Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SHOW US YOUR CAMERAS!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

Back in the 80s, I schlepped around a pair of F-1s with Motor Drive F's, plus a bag full of lenses and usually a monopod when I went to auto races. I didn't think much of it, figuring that was just what it took if you wanted to motorize your F-1.

Yep, I've seen images of 1970s professionals with lots of gear hanging from their shoulder Wink In the mid-1980s I was happy to have my small 9000 (without motor drive; it's the only AF SLR with manual film winding) and a few rather small lenses from 20mm to 200mm. That was just enough for going to the mountains - usualy one-day-trips with the mountainbike. Later, when the Nikon F4 came to the market, I was even more happy to have my lightweight Minolta 9000 ...

cooltouch wrote:

By the way, I found a comfortable way to shoot verticals with that motor drive. I rotate the camera/motordrive 90 degrees clockwise so that the camera/motordrive is resting on the bridge of my palm. Then I rest my upper arm against my torso to stabilize everything. Finally, I use my thumb to press the shutter release. It's quite comfortable to shoot verticals this way.

Did you ever use the Dynax / Maxxum 9 and Sony A900 grip? It's way better for verticals than any of the Nikon and Canon solutions, and it's really a mystery to me why CaNikon still isn't able to produce a grip as comfortable as the Minolta/Sony (D)SLR grips. Since I shoot mainly verticals (books, portraits, calendars and the like) this is a big issue for me ...

Especially the A900 vertical grip is perfect - completely reproducing the feelling of the "normal" grip.

Stephan

Last edited by stevemark on Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

Especially the A900 vertical grip is perfect - completely reproducing the feelling of the "normal" grip.

Stephan

Laugh 1

(I don't know why but this is both funny and nice picture.)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:

Now I know, they look like they fell asleep.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:

Like 1
Laugh 1 Laugh 1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
kansalliskala wrote:

Laugh 1 Laugh 1

I miss Suomi Wink

EDIT probably need to go to mountains duing the next days ... plenty of fresh snow !!

Which camera to take with me, and moe importantly: which lenses ??

Wink

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazer0ne wrote:

A fast wide angle coma free lens to capture Geminid meteor showers?

I would'n stay over night in the mountains - as I don't like the large hotel resorts and their "overpowered" atmosphere. While I've never been living in such a touristic area, some friends of mine have grown up in places like Verbier. Rich (maybe even very rich) people from all over the world arrive there for a few days, and during these days they do everything they don't do at home. It's up to your imagination what's actually happening, but I've heard some quite nasty stories, told by reliable persons (hotel owners) ... especially in wintertime.

While I don't mind at all hiking on my own in summer/fall - I know the Swiss mountains fairly well -, I'm not into (alpine) skiing. Avelanges, snow an cold are a serious risk for people like me, and therefore these days I prefer simply to take a train and spend a few hours at 2000 m / 6000 ft before going back home Wink

However, some years ago, I've been living high up in a hidden valley, no road, no trains, just 1 - 2 meters of snow and incredible peace.

S

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another one, recently bought from its original owner:

The Cosina CT-1 is a fully mechanical body from the early 1980s (sold also as Nikon FE-10, FM-10 and Canon T60). It seems to be quite nice; all shutter speeds work, and the lenses are clean and with working apertures. This nice little set consists of a fast Cosinon 2/28mm, a slower (and much smaller) 2.8/35mm, the ubiquituous 1.7/50mm, and a rather good 2.8/135mm lens. The mechanical quality of the lens barrels is so-so - basically a metal construction with lots of plastics on the surface. As mentioned earlier their focusing has run dry, but that happens to contemporary Nikkors as well !

I haven't tried the 1.7/50mm and the 2/28mm lenses, but as soon as i know more, I'll write a few remarks on their performance.

S

Last edited by stevemark on Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the most sophisticated analog SLR ever built - the Minolta Dynax 7 (also known as Maxxum 7). Here's a nice set I just got yesterday, including the Minolta AF 3.5-4.5/24-105mm zoom, the Minolta AF 2/28mm fast wideangle and a 3600 HS D flash.

The Dynax 7 has a few features one would expect from a digital SLR, but not from a film camera - such as a kind of EXIF data recording, a LCD monitor on the back (which makes her look like an early DSLR), and lots of buttons.

