Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Micro FourThirds: e.g. panasonic G1 who is buying?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Micro FourThirds ... Will get one: Yes/No ?
Already bought one (pls state what other camera you are using and what lenses)
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
Planning to buy one soon (what lenses are you using? What body?)
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
Will buy if a certain mount adaptor will be avail (pls state which adaptor and how much you are willing to pay for an adaptor)
23%
 23%  [ 8 ]
not interested in MicroFourThirds (pls state why)
41%
 41%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 34

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Micro FourThirds: e.g. panasonic G1 who is buying? Reply with quote

The Micro FourThirds is like a rangefinder and due to its very short registration distance (less then 20mm), most lenses will be adoptable.

therefore, MicroFourThirds seems like the dream camera system for MF lovers.

who has one (panasonic G1) or is considering ? And why?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G1 is really interesting camera, but it's overpriced here (2/3 more than in US) Sad

It could be quite interesting supplemental body to my SD14 for low-light situations.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of designing and making a new ‘Type’ of camera that is made for digital is a good one. A compact camera with interchangeable lenses and a proven good sensor size can only be good and will offer us a useful new tool. The G1 is not that camera.
It isn’t very compact. It lacks many features. It is way overpriced.
It is the first of a new generation of what may become a popular system and who wants to buy the first ‘Trial’ model?
Olympus will soon be coming out with their version but more exciting will be what Pentax and Canon will offer in the near future. Also I do believe we may eventually see the elusive APS (Or 4/3) sensor rangfinder style compact many of us would like.
Yes the idea is a great on but the G1 isn’t anywhere near a great camera and it isn’t a compact SLR camera or a RF style one. It’s a bit of nothing really and I’m sure there are only a few who really need to fit every odd lens they can find to one just for the hell of it.
Not interested untill we see the design being produced by the other players and have a choice of models, prices and specs.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely I'll buy a Micro FourThirds body one day. However, I'll wait for more body options, more adapters and lower prices.

Has anyone seen adapters for Canon FD lenses for Micro FourThirds?

/Erik

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Range finder lenses was designed from wide angle to short telephoto lenses.
With G1 (2x) crop we loose all wide angle range and we will get normal to medium telephoto range. No thank you! In normal,telephoto range I am fine with Olympus DSLR and with wide angle RF lenses I am satisfied with film.
Simple no reason to buy this camera.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand, e.g. Jupiter-3 50/1.5 is one of the cheapest fast 50mm lenses. On the M4/3 you'll get 100/1.5 lens for nothing Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I am going to get one. Don't know when, but will.
Prefer a smaller size one than current Panasonic G1.

All I need an M->m3/4 adapter (LTM->m3/4 will be OK too), which is
already available. But waiting for some other m3/4 models from olympus
or possibly others.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
On the other hand, e.g. Jupiter-3 50/1.5 is one of the cheapest fast 50mm lenses. On the M4/3 you'll get 100/1.5 lens for nothing Shocked

Count 4/3 body price and compare with a DSLR price+ any 50mm f1.4 lens ...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila,

no-X is comparing against M8, hahaha. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do people always assume that we want small cameras,my 350D is very uncomfortable on its own but with the grip (Hahnel not Canon) it suits me down to the ground.In addition although the EVF on this new camera is supposed to be really good does it match the quality and speed of reaction on an SLR viewfinder,if not then its useless for my purposes as I shoot a lot of Football.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No no.

I am not assuming that people want to have a small camera,
I am the one wants to have shirt pocket size camera with a very
good IQ, this G1 might be not my goal. But someone may come up
with today's digital P&S size m3/4 camera, which is what I want to have.

And it can use some Canon, Leica, and Cosina L-mount lenses, that is
potentially much of fan too I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
No no.

I am not assuming that people want to have a small camera,
I am the one wants to have shirt pocket size camera with a very
good IQ, this G1 might be not my goal. But someone may come up
with today's digital P&S size m3/4 camera, which is what I want to have.

And it can use some Canon, Leica, and Cosina L-mount lenses, that is
potentially much of fan too I guess.

