Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya 6 folder
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Mamiya 6 folder Reply with quote

I found a Mamiya 6 folding 6x6 RF camera at a camera show for $40. Shutter working and Zuiko
75/3.5 (4 element) lens in clean condition. Shutter speeds to 1/500. I will show more of the camera
when I finish working on it.

The main problem: a rather large hole in the bellows:

I tried a new method of patching. On the inside I glued an oversize patch cut from black gaffer tape.
On the outside I applied many coats of a product called Plasti-Dip which I first thinned with naptha.
I let each coat dry for about an hour before applying the next until it all looked fairly well blended in.
The black Plasti-Dip matches the look of the bellows pretty well. You have to look pretty closely to see
the patch.

I used a small paint brush to apply it and also painted it on the frayed corners of the bellows which
seemed to work well at sealing and strengthening them.

I haven't tested with film yet (still working on some other areas) but it passes the flashlight test
and folds properly and is flexible and strong.

The Mamiya 6 was made in a number of different versions. They are sturdy RF cameras with focusing
by moving the film plane forward and back via a rear thumb wheel. This makes it much simpler to
remove the lens groups for flood cleaning of the shutter if needed (not needed on this camera).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a great job! Thank you for sharing! I look forward pictures taken with this camera.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent repair, looking forward to the results!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

I have a couple of bellows that need the same type fix, thank you for the info.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job
Love to see a pic of the whole camera in this thread.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the whole camera. I still have some cosmetic clean-up to do and
replacement of cracked front VF cover glass and possibly rangefinder
adjustment (though it appears OK so far). All mechanics are functional so
I'm lucky there.

I believe it is the Model IV of the series. It has film plane focusing (a neat
feature in itself), auto stop on each film frame, frame counter, double
exposure prevention via red flag in viewfinder, Seikosha-Rapid shutter
1 - 1/500 + B, Zuiko "F.C." (?) 75mm/3.5 (4/3) lens, 10-blade diaphragm
and flash sync post.

There were a number of different models in the Mamiya 6 series with
various lenses and shutters. It has a hefty, sturdy build and is a nice choice
for a 6x6 folder I think.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is fantastic! Smile
I'm looking very much forward to your results.
I can't believe I've never seen one of these before nor read about them.
It seems like a very sweet little camera!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job on those bellows. I've been looking for Plasti-dip here for other cameras too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been after one of these but not able to win one so far. Nice work on the repair. I'll be interested to see how you go with it.

I've never understood why you guys over the pond call it a flash light when it gives continual light. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finally put a roll through my Mamiya 6 while on a short trip to Florida. Nothing very artistic
but the camera seems to work fine and without light leaks. The lens is subject to flare though as
many lenses of this vintage are.

HP5+/HC110

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a fine one really, congrats again!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah looks good at this distance.
Do you have some closer ?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: mamiya 6 rangefinder wanted Reply with quote

please let me know if there is a good condition mamiya 6 for sale. thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: mamiya 6 rangefinder wanted Reply with quote

jcamerab wrote:
please let me know if there is a good condition mamiya 6 for sale. thanks

Not to be pointy-nosed, but there's a vast difference between the Mamiya
Six folder and the Mamiya 6, which is a relatively modern medium format
RF that uses interchangeable lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since seeing my first Mamiya 6 at a camera show about 20 years ago -- a camera that the dealer wanted a significant chunk of change for -- I've always been intrigued with those cameras. I've seen photos taken with them before, and I think you'll be happy with yours. The old 6 is an excellent picture-taker.

Speaking of camera dealers wanting a chunk of change!
Click here to see on Ebay
Seems like these folks are usually on the high side with their prices.

And great job on the bellows! I too have some black gaffer's tape and some black Plasti-Dip, so I'll have to keep this repair in mind, next time a bellows hole problem appears.

Another useful task for Plasti-Dip is to repair pinholes in rangefinder shutters, especially the old Canon rf shutters. I've had to do it on my old Canon IIIa and it worked great.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: mamiya 6 folder wanted Reply with quote

just to clarify my last post, i am interested in a mamiya 6 folding camera-vintage 1940's-1950's