Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Life on forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
alex ph, you seem to think there is a problem. You seem to have a goal in mind. What is it, please?

I've seen a couple of groups and projects that stopped simply because of poor feedback during the low tide of activities. Members had things to share, just not enough motivated to do that. I am trying to understand if the forum is running this risk, which would be regrettable. If I understand right your effort to reanimate some older posts, you are thinking in the same direction.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
In some aspects even better than my Sony A7R II but still small enough to fit in my pockets. In addition it's cheaper and offers more possibilities compared to any better smartphone for photography.
I'm looking forward to compare the results.

Wow, that souns intriguing! Looking forward.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
alex ph, you seem to think there is a problem. You seem to have a goal in mind. What is it, please?

I've seen a couple of groups and projects that stopped simply because of poor feedback during the low tide of activities. Members had things to share, just not enough motivated to do that. I am trying to understand if the forum is running this risk, which would be regrettable. If I understand right your effort to reanimate some older posts, you are thinking in the same direction.

The older posts were missed when they were new. Worth imho adding to the knowledge base by leveraging the contemporary.

The forum appears top of Google and other search engines due to a lot of behind the scenes work by Attila.

There is much customization to the phpBB which makes upgrades a lot of work. There are various paths to take for upgrading. These range from grinding out the old code for new to making this site read-only while beginning a new site with more current software.

The search function is sometimes inadequate, however essential to find posts in the non-publc sub-forums such as Photographer's Cafe. Search engines do a better job of finding relevant posts also because they index the text of messages, not just topics. Most search engines will search mflenses.com only by including
Code:
site:mflenses.com
with the search terms.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This forum is having the same problem as so many others:
A clique of longtime members who think they rule the place and who behave as if they are the undisputed kings who have to be treated will all possible respect.

It's because of them (and my very bad experiences with their reactions when I just started on this site) that I still hardly post anything here.
And I plan to keep it that way.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucse wrote:
A clique of longtime members who think they rule the place and who behave as if they are the undisputed kings who have to be treated will all possible respect.

It's because of them (and my very bad experiences with their reactions when I just started on this site) that I still hardly post anything here.

You must be referring to me in your thread http://forum.mflenses.com/isco-gottingen-tele-iscaron-135mm-f-2-8-t78437.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you a clique?

The fact that you take my post so personal proofs my point.

My post was not meant to anybody in personal.
But if the shoe fits.. feel free to wear it.

So, in fact you do prove what I am trying to make clear.
(Oversized egos that feel wrongly addressed is a characteristic of it).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucse wrote:

From http://forum.mflenses.com/isco-gottingen-tele-iscaron-135mm-f-2-8-t78437.html
Lucse wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
If you look for a sharp lens with good flare resistance, get a modern 135/2.8.

I have deleted my initial reaction.

Not only are you not able to read my question, but if that really is the best advise that you can give then I should not waist my energy in replying to it.

Why are you so unkind?

Lucse wrote:
Are you a clique?

The fact that you take my post so personal proofs my point.

My post was not meant to anybody in personal.
But if the shoe fits.. feel free to wear it.

So, in fact you do prove what I am trying to make clear.
(Oversized egos that feel wrongly addressed is a characteristic of it).

I think you are projecting...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: uncivil dialogues Reply with quote

Occasional rough advice does is not firm evidence for this conspiracy theory, and does not prove that this forum is governed by a malicious cabal.

Looking at the original squabble it appears that if one filters out the aggravation, some informative texts is contained and as always, digressions are fruitful and digging into the lode of knowledge here can lead on to interesting knowledge.

In the case of J.Schneiders ISCO I recommend looking at its early wideangle roots in the work of its ex-DDR lens designer..

The diatribe certainly inspired me to bring out my distantly related ISCO Edixa westromat 135 and take some snaps. Although without any sushade. and having to battle my NikonZs unfortunate tendency to move the focus point around at random, the results do not leave much to be desired-.

p.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to take a look every day.

