now Sigma UK have a new batch arriving so I am waiting for one of them. I know good examples of the lens exist because I know people who have them.
Another example is the Sigma f3.5/5.6 24-70mm AF I have.
I bought it for next to nothing but it is a very good performer. Friends have the same lens and there’s are rubbish!
I have had 4 (FOUR) copies of the Sigma APO f5.6 400mm (Zen model) the first one Minolta AF was great. Since changing to Pentax I have had three others trying to find a good one.
When using Minolta/Sony I had a great APO 75-300 zoom. When I went Pentax I tried all the Sigma 70-300 models my dealer could find a total of 4 of them from the newest APO macro to the older non APO 70-300mm all where rubbish compared to my old Sigma and the Tamron 70-300 LD Di AF I eventually bought.
These are all recent (Past 3 years) experiences. I can go right back to the 80’s with more. I could go on and on relating my own and friends many bad and a few good Sigma experiences.
My conclusion. – Sigma Yes, but always try the lens before you buy. It is very risky buying one on eBay or even a new one mail order. (A friend has returned his new F4 100-300mm and is still waiting 2 months later for its return from Sigma)
They do and have made some good lenses but you have to find the ones that were made on a good day and even then don’t pay too much for it. AF and zooms break very easily, even the paint flakes off the new EX ones, but new models do have a three year guarantee.

( My friends f4 100-300mm? Very poor performance and paint flaking off the body the moment it was taken out of the box, he bought it for his once in a lifetime African holiday and didn’t even bother to take it with him. Another friend has the cheap Sigma f6.3 100-300mm UC and that is a fantastic performer ! See my picture on the post 300mm battle)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried my $15 Sigma Mini-Wide II at dusk and I still think it's a worthwhile
lens. If I ever see the Super Wide in Nikon mount, I'll try to get one.

Here's a few from tonight:

EDIT: Here's one more at f4 as I'm about to change lenses:

This wide angle displays the best bokeh of the ones I own.

The fact that it can focus at 5 inches or a little less, makes it a versatile
lens.

Bill

Last edited by Katastrofo on Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:55 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots Bill.

I've also found sigmas that were excellent and one that I had was crap.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your cat has character !

You should put this one in the backlit thread in the Gallery.

I think the Sigma issues have to do with complex mechanics of recent equipment, particularly AF and zooms, as said. The little mini-wides and suchlike have much less scope for quality control problems.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ron, and yes, I had a Sigma AF zoom, was a plasticky POS, for
sure.

Luis, this pic is not up to standard with what I see in that thread, but
thanks.

Bill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Minolta MD to EOS has a glass adapter and I don't want to deal with the lens modification for now I won't buy the Minolta MD verison of Vivitar 28/2, you can searc it on ebay if you're intersted.

M42 mound Vivitar 28/2 has a 149$ buy now price tag and above 100€ means dealing with the customs and th eprice will increase too much so this one is also became out of my scope, if there are any interested in this one again searching will get it Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superb shots Bill, sure the sigma is versatile and at such price it is surely a bargain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
superb shots Bill, sure the sigma is versatile and at such price it is surely a bargain

Poilu, too kind, thanks! You do have to be careful about flare with this lens,
but otherwise has suitable performance.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shoots Bill!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and this vivitar, its good??

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avarage

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/vivitar/vivitar_24/

I not expect better or worst quality.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots Bill, the dusk glow on the cat works very well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila and Chris! Sorry I'm late with a reply, was hoping to do some
outdoor shooting today, but we've had thunder and torrential rainstorms.
This one between deluge late afternoon today using the Mini-Wide:

Not as mindboggling as Orio's wet leaf shots, but not totally bad, either.

At either wide open at f2.8, or f4, Aperture Priority mode.

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this beauty
Vivitar 28mm f2 lens Minolta MD mount by Kiron
Sale price: $28.00

Click here to see on Ebay

I'll let you know the results after the modification process." target="_blank">Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, you already know how I feel about your wonderful work with the spectacular Vivitar Mini-wide 28. Very Happy I've seen enough STRONG images from that jewel to be convinced that the quality is luscious, sharp, and one of the best in its category.

revinhood, DON'T be discouraged about blanket statements that would indicate that the Sigma mini-wide is only an average lens to be grouped with a bunch of other (supposedly) average lenses.

Go instead with the results you see from real-world use by photographers such as Bill! Then you can pursue the lens KNOWING that there is more than likely another one out there!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Bill.
This is the first Sigma lens that I see performing so convincingly in all my life.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Larry and Orio! I highly recommend this lens and/or the Super Wide, hope to find one soon.

Added another pic to my previous post.

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

revinhood wrote:
and this vivitar, its good??

I had one similar . What series does it have ? Mine was beginning with 9 so it was made by Cosina being in fact a 28mm rebranded Cosinon.
It was ok and didn't noticed that would be worst than my other, 28mm Chinon . Finally I sold the Vivitar because I don't needed two 28mm lens and because was made of plastic (except the aperture ring and the mount/bayonet). It had KA Pentax mount.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Excellent Bill.
This is the first Sigma lens that I see performing so convincingly in all my life.

And if you think the 28mm mini-wide is good, you'd be amazed by the Sigma 24mm f2.8 super-wide (the lenswhich the original poster asked about) as its even better! Below is a crop of an image shot @ f2.8 today. Incidentally, I have received the Vivitar - kiron 24mm f2 only to find it has the dreaded oil on its blades. Anyhow, I've tested it wide-open against the Sigma @f2.8. I expected the Sigma with aperture advantage would have the edge, it not only won but blew the Kiron out of the water in both sharpness and in controlling flare. Looking at the white shed roof above the house on the right there is also a hint of purple fringing.

Vivitar- Kiron K mount 24mm @f2 no post processing apart from cropping and shrinking.

Sigma KA mount 24mm @f2.8 - no post processing apart from cropping and shrinking

If anyone has any tips on the procedure for dis-assembling the Vivitar to clean up the aperture blades I'de be most grateful to hear them.
Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope my Kiron (28/2, Minolta MD) performs better but as I'm mainly shooting black and white jazz concerts, I need just nonflu images in the low-light venues.