Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Picture sizes and their prices.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Picture sizes and their prices. Reply with quote

Please give me your suggestion about picture sizes and their prices here!

Currently I did set following ones , based on fotolia.co.uk.

Please count it, we are starter size low price help in to make it popular in designers communities, once we get enough visitors and purchases we able to increase our prices step by step.

1 )Genuine size what you upload, price set by you.

Quality: XS
Dimensions: 400x300(px)
Price: $0.50

Quality: S
Dimensions: 800x600(px)
Price: $1.00

Quality: M
Price: $2.00

Quality: L
Price: $4.00

Quality: XL
Price: $6.00

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that not all images are the same, so they should be priced differently.
I can price an image 1 Euro if it was taken as a snapshot in a few seconds.
I have many of that type, that I will sell like that.

But for images like that of the pumpkins, that required me one full evening of work
for placing the objects, the lights, and digital editing
(not to mention the purchase of the materials)
I can not set such a low price, it just does not make it worth it.

I would like to have the opportunity to sell some long work quality images
at an intermediate price of 10-15 Euros for a moderate size like 1024 pixels,
and keep a realistic price for the full size.

This way, if someone is interested, they can buy the 1024 pixels image, and I can always
offer them an upgrade path if they want to buy the full size, by discounting
the amount that they paid for the 1024 size.

Also, we need to price editorial photos differently from full commercial photos.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to figure out how photographer can price each size, but in my current knowledge photographer can size only genuine image.

Resized smaller ones come from defaults. You can try to figure out also based on documentation and demo manager interface.

http://forum.mflenses.com/how-to-use-it-t44179.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I will try to figure out how photographer can price each size, but in my current knowledge photographer can size only genuine image.
Resized smaller ones come from defaults. You can try to figure out also based on documentation and demo manager interface.
http://forum.mflenses.com/how-to-use-it-t44179.html

I think there is no need to have custom sizes.
It would be enough to have an intermediate size between 800 px and 1600 px
800 can be too small to judge quality, while with 1600 px you can even print on small books.
I think 1024 would give the viewer a little extra edge to judge image quality, without reaching an easily printable size.

Also the price difference between 800 and 1600 pixels is too small in my opinion.
Currently, 800 pixel is priced 1 Euro and 1600 pixel is priced 2 Euros
But with a 1600 pixels picture, if image quality is good, you can even use the image for a magazine or book, while with 800 pixels you would not (unless tiny)
So in my view price of 800 px is appropriate (for web use for instance) while price of 1600 px should be at least 5 Euros, preferably 10.

I would price as follows - introductory prices (to be raised after some time):
800 px = 1 Euro
1024 px = 3 Euro
1600 px = 8 Euro

Then after the site has grown a bit, we can raise 800 px to 3 Euros, 1024 pixels to 5 Euros and 1600 px to 15 Euros
Which I think are the correct proportions for what the sizes allow to do.

Prices of editorial images should be at least 30% less than full commercial images.

Last edited by Orio on Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing: I think we should enter a new field in the submission form, called "image size", that will show on the image's public page.
The fact is that the image sizes will vary, because not everybody uses the same camera and
because sometimes it is necessary to crop the original format to perfection the composition.
So it's misleading to leave one size only as "maximum size".
For instance, my maximum possible size (with the 5DMkII) is larger than the maximum size indicated on the shop.

Also the "instructions" should be visible from the public image page.
Or otherwise, enter another new field called "License" where you specify if the image comes
with a full commercial use license or an editorial use license only (non-commercial).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those prices are RF I presume?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:

RF ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Himself wrote:

RF ?

