Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

portraits Helios 40-2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: portraits Helios 40-2 Reply with quote

Hello there
Here are some sunset portraits taken with the Helios 40-2(85mm f1.5)
hope you like them

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like them all Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful! not easy to keep both eyes in focus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great indeed. More please Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all Very Happy
i find that this lens is more difficult then others to find and keep the things you want to shoot in focus
(example keeping both eye's in focus)

Regards
Catalin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely samples of what this fun lens can do

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arhi_tectu1 wrote:

i find that this lens is more difficult then others to find and keep the things you want to shoot in focus
(example keeping both eye's in focus)

Nice portraits, Catalin Smile

Judging from your photos, the issue of not having both eyes in focus does not depend on the lens. It depends on the aperture that you set.
From the typical glare, and the DOF of course, I would say that you used the Helios wide open, or almost. And, given that it's a 58mm lens and you made very close up portraits,
you must have been quite near to the girl. Something like 2 meters distance, maybe also less.
Now, the distance between the two eyeballs, which usually is something around 6-7 centimetres, may seem like a short distance, but if you think with the optical mind,
in order to cover a focus distance of 7 cms from a distance of 2 meters you need the lens to be well stopped down. I don't have a focusing table at hand, but judging from experience,
I think you would need a minimum of f/4 to have both eyes in acceptable focus, more probably f/5.6, if your focus is on the nearer eye. If you focus on the more distant eye, a f/5.6 or f/8 probably.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops... I notice now that the lens is a 40-2, so a 85mm lens.
But the reasoning does not change much: you were more distant, but at the same time a 85mm lens offers less DOF, so the figures I gave should be still reasonably correct.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with you orio
it's not possible to have both eyes in focus at full aperture if you shoot from the side (all the shoots where f 1.5 or f2)(and its an 85mm lens) but if you look at the last photo the camera was almost perpendicular to her face
all that i'm trying to say its that from all my "75 and 85mm" lenses i find the helios the most tricky to focus

Regads
Catalin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the last shot does not seem to have a particular focus problem. Perhaps you slightly front-focused, but there isn't a big difference between the two eyes.
So I think it's all normal. Smile Obviously a f/1.5 can be a tough beast to use wide open: it's enough that you, or your subject, slightly tilt after having focused the lens,
even just for breathing, that the perfect focus is gone. But that is true of all f/1.5 lenses, not just of the Helios Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
I like them all Very Happy

+1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good, but #2 is my favourite, with #5 close behind.

Forget keeping both eyes in focus wide open.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great serie, my fav is # 5, I like her smile on this one Very Happy ....