Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mount compatibilities
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it, I've used Nikon-E lenses on my K100D.

Note - Nikon-E's are AI

I have also used third-party non-AI Nikon-mount lenses on the K100D.

There doesn't seem to be an issue of AI vs non-AI for this purpose.

The bayonets are close enough that they fit right into the PK mount, and you can turn them till they are more or less firm. Some DONT turn properly though, I haven't figured out why. None of them lock of course.

The infinity setting seems to be about the same between mounts, or I haven't noticed a difference. I can get infinity even with a 28mm Nikon-E.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys,

I love this forum, Fantastic. I think I am much more educated on this topic than I was 12 hours back.

Peter, Thanks for the link and the exellent chart.

I think I am getting inclined to the Pentax DSLRs just for the simple reason of my SMC manual focus lenses (50/2, 24/2.8, 135/3.5, 200/4 & 80-200/4.5, actually sold 4 of the Vivitars 8 months back as I was not often using them Sad ) would work perfectly on them.

Abbazz, If Pentax comes out with the full frame body I am all in. Any rumour about when? Wink

Anyone using non Pentax K mount digital? Samsung etc.

In the future probably will get an Oly OM body to dip my fingers in the Zuiko waters.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiladitya wrote:
Thanks Guys,

I love this forum, Fantastic. I think I am much more educated on this topic than I was 12 hours back.

Peter, Thanks for the link and the exellent chart.

I think I am getting inclined to the Pentax DSLRs just for the simple reason of my SMC manual focus lenses (50/2, 24/2.8, 135/3.5, 200/4 & 80-200/4.5, actually sold 4 of the Vivitars 8 months back as I was not often using them Sad ) would work perfectly on them.

Abbazz, If Pentax comes out with the full frame body I am all in. Any rumour about when? Wink

Anyone using non Pentax K mount digital? Samsung etc.

In the future probably will get an Oly OM body to dip my fingers in the Zuiko waters.

Thanks

The Samsung cameras are pretty much rebranded Pentaxes. Differences are small, but noticable. I hear alot of people have more trouble with Samsungs. However, if you can get a GX-20 cheap, it might be worth it. I saw that DPReview, not that I like them, did give K20D highly recommended today.

Your 24mm, 135mm and 200mm are top notch lenses imho.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/mfl_club_members/zewrak/smcpm200mm/

Thats my 200mm testpictures. All taken with K10D at default settings no sharpening or anything added. They were converted from RAW to JPEG and resized using Adobes Camera Raw with default settings.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I've done it, I've used Nikon-E lenses on my K100D.

Note - Nikon-E's are AI

I have also used third-party non-AI Nikon-mount lenses on the K100D.

There doesn't seem to be an issue of AI vs non-AI for this purpose.

The bayonets are close enough that they fit right into the PK mount, and you can turn them till they are more or less firm. Some DONT turn properly though, I haven't figured out why. None of them lock of course.

The infinity setting seems to be about the same between mounts, or I haven't noticed a difference. I can get infinity even with a 28mm Nikon-E.

Surely there must be some magic trick to use to get them to stick? Something simple like tape on the flanges that make them harder to turn Wink. Or a external thing that you can screw on to it when its mounted? Like a bar from the tripod mount that contains a O thingie, similar to a lenstripod mount Wink.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bring to you a solution.

Screw a filtersized thingie onto the lens. It has a arm that extends to a holder that are screwed to the tripod mount. Put lens on, secure it in the holder with a screw Wink.

SIMPLE YET BRILLIANT Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon are quaking in their boots even now, and will contact you shortly for licensing details I am sure.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
Nikon are quaking in their boots even now, and will contact you shortly for licensing details I am sure.

They should and everyone else too, when I put a bellow thingie inbetween the camera and the lens and mount everything with it Wink.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

montecarlo wrote:
Check this http://forum.mflenses.com/using-non-ai-nikkor-lenses-on-pentax-k10d-t3216.html Wink

Thanks Cosmin, I either missed this or forgot it! Smile

zewrak wrote:
I bring to you a solution.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

New chart:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have better information about the Praktica Bayonet mount? I couldn't find the register distance on the net and got it by measuring the difference between the PB and PK Adaptall mounts.

I heard it's possible to adapt a PK/EOS adapter to accept a PB lens, I think Nelson had a go at it recently but the tongues on the PB mount are too thick. I think this would qualify for a yellow box if it's actually been done.

And does anyone know if there are any adapters available for the Sigma mount? It looks like it should accept more than I've indicated.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zewrak wrote:
Your 24mm, 135mm and 200mm are top notch lenses imho.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/mfl_club_members/zewrak/smcpm200mm/

Thats my 200mm testpictures. All taken with K10D at default settings no sharpening or anything added. They were converted from RAW to JPEG and resized using Adobes Camera Raw with default settings.

Thanks for the update on Samsung cameras. Here is a test I had done a year back when I bought my Nikkor 200/4 with the SMC 200 (this has always been my benchmark).

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,68358.html#68358

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiladitya wrote:
I think I am getting inclined to the Pentax DSLRs...

I would say around October, just in time for the end-of-year shopping frenzy. Looking to the test results from the Pentax K20D published today on the DPReview website, it is clear that the Samsung APS sensor is no slouch. The future full frame Pentax DSLR with a Samsung sensor might be the killer cam I have been waiting for so long.

As a side note, the new range of Zeiss lenses is available in Pentax (ZK) and Nikon (ZF) mounts, but not in Canon mount. It's the same for the new Cosina made Voigtländer lenses. The rumor is that the EOS mount is patent protected and Canon refuses to license the rights to third party manufacturers. Sigma, Tamron et al. have to resort to reverse engineering Canon lenses to make their own clones, but there are many compatibility issues. As history has proved that Canon never showed any commitment to lens compatibility, I guess Pentax is not a bad choice from a long term lens compatibility standpoint either.

As you might have guessed, I second your choice of a Pentax DSLR.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently bought my first dSLR and got a Pentax
Opted for the cheap but able *istDS..I believe it is very much an underrated camera:
- Much better handling + faster writing speeds than the more acclaimed *istD ( which got more dedicated buttons )
- unlike the K100 and K200 which have a pentamirror viewfinder it has a very bright pentaprism viewfinder excellent for manual focusing, but on the downside has no IS!
- the K10D and K20D got both, that is pentaprism and IS, and certainly are the best choices, but for 5x or more the prize of the very small and for me much better handling *istDS
- *istDS measures M42 lenses correctly, don't need a +1.5 exposure bias dialed in like all the K models ( use of an aluminum foil to shortcut some contacts can correct his on the K models, so can the use of the *istDS's focusing screen! )

greetings,
Andreas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Does anyone have better information about the Praktica Bayonet mount? I couldn't find the register distance on the net and got it by measuring the difference between the PB and PK Adaptall mounts.

I've not had any success finding a definite answer to that either. Measuring the AD-2 mounts is as good a way as any, I suppose. I'm surprised to find it so, but it must be. I was under the impression the PB register was the same as the PK, but that was by inference, not fact.
I've just measured the thickness of a genuine Praktica M42 lens -> PB adapter and it's 1.9mm thick lens seat to lens seat, whereas you get 2.2mm from M42->PB via Adaptall.
I wonder if the designed distance is 2mm?

Quote:

I heard it's possible to adapt a PK/EOS adapter to accept a PB lens, I think Nelson had a go at it recently but the tongues on the PB mount are too thick. I think this would qualify for a yellow box if it's actually been done.

That's been done for sure by grinding out the middle of an PK->EOS adapter to accept the PB lens. Afair, infinity focus was achieved.