EDIT:

Here's the rear side Wink

Doesn't she look like a real early DSLR? In fact around 1995-2000 Minolta did produce some of the technologically most advanced DSLRs. Sadly, the then head of Minolta (the son of its founder) was stubbornly convinced that digital photography would never succeed. It was his decision that the extremely expensive early Minolta DSLR (RD-175 [1995], and RD-3000 [1999]) would be put into the cheapest plastic SLR bodies available - and not into the beautiful full metal (stainless steel!) body of the Dynax 9!

So in the year 2000 the Dynax 7 was born. Would it have been a digital SLR (as the engineers wanted it to be) I'm pretty sure Minolta would still sell cameras today. When finally in 2004 the digital Dynax 7D came out, it was too late, even though the Dynax 7D is extremely well made given the fact that it is not a professional DSLR.

S

Last edited by stevemark on Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:59 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Cosina CSM SLR 'Gift' Reply with quote

My Camera Club and Fellow Flickr member who buys gear at Car Boot Sales gave me a 1978 COSINA CSM M42 mount camera to test then said i could KEEP IT ! I thought the 55mm f2.1 aperture 'auto-Cosinon' lens was not quite as sharp as the 50mm f1.9 Cosinon on my Cosina CT-1. The CSM has 'Stop-Down' metering and as you press shutter release lens stops down and meter activates and you have to turn aperture ring until a GREEN light appears in top of viewfinder !

I did a VIDEO Review about it which you can see here :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTnGcDluDs4

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Cosinas are usually overlooked - as much as the Mamiya Z series are. At the age of twelve I've been using my fathers Mamiya ZE to take my first images. Later on, when I was sixteen, I bought my own Mamyia, this time a ZM:

Like the Cosina CT-1 or the CSM, it is very much a "no frills" SLR, however in a different way. The Mamiya ZM is - unlike the Cosinas - constructed around an electronic shutter. While the ZM can be used as a manual camera (with shutter speeds ranging from 1/1000 s to 8 s), I usually relied on its automatic exposure (AE) mode. After pre-selecting the aperture, the camera would select the proper shutter speed. The separate AEL mode (auto exposure lock) allows you to measure the important part of your subject, lock the corresponding shutter speed by half-pressing the shutter, re-frame the image, and then actually take the image by fully pressing the shutter. Another method to correct AE values relies on over-/underexposure: the large "+/-" dial on the top left side of the camera allows you to dial-in +/- corrections of up to 2 EV. This was pretty useful for quite a few situations, especially for backlight sceneries and snow landscapes.

This image shows how straightforward and clean the ZM was designed. Especially the rubber structure on the focus ring of the Sekor E-S lenses was twenty years "too early"! In addition, the Sekor E and EF lenses were small, lightweight and pretty good - at least if you were lucky to have gotten a good sample. Those Mamiya Z series SLRs certainly were budget cameras, and quality control may not always have been a top priority. Nevertheless I've enjoyed my ZM and the corresponding lenses tremendously - mainly while shooting girls and rock concerts, back then Wink

S

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Dog

I like the industrial design of that Mamiya.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Your MAMIYA ZM Reply with quote

Thanks for a good review -- maybe I will get one to 'test' sometime !

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another Konica - the legendary "T", equipped with an early Hexanon AR 1.4/57mm.

The coatings of the 1.4/57mm lens are really looking great if you you watch them at the right angle.

The Konica AR 1.8/85mm shown on the right of the Konica T is a very nice portrait lens. It has a rather low contrats wide open - which can be useful for portraits - but gets really excellent at f5.6. This early version has some slightly yellowish glass; later versions with rubber ring are more neutral in colors. I got this copy on a flea market for a really low price, somthing like CHF 8.-- as far as I remember.

The Konica AR 4/21mm is an early retrofocus superwide, and its lens section is extremely similar to the Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 4/20mm. However, the large single postive front lens of the Flektogon was replaced by a doublet, probably improving the color correction. The AR 4/21mm has an extremely uniform performance from f4 up to f16. This lens was part of a set which I bought a few years ago for about CHF 90.--.

S

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Dog

really nice set!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Minolta, the "downgraded X-700" aka X-500, here shown with the corresponding MD-III lenses 2/135mm and 2.8/200mm.

The X-500 and X-700 cameras have one of the very best SLR viewfinders I know - much larger than e. g. the later Nikon (D)SLRs. Both cameras should be combined with the Minolta MD-1 motor drive. This one, again, handles superior to the motordrives for the Canon New F-1 or the Nikon F3, but it is slower (only 3.5 fps).

