Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus E 4/3's system and manual focus lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: m4/3 adaptors Reply with quote

Declan
The two body types of 4/3 require different adaptor types!!!!

Verify before you buy as confusion exists in the Chinese bucket shops, RJ may be the best even if more expensive, as they helped pioneer 4/3 adaptors?

Atilla just meant that a chip (which can be transferred from one body type to another) which lights the confirmation of focus light, is not necessary on the m4/3 body types as they can magnify live view focus.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: m4/3 adaptors Reply with quote

pat donnelly wrote:
Declan

Verify before you buy as confusion exists in the Chinese bucket shops, RJ may be the best even if more expensive, as they helped pioneer 4/3 adaptors?

Atilla just meant that a chip (which can be transferred from one body type to another) which lights the confirmation of focus light, is not necessary on the m4/3 body types as they can magnify live view focus.

yes of course sir, sorry for the mis interpretation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem!

Confusion exists and I did not want you to suffer the consequences of their errors.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an E420 and until recently knew nothing about any difference of adapter sizes. I read somewhere that the AF chip makes little difference to outcome of your photos.

So, I bought a "OM to 4/3" (non-AF focus type) generic adapter and also bought a few lenses..

This pic, I shot on 'manual' using nothing but 'through the lens' metering and manual focus..

(KIRON 80-200MM f/4.5 on Olympus E420 body)

"Cal, in the snow.."

I may be failing on many levels (I am just a keen amateur), but I am personally pleased with the photos that I make for myself.

I hope this helps a similar keen amateur who is pondering about buying a legacy lens and adapter from somewhere like eBay.

Mike Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikenco wrote:

This pic, I shot on 'manual' using nothing but 'through the lens' metering and manual focus..

(KIRON 80-200MM f/4.5 on Olympus E420 body)

"Cal, in the snow.."

Mike Smile

NICE ONE! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: It's not Rocket Science! Reply with quote

But it is not easy either. You took a risk, submitting a picture.

But it paid off! Good one! Now get out there and find out the weaknesses in that lens! They are the interesting bits that will add even more to your pictures.

They are what set your pictures apart from anyone elses, except with identical or better knowledge and equipment. Even, then, we cosole ourselves with our efforts.

The problem I find with a large zoom is weight and bulk? It stops me from bringing the equipment everywhere, so I take the ep 1.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't find the Kiron 80-200 too big to drag around, but agree that some lens are bit large. My Paragon f8 500mm is like a tank barrel. Laughing

The only weakness I have found with these old lens is mostly a failing on my part, which is manual focussing. I'll spend a while getting everything perfect, then fluff up the focussing by a few mm. I am out of practice with manual focussing, but am enjoying getting back to grips with it.

I'm looking forward to better weather when I can get out and find more subjects.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey fellow Olympians!

Does anyone of you use an e620/600 with manual glass? If so, how do you focus? Viewfinder or liveview? If you use the viewfinder, do you use a magnifying eye piece?
I don't get the right focus with the viewfinder!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnify the live view.

Not sure if your cameras OS works the same, but this works on my e420.

Push the live view button to turn on the rear screen. Then push the 'info' repeatedly button until a small green square appears on the screen. Now push the 'ok' button. "7x" should appear in the bottom left and the screen should magnify. move the option dial and it should switch to "10x".

I find this only really useful for manual focusing whilst on a tripod.

I hope it works for you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what I do at the moment!

I thought a magnifying eyepiece would be an alternative!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen them on ebay. They do look good, but are not cheap as you probably know. I'd be interested too to hear from anyone who has one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TENPA-1-36x-Magnifier-Eyepiece-OLYMPUS-E-420-E-450-/370536966671?pt=US_Viewfinders_Eyecups&hash=item5645b96a0f#ht_5773wt_958

What stops these falling off?.. I have already lost two standard eye pieces while carrying the camera on the strap over my shoulder.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Olympus E-620 with Vivitar 650-1300mm zoom Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I have an Olympus E-620 4/3 with Vivitar 650-1300mm zoom. I got an A/F confirm for this lens. One problem I'm having with this lens/camera is that I cannot figure out how to adjust the F-stop. The camera sets it at F-2.8 and I cannot get it to change to anything else. If I put on of the Olympus lenses on I can adjust F-stop to any number I wish. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If programmed correctly the Adapter tells the camera the widest aperture! But it has to be programmed for every single lens again!

Anyway, you can't adjust the f-stop as with AF lenses as there is no coupling what so ever between lens and camera!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: m4/3 adaptors Reply with quote

pat donnelly wrote:
Declan

Yes Pat, finally sold my E520 and move to EPL1, also change few fix lens, i see you have Tamron 90/f2.5, i'm just won bidding this lens...so what about this lens?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Pansonic Lumix DMC L10k Reply with quote

I just went trough this topic and there was a lot written about focus confirmation.
So wanted to add that the Panasonic Lumix DMC L10k has a focus confirmation LED in the viewfinder information display.
This is obviously not an Olympus DSLR, although it uses a lot of Olympus tech. I seemed pointless to to start a separate topic about Panasonic DSLR' s since they only made two. (Not counting the rebranded Lieca cameras)
As far as I know this is the only four thirds DSLR with a build in confirmation LED. This and the lower AA filter makes me hold on to it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Panasonic L1 has the same confirmation tech build inside!

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 1:52 am    Post subject: 5 mpx sensors Olympus, 8 mpx Canon Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Jesito wrote:
Hi Bob,
Nice to have a place to comment on the 4/3 Olympus. I haven't gotten one yet, but I'm behind one right now. I saw a nice couple made by a E-300 and an Industar 50 small lens, and I felt that was my "compact" camera to wear around...
So hopefully I'll be soon asking for adapters to M42, Adaptall-2 and Contax/Yashica lenses for the Oly.
But by now, let's wait until the Oly will become real.
Best regards,
Jes.

Jes, I'm reasonably sure this little pic made from a 1.2MP camera
didn't influence you in any way:

My e300 cost $215 ($205 + $10 shipping) and came with 3 batteries and
a charger, all paperwork and software, original box, not bad for an 8MP
camera!

I think you will like the e300! Smile

Bill

I have to worry everyone but the 4/3 and m4/3 sensors are not even 5 mpx.
Their actual size is 1857x2476=4,597,932 px.
Hence, even the first E1 model had to have a software extension.
This is because all pixels are really of same size=7 um.
Perhaps it's true what it says here below that Sony has now made sensors with 3.3 um pixels.
https://www.dpreview.com/news/6861091273/sony-semiconductor-reveals-20mp-stacked-cmos-ready-for-micro-four-thirds

This can only be confirmed under an electron microscope.
According to my calculations, the first Kodak SLR sensors they made from film cameras 30 y. ago were 28 um.