Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Planar 1.4/85 in Taxi Driver
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Planar 1.4/85 in Taxi Driver Reply with quote

The famous movie Taxi Driver was shot with (amongst other lenses) an arriflex Planar 1.4/85, which is the same lens as Contax, Contarex and Rollei. In fact, it displays the unmistakeable 3-blades bokeh of the Rollei version.
Marco Cavina writes about that in one of his articles, scroll down to near the bottom of the page and find some screen shots of the movie where you see Bob De Niro and the Planar triangular highlights in the background! Smile

http://www.luciolepri.it/lc2/marcocavina/articoli_fotografici/Zeiss_Planar_85mm_1,4/00_pag.htm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WAY cool! Thanks for this fun link! What a lens!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was very interesting to read and review. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Does rollei really have 3 blades? In taxi driver there got to be three blades and a little stopped down. I cant see that bokeh shape here, maybe it was shot wide open all the time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acIRm1R9XUg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wait, here it is...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S_Pl-npUd8

I really like that bokeh! Is this possible with modifying some lenses? removing every second blade?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

egidio wrote:

I really like that bokeh! Is this possible with modifying some lenses? removing every second blade?

It is possible but the f/stop markings will no longer be accurate.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. Probably my favorite aspect of that movie has been the bokeh in what I've always felt was brilliant cinematography. Back in those days, the term 'bokeh' didn't even exist, but I knew what I liked! Huh, I guess that Planar was a lot of it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The planar is something else !!

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helpful article Orio, definitely a reference to bookmark
I liked the 3 small hearths on the portrait of his wife Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this information, I didn't know this! It must be said that Marco Cavina writes very thorough articles; I really hope that his articles will be completely translated to English in the future (I hate the sometimes strange gibberish created by Google Translate).