The X-500 does have a few nice features which make it - in my opinion - more useful than the earlier X-700, among them the light metering in manual mode, and the TTL flash sync speed (fixed 1/60s with the X-700, variable / adjustable with the X-500).

S

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Probably the most sophisticated analog SLR ever built - the Minolta Dynax 7 (also known as Maxxum 7). Here's a nice set I just got yesterday, including the Minolta AF 3.5-4.5/24-105mm zoom, the Minolta AF 2/28mm fast wideangle and a 3600 HS D flash.

The Dynax 7 has a few features one would expect from a digital SLR, but not from a film camera - such as a kind of EXIF data recording, a LCD monitor on the back (which makes her look like an early DSLR), and lots of buttons.

EDIT:

Here's the rear side Wink

Doesn't she look like a real early DSLR? In fact around 1995-2000 Minolta did produce some of the technologically most advanced DSLRs. Sadly, the then head of Minolta (the son of its founder) was stubbornly convinced that digital photography would never succeed. It was his decision that the extremely expensive early Minolta DSLR (RD-175 [1995], and RD-3000 [1999]) would be put into the cheapest plastic SLR bodies available - and not into the beautiful full metal (stainless steel!) body of the Dynax 9!

So in the year 2000 the Dynax 7 was born. Would it have been a digital SLR (as the engineers wanted it to be) I'm pretty sure Minolta would still sell cameras today. When finally in 2004 the digital Dynax 7D came out, it was too late, even though the Dynax 7D is extremely well made given the fact that it is not a professional DSLR.

S

What can it do that a Nikon F5 or F6 cannot do?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rather common Konica Autoreflex T4 SLR with Konica AR 1.4/50mm (2nd version). On the right two not-so-common Konica AR wideangle lenses, the AR 2.8/21mm and the AR 2.8/24mm II:

S

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
The rather common Konica Autoreflex T4 SLR with Konica AR 1.4/50mm (2nd version). On the right two not-so-common Konica AR wideangle lenses, the AR 2.8/21mm and the AR 2.8/24mm II:

S

Nice! Wouldn't mind having that 21mm. I have the f4 and it is a very good lens. But slower and bigger...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zamo wrote:
stevemark wrote:

S

Nice! Wouldn't mind having that 21mm.

That's what I was thinking for years as well. A few days ago I found a small advertising saying "Konica T3 plus wideangle for sale". The lens, at first glance, did look very much like the ubiquituous AR 3.5/28mm. Since the price was rather steep for a T3 plus 3.5/28mm, nobody did look close enough to discover the AR 2.8/21mm ...

Zamo wrote:
I have the f4 and it is a very good lens. But slower and bigger...

I haven't compared the two AR 21mm lenses side by side. Fist impression is that the 4/21mm might be as good or even better than the 2.8/21mm, but I'm not sure yet. The 4/21mm doesn't change much when stopping down - it's rather good at f4, and not really exceptional at f11. The 2.8/21mm changes quite a lot when stopping down.

DigiChromeEd wrote:

That black T3 looks gorgeous - I've only the chrome one. Actually the AR 2.8/21mm (as mentioned above) came with a like new Konica T3N plus an equally nice copy of the first version of the AR 1.4/50mm. Unlike most other Konica T/T2/T3 SLRs I own, this one did not have a stuck shutter!

DigiChromeEd wrote:

Nice image of the first version of the AR 2.8/24mm - thanks for sharing!

S

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazer0ne wrote:
I would hardly call mine a test. Though, I noticed on cropped format APS-C at 2 meters focus the 21/4 clearly forms astigmatism where the 21/2.8 does not. However, the 21/.2.8 sometimes did have slight corner CA and the highlight shoulder roll off was a little harsh in full sun. I had blown highlights. That's with no shade. At MFD I have some photos with incredible center sharpness on the 21/2.8 and it looked fairly even across the frame. You should throw a minolta 21/2.8 into a test and see how it compares between the other two on full frame.

Yep - Full Frame will give results quite different from APS-C. I first may compare only the AR 4/21mm and the AR 2.8/21. Later on other well known vintage 21mm and 20mm lenses may follow (FD 2.8/20, Mamiya CS 2.8/20, Minolta 2.8/21 and 2.8/20, Nikkor 2.8/20, Olympus 3.5/21, Pentax A 2.8/20, Topcon RE 4/20, and Yashica ML 3.5/21).

S

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and since we just are at it - here are the two lenses, AR 4/21mm and AR 2.8/21mm:

Of course DigichromEd's T3 is much better preserved than my T ...

S