Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma mini wide II 24mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Sigma mini wide II 24mm Reply with quote

find little information on this lens
is really good.?
best of these:
chinon 28mm
sigma mini wide 28mm
pentax M 28mm
vivitar 28mm
thanks for your help.
I have little knowledge of manual lenses

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of them really good , they are usable.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can spend about 70 € for the wide lens.
which could be?

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know they are more less similar.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and one that is not in the list above

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have Pentax camera ? In this case you choice is limited to M42 and Pentax K.

Tamron 24mm, 28mm f2.5 can be a good choice in 24, 28mm range.

But not better significantly than above lenses.

Below 100 GBP hard to find excellent wide angle lenses in M42 or Pentax K mount.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will see that I find on eBay.
I'm looking for a 200mm and 28mm
thank you very much.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On your list, a Pentax or Takumar would be the most reliably good.

Vivitars will depend on the manufacturer / actual model, but do usually offer close focus wich can be useful. Soligor at certain points may have the same lens as Vivitar.

I'm waiting in for the delivery of a *Hanimex* 28, which will let me compare a Pentax A 2.8, a Viv TX 2.5, and the *hanimex*.

Between the Pentax and VivTX, the Pentax is the better lens as far as resolution and so on goes, but the Viv is fun to use and gives a certain '70's look I like.

Based on repuation, the OTHER Viv 2.5 (has a trumpet flare to the barrel for the front element) and some of the 2.8's are good also.

* now that I think about it, I seem to remember the 28 that's coming 'with' the camera is a Hanimex not Chinon. Oh well, I'll see what it is when I open the box. *

Last edited by Nesster on Fri May 30, 2008 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Sigma mini wide II 24mm Reply with quote

revinhood wrote:
is really good.?
best of these:
chinon 28mm
sigma mini wide 28mm
pentax M 28mm
vivitar 28mm
thanks for your help.
I have little knowledge of manual lenses

See this too : http://www.pbase.com/steephill/28mms
About the Chinon 28mm (K Pentax mount) i've got one: http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/mfl_club_members/cosmin/chinon_28mm_f2_8/

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also heard good things about the mir 20 and mir 24n

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't like much MIR 20, MIR 24 is a fine lens.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what about a Vivitar (Kiron) 28/2. Does it worth the 150$ price tag, in shooting small venues my Canon 50mm f:1.8 is a bit too tele so I need something wider so it sounded appropriate, any experience with this Kiron?

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 24mm f2 Kiron made Vivitar
In this price range absolutely perfect.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/vivitar/vivitar_24mm_f2_kiron/

But so far from a good one, like Olympus OM 24mm f2 or Nikkor 24mm f2.8

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this vivitar is m42 mount??

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Available in Pentax K and in M42 mount too.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't considering buying any additional lenses this month but I will give this one a try as you suggsted this one Attila Very Happy The image quality also look vey nice, I really need fast glasses cause at ISO1600, I'm using values like 1/4 to get a clear performance shot and even at these calues sometimes the shot still blury. I need also something like a 85mm f:1.4 but not this month Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Share with us your experience, when you get it!

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

revinhood wrote:
I can spend about 70 € for the wide lens.
which could be?

Your list is 28mm lenses and your post states 24mm?

I have never had a big problem with 28mm lenses.
One of the best for very little money is the Tamron Adaptall 2 f2.4 28mm but the earlier and often cheaper Adaptall 1 f2.8 28mm is also a nice lens Pentax 28mm lenses have always had a good reputation. My fav is my SMC Pentax-A f2.8 28mm. I have never tried the SMC-M. i
I have tried the older M42 Takumar f2.8 and the f3.5 28mm lenses and the f3.5 is the better but there isn't a lot wrong with the f2.8
I don't rate the Vivitar or the older Sigma lenses.
If you are looking for 24mm then the quest becomes harder.
I have tried a lot and have not been too keen on any of them. I could be spoiled by the decent performance of the Pentax 18-55mm kit lens which is pretty good compared to many third party prime lenses. the only one that I have tried that betters it is the Tamron 24mm but IMO not enough to spend the money on it!
I also have an old Sigma 24-70 UC Zoom (AF) which is pretty good at 24mm, better in fact than the two 24mm Sigma primes I have tried.
I'm an old photographer so I remember that it was the late 1970's before decent quality 24mm lenses where produced and of course they were expensive. This means there are not so many good S/H for sale. Short supply = Expensive price. Go even wider say to a 16mm Sigma and the price is silly and it is a rubbish lens.
I doubt all this has helped you. Perhaps half the fum of buying MF lenses is finding the good ones? Best advice is try before you buy.
I am at the moment waiting for my THIRD copy of the Sigma 10-20mm. It has so far taken me two months to try and buy a New Lens!

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Share with us your experience, when you get it!

There is also a cheaper and cleaner Minolta MD version of this lens, is using M42 version of this lens instead of Minolta MD version would make a difference? I'm considering the Minolta MD version, any thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have Minolta MD adapter already ? That is not so common ..

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No but I can buy one cause it is still cheaper when combined together (and Minolta version is in a mint condition) and also there are some cheap minolta-rokkor glasses and also other third party glassess with lower price tags. I guess M42 is a bit a mainstream at the moment so the prices are a bit high when compared to other mounts (I can't deny the lens variety of M42 Smile )

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Minolta MD is damn cheap , but without adapter unusable.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AF confirmation assist Minolta MD to EOS adapter is 45$, not cheap but it can be considered as an investment for further purchases Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45 USD is a cheap price, take it without hesitation.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Sigma mini wide II 24mm Reply with quote

revinhood wrote:
is really good.?

A Sigma 24mm mini wide does not exist. (28mm does)
The Sigma 24 mm Superwide II is supposed to be a Leitz design and rather high rated.

See:
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/8917/lensrat1.html