Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MTO 1000mm f11 mirror lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: MTO 1000mm f11 mirror lens Reply with quote

Even with my sturdiest tripod was hard to handle it in wind, probably with rock solid tripod and on wind free day result will better.

Subject distance was at least 800-1000m one side from river Danube to other side. Pictures are sharpened, contrast fixed, looks like in jpg now than in genuine large file.

#2-1

#2-2

#2-3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

results look pretty good for a mirror lens, I still think refractor would be better though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
results look pretty good for a mirror lens, I still think refractor would be better though.

Yep.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think mirror lenses can be good as than normal lenses, I say it based on Minolta 250mm and Tamron 350mm SP experience they are brilliant sharp with stunning colors, key here is 1000mm focal length simple too long to make lens in much better quality and affordable price.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good!
It's like a real telescope!

Loved the fact you can snipe a street name sign from a kilometer away.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misha_M wrote:
Very good!

Indeed, probably a real telescope makes better pictures in smaller size, I am not sure I did never try it.
In my experience above 500mm is pretty hopeless with those lenses what I can afford, probably with $$$ lenses too Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Misha_M wrote:
Very good!

Indeed, probably a real telescope makes better pictures in smaller size, I am not sure I did never try it.
In my experience above 500mm is pretty hopeless with those lenses what I can afford, probably with $$$ lenses too Laughing

Once I did try best binoculars made by Carl Zeiss Jena to millitary purposes , that was awesome long distance experience far superior to any photographic lens what I did try.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive.

Let's not get into talking rubbish about 1000mm refractors being better, first of all, they are very rare, second they are very expensive and third they are bloody massive.

So this MTO is rather remarkable, being affordable but excellent.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

impressive 1000mm !

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks very impressive indeed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks usable if you take time with it,Thanks for testing it for me...what would be a fair price?= MTO 1100mm f10.5 M42 mount lens.

I would have loved to have seen it on the NEX,the NEX would have looked like a pimple on the backside of an elephant. Laughing Cool

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent results.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very impressive. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1000mm shot looks great. The resolution is probably better than what the 800mm f/5.6 Nikkor can deliver.

Assuming your target is 1000m away, one arc-second is about 5mm. If the mortar between bricks is roughly 10mm (2 arc-sec), it looks like you resolution might be something like 1 arc-second, since the lines are pretty well defined.

The best I can get with the 800mm conventional telephoto is something like 1.5 to 2 arc-sec (based on pixel peeping at 0.55 or 1.11 arc-seonds per pixel), and this was with stacking multiple shots, with drizzle processing, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
It looks usable if you take time with it,Thanks for testing it for me...what would be a fair price?= MTO 1100mm f10.5 M42 mount lens.

I would have loved to have seen it on the NEX,the NEX would have looked like a pimple on the backside of an elephant. Laughing Cool

Laughing on local market go around 200 USD, my lens in local shop on sale. I didn't try to sell on Ebay due over 2kg and shipping cost is 50-70 USD itself. I didn't follow Ebay prices, my guess from peanuts up to 200-300 USD maximum. Anyway I not recommend it to buy one, I see pointless to use it for birding.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Impressive.

Let's not get into talking rubbish about 1000mm refractors being better, first of all, they are very rare, second they are very expensive and third they are bloody massive.

I have a 1000mm takumar and while its not "compact" its not that bad mounted on a tripod or monopod. And it wasnt that expensive
either, I got it for under a grand.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now wait a minute, 2-3 isn't a crop from 2-1 right? That would be impressive.

Which of the samples are 100 % crops?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax in-body OS makes wonders with long focal lengths. Nice shots in described conditions.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Impressive.

I have a 1000mm takumar and while its not "compact" its not that bad mounted on a tripod or monopod. And it wasnt that expensive

That's very expensive compared to an MTO.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
. And it wasnt that expensive
Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxcastle wrote:
hifisapi wrote:
. And it wasnt that expensive
Shocked

I dont think $800 is a lot of money for an optic of that size and quality.
can you imagine what it would cost new???

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
hifisapi wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Impressive.

That's very expensive compared to an MTO.

how much does a MTO cost?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Anyway I not recommend it to buy one, I see pointless to use it for birding.

This one is not for birding, it's for spying Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you need to query finished listings for "russentonne" [Russian Drum]

Way too much for me, from 80 to 300 bucks iirc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Impressive.

Three years ago a camera shop in Wales was offering an MTO 1000 for ....

twenty-five pounds

I passed it up, because I forgot to go back and some other lucky bugger snapped it up.