I have purchased several new or used lenses during the past 12 months. Most were w/a or uw/a, with some emphasis on shift potential. That was (except for one) entirely or partly based on comments about them here. At the end of last summer I went out on two days, each time with several of them. I posted some results here.

The UK variations on lockdown have meant I couldn't do any more.

I think this will trump all excuses:

On 28 February I was in our kitchen when, to cut a long story short, I had a minor stroke or TIA. All I experienced was very slurred speech for a few minutes. I was taken by ambulance to A&E where scans found no bleed but quite a bit of reconfiguration of my small blood vessels. I have yet to discuss the consequences with my doctor but I feel no different than before the event and have no physical or mental impairment. (Maybe a poll on that? Very Happy).

As for my photography, I am prevented by law from driving for a month and then I need my doctor's opinion to restart.

As a special bonus, they told me I had been next to a COVID positive patient on arrival. so I am now self-isolating for a second week.

At the very least, I can do my macro in the rich resources of my garden.

There is a complication. My wife had started complaining, last year, about me, being old (75) and roaming extensive nature reserves by myself. I am probably not going to get away with that any more but have opportunities to join active groups.

That only caters for macro. Other lenses need a different tactic. My wife can't walk far but locations accessible by car should be open to me.

On the digital side, I have had my main 50mm repaired after replacing it. I have now purchased an as-new duplicate of my camera body. Years ago I invested in a stereo bar (no longer made) with the intention of shooting stereo pairs of moving subjects.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E6filmuser, I hope your long term health doesn't suffer from the effects of your TIA.

I too check in here nearly every day and due to this forum have accumulated far too many lenses. Rolling Eyes

There is a wealth of quality information here and that is part of the reason why I don't contribute as much as I used to. Nearly anything I need to know can be found here without duplicating queries. Having said that, I still enjoy browsing the forum as much as I ever did. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
E6filmuser, I hope your long term health doesn't suffer from the effects of your TIA.

I too check in here nearly every day and due to this forum have accumulated far too many lenses. Rolling Eyes

There is a wealth of quality information here and that is part of the reason why I don't contribute as much as I used to. Nearly anything I need to know can be found here without duplicating queries. Having said that, I still enjoy browsing the forum as much as I ever did. Smile

Thanks, Edgar.

I gave a link to this forum to a member in another one and he remarked what a superb resource it is.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
I tend to take a look every day.

I have purchased several new or used lenses during the past 12 months. Most were w/a or uw/a, with some emphasis on shift potential. That was (except for one) entirely or partly based on comments about them here. At the end of last summer I went out on two days, each time with several of them. I posted some results here.

The UK variations on lockdown have meant I couldn't do any more.

I think this will trump all excuses:

On 28 February I was in our kitchen when, to cut a long story short, I had a minor stroke or TIA. All I experienced was very slurred speech for a few minutes. I was taken by ambulance to A&E where scans found no bleed but quite a bit of reconfiguration of my small blood vessels. I have yet to discuss the consequences with my doctor but I feel no different than before the event and have no physical or mental impairment. (Maybe a poll on that? Very Happy).

As for my photography, I am prevented by law from driving for a month and then I need my doctor's opinion to restart.

As a special bonus, they told me I had been next to a COVID positive patient on arrival. so I am now self-isolating for a second week.

At the very least, I can do my macro in the rich resources of my garden.

There is a complication. My wife had started complaining, last year, about me, being old (75) and roaming extensive nature reserves by myself. I am probably not going to get away with that any more but have opportunities to join active groups.

That only caters for macro. Other lenses need a different tactic. My wife can't walk far but locations accessible by car should be open to me.

On the digital side, I have had my main 50mm repaired after replacing it. I have now purchased an as-new duplicate of my camera body. Years ago I invested in a stereo bar (no longer made) with the intention of shooting stereo pairs of moving subjects.

