Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pulling Fuji Neopan 400
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Pulling Fuji Neopan 400 Reply with quote

Currently in a folder, I have a roll of Fuji Neopan 400. I exposed most of the roll at 100 so far and thought I'd try some caffenol developer, which benefits from pulling the film by two stops, but then I changed my mind about caffenol - I'll use that soon, and I'd rather process this one in conventional dev.
I have a supply of D-76, but cannot find any info or anyone who's developed Neopan 400 in D-76 pulled two stops.
Anyone got any ideas?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this site, very useful for developing times . I know you can push film, but underpush ... don't know about . anyway

http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When pulling the films I usually follow the Thornton's guidelines as he explained in his book "Edge of Darkness". He suggests two cut in half box speed when you have "bright sky with clear soft edged shadows" and reduce accordingly development time by 20%. Further if "the light is contrasty with sharp edged shadows" his suggestion is expose another third of a stop more and cut the time by 33%. I'm still experimenting but this seems to work for me. Now my best guess in your case will be to cut the time between 45 and 50%. If you need to be extremely sure to get acceptable result you can also run a clip test processing a small section at the beginning of the roll and then eventually adjust your development time.
Hope this helps.
Marty.
PS I'm currently using Ilford Perceptol 1-3 with HP5+ and FP4+

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh go on! Use the caffenol...
D76 is not the best for an over exposed film - I'd have thought a fine grain one maybe better - but... less time and/or more dilute, but your still going to get very contrasty negs. I don't think many overexpose by two stops on purpose unless for an effect, such as Caffenol.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like I might be better to just go ahead and use the caffenol as planned. I suppose the caffenol is a low-activity dev, which would sort of equate to conventional dev very dilute and/or cut way down in time.
Caffenol negs I've seen are sometimes (and only sometimes) quite impressive, but it seems there's more go wrong than right, first go.
There are a couple of pics on this roll I'd thought to preserve.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just done it in Caffenol-C, and it's drying now.
For future ref, here's the recipe I used for a 120 film.

To make 500ml
9 level teaspoons of Lidl instant coffee
4 level teaspoons of Sodium Carbonate
1.5 grams of Vitamin C (3 crushed Vit C tablets)

Development time: 35minutes, agitated for 1 minute every 5.

Fixed in Ilfofix powdered fixer made up to standard strength for 5 minutes

Washed with continuous agitation for three complete changes and the third change left for 10 minutes with occasional agitation.

That's it.

Results later... they look not bad, for a first go.

Last edited by Farside on Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:

Fixed in Ilfosol powdered fixer made up to standard strength for 5 minutes

You mean Ilfofix? Ilfosol is a film developer.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seele wrote:
Farside wrote:

Fixed in Ilfosol powdered fixer made up to standard strength for 5 minutes

You mean Ilfofix? Ilfosol is a film developer.

I bloody well hope so.

I've just checked, it's Ilfofix 11. I knew it wasn't Ilford dev powder I'd picked up by mistake, as I have none of that anyway, and the D76 is unopened.

See the results at http://forum.mflenses.com/voigtlander-bessa-1935-caffenol-c-t18885.html

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess its just the interest in "darkroom work"+ timings (of in fo appearing, that's inspired this question . . .

What's the draw of caffenol?
- is it home brewing a developer?
or
-does it generate an effect?
or
-is it more suited to certain aps?

Confused
JIm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j.lukow wrote:
I guess its just the interest in "darkroom work"+ timings (of in fo appearing, that's inspired this question . . .

What's the draw of caffenol?
- is it home brewing a developer?
or
-does it generate an effect?
or
-is it more suited to certain aps?

1. Yes, just to see what it did. I was interested in what could be done without normal developers.
2. Very grainy and old-fashioned effect, but more tweaking would have reduced that. Some of the caffenol results are very good.
3. Depends what you want - some people like a lot of grain; I don't.