Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor 80-200 f/4.5 Ai vs Vivitar S1 70-210 f/3.5 (Kiron)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Nikkor 80-200 f/4.5 Ai vs Vivitar S1 70-210 f/3.5 (Kiron) Reply with quote

I had posted earlier about this pair of similar focal range zooms. Photos of the moon showed the vivitar to be much softer; this could have been an infinity focus issue.

Then I tried some closer shots (target perhaps 30-50 metres away). Today I set up a still-life of bottles and shot from close range. Sensor to target (focus point) distance was 240cm. Total depth of the subject was 28cm.

Its a cloudy, dull day so I used ISO 400. I was looking for crispness, texture detail (in bottle glass and in the background of the yellow label), shadow and hilight detail. Shots were taken from a tripod and using remote shutter release. These are 100% crops. The full size images will be up on flickr in a moment.

f/5.6 1/1000s

Nikkor

Vivitar

f/8 1/500s

Nikkor

Vivitar

f/11 1/250s

Nikkor

Vivitar

f/16 1/125s

Nikkor

Vivitar

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The full size images are uploaded. To show where the crop came from, here is an uncropped image (Nikon, f/11).

The vivitar shots are taken at 200mm as near as i can judge, not the maximum 210,mm (to try to get the same framing for both lenses).

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my eyes the Nikkor has the edge - slightly crisper.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Richards assessment that the Nikkor has the advantage...However, it is also more expensive than the Vivitar & for most people, the Vivitar's IQ would be sufficient

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely the Nikkor!!

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience Nikkor lenses are better in every focal length than Kiron or Vivitars even at best Kiron lenses.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially at 5.6 the Nikon is much better.

Ironically I got the Vivitar because of the sloppy focus/zoom ring on the nikkor which is apparently a common fault. And it cost me more than the Nikkor did ...

So then I decided zooms were not as good as primes, hence the Telear. But its still not straightforward ...

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screamin Scott wrote:
I agree with Richards assessment that the Nikkor has the advantage...However, it is also more expensive than the Vivitar & for most people, the Vivitar's IQ would be sufficient

The Nikkor cost me 30.50 euro (plus postage), the Vivitar 32 pounds (around 43 euro at the time). Of course both were much more expensive when new.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Nikkor 80~200/4.5 went for about $700 when new. It was the first zoom lens accepted by the pro's as being equal to the primes. I've got one of the early single-coated versions, and a first-generation multicoated lens that I got hold of the factory AI part to upgrade it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, not even comparable. The resolving power of the Nikon is so much higher that the Vivitar photos even appear to be more noisy because of that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the 4.5 and the Vivitar are really sloppy ones... you got to like that "not that good" feeling
of these lenses. I can't stand it, sold both and finally found a lens to maintain: The Nikkor 80-200mm 2.8 AIS ED
which produced and produces images just out of this world. No other 2.8 Telephoto found
that achieved these results (and I have testet the newest Nikkor 2.8 telezooms as well - the
legend just beats all successors. Very Happy

You can find images here: http://forum.mflenses.com/nikon-history-the-nikkor-80-200mm-2-8-ais-ed-t55661.html