Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Polypan F50 in Microdol-X, Contax IIIa, Biogon 2.8/35
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Polypan F50 in Microdol-X, Contax IIIa, Biogon 2.8/35 Reply with quote

This was just a short test roll to see how this developer worked with this film. Grain is virtually non-existent but sharpness is a bit lacking. Tonality is improved over my previous efforts with this film in Fomadon LQN, but still not great; however that may be due to the poor light. I'll try this film/developer combo again when we get some decent light.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I welcome all comments, good or bad, I value criticism and am not sensitive in the slightest so don't be afraid to say so if you think it's crap Wink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last couple of ones are good, I almost always miss something from Polypan shoots, lack of contrast can be wheather can be film itself. Based on last shoots probably work nice enough on darker subjects. Similiar shoots like last ones on good film can be superb.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I welcome all comments, good or bad, I value criticism and am not sensitive in the slightest so don't be afraid to say so if you think it's crap Wink

Too many similar shots and why not show your best results Question It seems pointless showing poor results as anyone can do that, unless you are asking for an opinion on something going wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Too many similar shots and why not show your best results Question It seems pointless showing poor results as anyone can do that, unless you are asking for an opinion on something going wrong.

+1 Usually people tired above 3 shoots, I did also miss this, due easy to drag and drop, I try to avoid and show only a few bests.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's because I'm trying to show people the different results I have been able to obtain. Polypan is by far the cheapest BW film on the market, works out at 30p a roll and is still in production, so if it can be used for pictorial use with success, I think it's something that will interest many people. I've been going through a process of trying it with different developers to see if I can obtain a result equal to good BW films like Fomapan. This is why I keep showing very similar shots, so it is possible to make direct comparisons in terms of grain, sharpness and most of all, tonality. It's a slow process of testing and trialing and I'm just documenting it as I go along so that I can perhaps guide others and save them from having to go through the same process themselves. It's not about pretty pictures, it's about thorough testing and evaluation of an interesting film stock; I'm posting the results in the hope it is useful to people.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this case this is wrong place , Galleries to art-work not for film presentation include weakness Sad I did move your thread to proper place.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this case this is wrong place , Galleries to art-work not for film presentation include weakness Sad I did move your thread to proper place.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou, I agree, I didn't realise that the galleries were for exposition of the best film shots, so it was my mistake. With a bit of luck I will eventually produce something from Polypan worth of the gallery. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Look forward it

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't hold your breath, might be months before we get any good light here. Sad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try it with flash or with tripod small aperture and we will see it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There doesn't seem to be a sharpness problem to me, rather a focusing problem, as many of the shots are front-focused compared to what feels like it was your intention.
If you spot the focused areas (which in #3 #5 is so in front that it almost falls out of the frame), there seems to be good detail.
Are you sure that the rangefinder in your camera is perfectly calibrated? Have you made a test roll about that?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Orio

I sharpened these heavily, using 60% adaptive sharpening strength with Nik Sharpener plugin.

Can you tell me which ones look misfocussed to you please.

I am 99.9% sure the rf on my Contax is accurate, I've shot loads of rolls with it already and not had a problem even wide open.

This was wide open with the Biogon, I focussed on that wide stepladder back left and that is the sharpest part of the frame when I viewed it closely:

This one was at f4, I focussed on the lower of the two bolts closest to the camera and it looks to me like that is the sharpest part of the frame.

This one was wide open with the Biogon and I focussed on the long silver handle on the tray of onion bhajis on the back right, again, that is the point of greatest sharpness.

For comparison, here is a shot with the Biogon using Fujicolor 200, I forget what aperture now, probably f5.6:

Even the crappy Kobak Color Plus 200 is noticeably sharper than the Polypan, this was probably f8:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Can you tell me which ones look misfocussed to you please.

Sure: in #3 the most foreground grass is quite visibly sharper than the bolt. In #5 I am of the impression that the writing on the panel is not blurred, but not in perfect focus either,
and since nothing of what is behind it is sharper, I would assume that the perfect focus point might be somewhere slightly more in front than the panel.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou. In 5 the lens was set to f5.6 and I focussed on the sign on the right foreground.

I have a 30m tape measure so I'll check it out.

I suspect it is an operator issue more than a camera issue, but we shall see.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just some info:- do you remember I loved Johnsons Unitol for B&W Question It ceased production and the rumour was Jessops sold it as Econotol, erm that stopped and rumour was Aculux 2 was similar... you guessed it that stopped as well.........and drum roll these people are selling it and I assume from the original formula, but it seems expensive just to try Question : -

http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/paterson-aculux-3-360-p.asp

http://forum.mflenses.com/3-portraits-fuji-neopan-acros-100-aculux-3-9min-t20752,highlight,%2Baculux.html