Still problem is 2x crop factor that is kill fun.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This afternoon I have seen a G1 at my local dealers in RED. Great!!! Laughing
The price is already dropping he has it up as ‘one only Bargain’ £439.
Sorry I’m still not interested but I’m sure a red one will temp many Laughing
The viewfinder is very good, much better than any Electronic one I have seen before but yes it has lag. Not that good when panned round in the normal shop light. Is it as good as an older crop DSLR mirror one,- No and nowhere like a Pentaprism one. It isn’t that much better in practical use than the little hotshoe one on my GX100, which can also tilt up as far as 90 degrees. But the rear articulated rear screen is great.
Also the camera seems very slow even after focus is locked there seems to be at least half a second shutter lag.
Please keep the articulated screen drop the electronic viewfinder and use a big life size optical zoom one with optional frame lines, Then put a top mounted info screen on it. Then we are getting near to a camera that can be used quickly or at leisure.
No sorry even though the Red one does look like an old plastic toy camera I’m still not tempted.
I will keep an eye on it maybe it will be One only red bargain £350 by the end of Jan!
I must be missing something because I can’t see what this camera can offer. It is squarely aimed at the first time user. The future ability to mount a few different lenses isn’t yet here (No adaptors) and on that subject I agree with the points so well made by Attila.
Like koji I would like a shirt pocket size camera with a very
good IQ and I would also want a full range of real photography features. The G1 or anything like that it isn’t that camera. I would not even swap my Ricoh GX100 for one let alone consider it as a better option than an entry level Canon, Pentax, Nikon or Olympus DSLR.
I just can’t take it seriously at all. Red suits it. Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No vote. Crop factor.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think most Micro 4/3 customers are people who think the Canon 1000d, Pentax M, etc ... are too big, and they have heard that cameras with removable lenses will give better quality.

Most of these buyers want an AF lens, which is small, but also have a huge zoom range ( ... but, i am not sure if that is possible??)

It happens to be that this design also has a very short registration distance, so it can handle almost any manual focus lens.

The adapter should not be a problem, that is just a piece of alu, but i guess the quality is just not good enough to get the potential out of the lens.

Also, the 2x crop is also not fun, all MF lenses will become TELE, SUPER TELE, and SUPER SUPER TELE lenses Laughing

The wait is for a lesser crop or even FF Micro 4/3 (is that possible?)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem is that many users (even those who buys DSLR) don't know what is focal length. They want to know, which zoom does the lens have and if you say them "5x", they don't care if the lens is 15-75 or 35-175... All they want is zoom. Lenses like 17-70 or 14-40 are crappy according to them, because they need 20x zoom (at least!). Why to bend down, if you can snap the little flower with zoom 20x. Never mind nobody will recognize, what is on the picture, because they can always decribe, what's on the picture

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hk300 wrote:
The wait is for a lesser crop or even FF Micro 4/3 (is that possible?)

Pentax/Samsung have already stated they will be bringing out a shorter registration distance design and they already have some lenses ready for production. Just after Olympus made their first announcement they said they had been working on similar designs for a while.
Canon have also said they are looking at it. These cameras will be APS sensors not 4/3. They will be Micro APS.
I very much doubt there will be a FF sensor version in the near future (3-5 years) even Leica couldn't manage it.
There is still a problem getting good performance with sensors when the light strikes them at acute angles. But the biggest proplem we have is getting a manufacturer to put a good eye level optical finder on a camera. If only they would do some simple market research and take a P & S camera fitted with a bright life size viewfinder on the streets and ask the public if they prefered squinting at an LCD or looking through the big viewfinder! It isn't rocket science, even a disposable film camera has a better viewfinder than most digital cameras. Clear as a bell just like real life!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe when it is possible to use pentax A110 lenses

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerrit wrote:
Maybe when it is possible to use pentax A110 lenses

What are Pentax A110 lenses? Can you post some pics and information?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smaller register distance of rangefinders supposedly give them an optical advantage over SLRs and ensures the use of the widest range of lenses.
Using my Minolta A2 I had learned the many advantages of a good electronic viewfinder.
When I started using my dSLR it was a downgrade in many respects but still prefer using it for the advantages of the bigger sensor, that is narrow depth of field and OOF rendering and high ISO performance.

I mirrorless interchangeable lens camera with an electronic viewfinder seems to combine all the advantages.
I believe that this design will dominated future camera designs and there soon will be others using APS-C sensors.

However I do not have any experience of using an electronic viewfinder resp. live view for manual focusing.
I hope and believe that it will be even better for manual focusing than an optical viewfinder due to amplification.

I will not buy the Panasonic G1 but wait for another better EVIL ( electronic viewfinder interchangeable lens ) camera.
Hopefully there will be one with a tiltable EVF as on my A2 allowing for any angle shot without any strain on the neck.

cheers,
kuuan - andreas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am!
xxx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing You have it already ? Isn't it ?If yes please share your impression if not yet please tell use why you would like to take it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit that I returned to film shooting for 99% of the "pleasure" shots. Probably I'll buy a full frame digital camera in 2009 to use for commercial shots, but why spend over 500 euro on something that can be spanked by a 30 euro cheap Kiev 4 and some film rolls?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:
I must admit that I returned to film shooting for 99% of the "pleasure" shots. Probably I'll buy a full frame digital camera in 2009 to use for commercial shots, but why spend over 500 euro on something that can be spanked by a 30 euro cheap Kiev 4 and some film rolls?

I think same..