Rangefinder prices. It means that if you get too close to the items, you'll get parallax price errors Laughing Razz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let we see more opinion about prices, sizes and finally we will make a common sense and I will set prices and sizes based on them.
I agree with you Orio about sizes and prices. Small size 400px usually enough for most webdesign, this is reason why everybody offer it.
I still looking about license possibility and how can we use different prices , based on license.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Royalty free

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if it is feasible, but, how about also give the photographer an option, if he/she wishes to raise the price of a particular photo. A photographer can raise the price above the default price but not lower it. I do not think we want any undercutting here.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
Not sure if it is feasible, but, how about also give the photographer an option, if he/she wishes to raise the price of a particular photo. A photographer can raise the price above the default price but not lower it. I do not think we want any undercutting here.

Photographer can change price any time for genuine picture and he can select any time which size going to sale , but resized price is fix set by default only admin can change it. Software has a price sheme editor what I still not understand how it works.

Sorin, stock photo sites as I know sell Royalty free images.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock photos sites that I know sell RF, RM, RM exclusive.
Prices accordingl to the choice.
I`m registered with Alamy. I can sell pictures RF, RM or RM exclusive.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found here RF, and RM , but I still don't have clue yet how ...

http://www.ktools.net/photostore/sell-photos-online/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here a sample for RM license with same software
http://www.stockaphoto.com/people_beauty_fashion_g66-boy_giving_wink_p2981.html

I will try to set similar here and we able to discuss it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think that not all images are the same, so they should be priced differently.
I can price an image 1 Euro if it was taken as a snapshot in a few seconds.
I have many of that type, that I will sell like that.

But for images like that of the pumpkins, that required me one full evening of work
for placing the objects, the lights, and digital editing
(not to mention the purchase of the materials)
I can not set such a low price, it just does not make it worth it.

I did see many stock photo sites , quick snap hoots are not sold really.

Best selling pictures are business type pictures require, model , studio lot of investments and still for not much like 20-50 USD.

but hundred or thousand times was sold.

we need to count following facts I think.

some picture is sell able alone for poster like your pumpkin shoot certainly okay any price and don't need to sell for 1 USD ,
it will not sell in mass amount and hopefully not available on stock photo sites similar ones.

another type pictures real stock photo pictures what I did upload in business category they go cheap , but in mass amount.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally I found how can we set it.

http://stockphotoeu.com/food_drink_g37-sprelle_p16.html

Now need to know what would you like to see as right management.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much on stock photo. Beside setting the image size, do we need to set the dpi?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
I don't know much on stock photo. Beside setting the image size, do we need to set the dpi?

We need to figure out only which sizes should we sell and for how much.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding quality and sizes. Will "our" normal customer be satisfied with jpg? I know other sites offer tif. Is this something to consider?
Much simpler to stick with jpg, but will it be the best solution for the customer?

/T

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

torbod wrote:
Regarding quality and sizes. Will "our" normal customer be satisfied with jpg? I know other sites offer tif. Is this something to consider?
Much simpler to stick with jpg, but will it be the best solution for the customer?

/T

Stockphoto usually made for designers, jpg is fine to them , don't need other format. If you think nice to offer other format you can put into note one of the submit field and send to user manually. Under many years of design field even for print stuff, we were fine with large resolution jpeg.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do we have to break our heads with that?
Every stock site that I know has a calculator.
Can we go on from there, I mean this site, Atilla, doesnt have a calculator embedded?
My next question is : who will host the thousands of terrabytes and for what cost?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
Why do we have to break our heads with that?
Every stock site that I know has a calculator.
Can we go on from there, I mean this site, Atilla, doesnt have a calculator embedded?
My next question is : who will host the thousands of terrabytes and for what cost?

At the beginning we rent host include software , 50 GB space and 250 GB traffic is included to 50 USD monthly fee.
We had 10 25 usd donation already, so this is fine up to 5 months. After that commission from photographers , subscribers have to cover all costs. I did set 30% off commission initially , we need to discuss also here and compare with other sites. I can imagine other commission scheme also for example yearly fee for photographers too or/and commission etc. If this project rich quiet success in next several months I will move it to own server with purchased software instead of renting it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With 50 GB space we have to upload only small resolution pictures,low compression.