Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Micro FourThirds: e.g. panasonic G1 who is buying?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Micro FourThirds ... Will get one: Yes/No ?
Already bought one (pls state what other camera you are using and what lenses)
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
Planning to buy one soon (what lenses are you using? What body?)
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
Will buy if a certain mount adaptor will be avail (pls state which adaptor and how much you are willing to pay for an adaptor)
23%
 23%  [ 8 ]
not interested in MicroFourThirds (pls state why)
41%
 41%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 34

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll leave off buying one because the idea of an EVF is absurd if you are trying to focus manually, but it makes sense to the makers - for cheapness, much cheaper than building good RF optics.
Perhaps it's just me, but EVFs just don't cut it compared to decent optical VFs and RFs and maybe the latest generation is far better than I've seen so far, but I doubt it.
Having said that, for snapshot use, my old Fuji S7000 with its EVF is tolerable, but nothing more.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking seriously to give it a closer look.
EVF means no problems with misaligned focus screen and no dirt on it; 5x/10x magnifying on request (useful when focus with those wideangle lenses); possibility to increae brightness for very low light focusing; istant review: no need to take your eye away from the viewfinder for a quick review of the shot just taken; exposure istant feedback; less mechanical parts prone to break...

I'm used to work with pro grade camcorders, so the evf is not a novelty for me. And I don't hate it as many purist photographers Very Happy

Gaetano

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the benefits over Olympus DSLR if we can't use wide angle lenses as a wide angle lens ?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am tempted by the possibility of using some of my more unusual lenses on this camera, such as very fast Heligons (42mm f/0.75) and the Zeiss Vario-Tevidon 18-90/2 I received in the mail this week. Maybe for wide-angle the Tevidon 10/2 can be used, if it covers enough of the sensor. Penty of scope for experimentation. But I'd also like in-body stabilisation and movie capability, which may happen in the Olympus version and the next Panasonic respectively..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing is positive on m4/3: Owners of lenses like Sonnar 50/1.5, Zunow 50/1.3 or 50/1.1, Canon 50/0.95 etc. will be able to use their darlings on digital camera Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
One thing is positive on m4/3: Owners of lenses like Sonnar 50/1.5, Zunow 50/1.3 or 50/1.1, Canon 50/0.95 etc. will be able to use their darlings on digital camera Smile

Yes ... as their 'Tele' lens Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crop factor is ridiculous

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:

patrickh

I think nobody can make full frame right now this is the main trouble with this camera.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hk300 wrote:
no-X wrote:

Yes ... as their 'Tele' lens Laughing

100/1.5? Is it less interesting than than 50/1.5? I think it's even more interesting for shooting in dark conditions (e.g. concerts)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently an Olympus E-300 body is 200 USD+ a Takumar 50mm f1.4 another 60-70 USD or even cheaper. Result is same 100mm f1.4 under 300 USD. Why I pay for micro ? What is benefits over curiosity of rf lenses ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None for this moment. But Olympus announced some very fast and very small prime lenses. I think price of m4/3 cameras will fall shortly after launch of Olympus models.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very possible especially if they can't sell them well.
I really think a full frame developing would be better for Olympus than waste time and money on micro.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:

It could be quite interesting supplemental body to my SD14 for low-light situations.

Given the noise performance from reviews, the G1 seems more like a sunny-day camera than a low-light camera. Its a brave attempt, and the EVF seems to have improved compared to those from a few years ago.

I'm "keeping an eye on" the format. But more is needed for it to be viable, either to tempt me away from an SLR as a main camera, or to use as a small, pocketable camera that is taken more places than ones's SLR.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted not interested. I recently made the difficult choice to shed all my APS-C Pentax gear for a Sony A900 for depth of field considerations. As a person who enjoys maximum manipulation of depth of field effects in a reasonably sized camera, I'd have no interest in a 2x crop product.

I'd watch the format as I'd be keen to discover positive advances in live viewing, but a genuine 100% pentaprism is a very confident method of manual focusing I prefer to use.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I couldn't shoot at tierney Sutton concert due to the mirror sound so Micro 4/3 sounds great for me but for concerts I also need high ISO performance so you gain some, you loose some...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
no-X wrote:

It could be quite interesting supplemental body to my SD14 for low-light situations.

Given the noise performance from reviews, the G1 seems more like a sunny-day camera than a low-light camera. Its a brave attempt, and the EVF seems to have improved compared to those from a few years ago.

Everything (including high-end compacts) is better in low-light, than SD14 Smile

I used Panasonic FZ30 and if I compare the results in reviews, ISO200/400 of FZ30 is comparable to ISO800/1600 of G1. Thats quite sufficient to me. I don't need ISO6400 (how many people actually use this?). I also like Panasonic colors - their in-camera PP engines don't produce the syntethic oversaturated agressive and venomously looking greens Smile

I only wait for the right price.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newest Canons like 40D,50D performs very well with high ISO, for concerts I pickup these ones.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect price of G1 (body) will drop to 1/3 of actual value of 50D. There are 4 reasons:

1. new model (HD) will be available (older one will drop in price)
2. Olympus will compete with their products
3. inital hype will fall off
4. economic crisis will produce press on prices of all products

Canon has very interesting products, I always dreamt about Canon DSLR, but after I think over my priorities, I started to incline to Sigma and Panasonic products.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you will right a cheap 4/3 good for play.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voigtlander announced m4/3 adapter for Voigtlander and Zeiss lenses:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, so you can put an ultra-wide heliar on it. Of course, a 12mm lens isn't so wide on 4/3 (24mm, in 35mm equivalent FOV; 18mm, in DX equivalent FOV) but still, its a non-retrofocus wideangle and this is one body where the need for mirror lockup is not a problem.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:

On the one hand, yes (if shallow DOF and high-ISO low-noise are seen as primary requisites).

On the other hand, no, if deep DOF is more important and lighting can be arranged to allow the use of low ISO. ie, probably quite a nice camera for macro. Especially if your subject hapens to be moving, so focus stacking is not an option.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
I expect price of G1 (body) will drop to 1/3 of actual value of 50D. There are 4 reasons:

1. new model (HD) will be available (older one will drop in price)

As indeed happened: Panasonic DMC-GH1

It adds AVCHD video recording, with stereo sound and autofocus during video recording, and a new silent-focusing lens. The sensor is now 14MPx.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Bought and returned Reply with quote

Had severe focus issues - traced back to faulty camera (mis-aligned focus path) and found whilst I did not have it I did not miss it, having more fun playing with my ancient Canon A-1, so told them to keep it!

I think I will await generation 2 from Olympus, who will hopefully have profited from the mistakes made in the first generation from panasonic?

Doug.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As some of you know, I'm a tilt-shift junkie. So, if I can have something like this:

Click here to see on Ebay

With a range of lenses from wide to medium-tele, at this compact size, then HELL YES, I will buy a micro-4/3 body.

I'm keeping my eyes open for the NX system, too, though. If they can maintain a flange focal distance that is shorter than, say Leica L-mount, hence allowing adapters for all the L and M mount lenses, then I'd prefer the NX with an APS-C sensor over micro-4/3