Do yourself a favor listen well to your doctor. The TIA can be very serious and cause all sorts of........well bad things. My father suffered a condition that manifested itself as repeated TIA that led to a slow but serious decline of mental acuity ending in the inevitable. He made it worse by poo-pooing the medical advice given. Please take care it was horrible. I became his caregiver for the last 7 years of his life 'cause Mom could not afford professional care for him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HansMoleman wrote:

Do yourself a favor listen well to your doctor. The TIA can be very serious and cause all sorts of........well bad things. My father suffered a condition that manifested itself as repeated TIA that led to a slow but serious decline of mental acuity ending in the inevitable. He made it worse by poo-pooing the medical advice given. Please take care it was horrible. I became his caregiver for the last 7 years of his life 'cause Mom could not afford professional care for him.

Absolutely! My wife is developing worrying signs (short-term memory) and I have concerns for which of us might be looking after the other in the medium to longer term.

My blood pressure is returning to previous (controlled) levels. One step at a time.

The consultant said that a repeat was unlikely but possible. I will be making it clear to my doctor that I don't want unwarranted reassurance.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life will go high and low. I learn most of my knowledge from the member here. Some of the members helped me a lot. I wish my contribution helps the others too. Wink

I will try to post more lens samples later. There are many lenses in my dry cabins waiting for testing... Laugh 1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

I will try to post more lens samples later. There are many lenses in my dry cabins waiting for testing... Laugh 1

Very good idea Wink ... and don't forget to post a nice pic of the lens itself Wink

S

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Kung Fu Reply with quote

Professor Wae Shui of San Francisco wrote:
Blood is the most important substance for healing any part of the body. But the blood cannot move itself -- Qi moves the blood.

When you consciously relax a part of the body, the capillaries there are relaxed allowing for more blood flow. Imho, this is what is meant by Qi moves the blood.

With low blood volume, the pressures rise, the blood is thicker, and can coagulates. Circulation becomes sluggish.

One cause of low blood volume is dehydration which itself has various causes such as not enough fluid intake or kidney disease.

Sluggish circulation suggests more activity, however less frequent sedentary habit will often be more beneficial. Walk a little more. Five minute standing/moving breaks for each hour of sitting, for example.

Cayenne opens the capillaries; Garlic thins the blood; Onions clear the lungs for better oxygen flow into the blood.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:

Absolutely! My wife is developing worrying signs (short-term memory) and I have concerns for which of us might be looking after the other in the medium to longer term.

fwiw, it seems everyone is developing (hopefully temporary) memory issues as a result of the pandemic stress and quarantine isolation, just saw an article about it today

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
My blood pressure is returning to previous (controlled) levels. One step at a time.

That sounds good, and you move well. Have a smooth rehabilitation!

To my eyes this wise and rational attitude is another confirmation of qualities people of the forum dispose, in photography as in a wider range of life situations.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the weirder military/industrial etc surplus items I'm interested in, its usually spread out across a few places (here/dpreview adapted lenses/nikongear etc) where a handful of particularly active users are. I wish I could get them all in one place, as is done with many successful Facebook groups, but for the time being I can just about keep up with where people are.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucse wrote:

It's such a shame that you feel this way. But if it's the way you feel, then it's the way you feel. Something that helped me feel more part of the board and more invested in it was becoming a supporting member. You know, giving something back monetarily to help keep the forum going. I don't know if you noticed Lucse, but last year, Attila had problems keeping things going. It's not a given that this forum will always be here, and it's donations from users that helps keep it going.

Have you thought about donating a small something to the site? It may help you feel more part of it. It's just a thought. I hope you have better experiences in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This forum is a good resource when someone posts first-hand information on lenses.
Klaus is a stand-alone resource. I've picked up some rare lenses, typically very little information available.

http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-series-1-35-85mm-f2-8-kiron-made-t6344.html
I picked up a Vivitar 35~85/2.8 Series 1 not long ago, tried to find into on it before doing the Ebay BIN. I hit the above thread started by Attila in 2008. Was an old thread, did not post on it. I was happy to see it bubble to the top as I could post some pictures to it. I also picked up very useful information posted this day on that old thread, I'll quote it here:

Phalbert wrote:
Good buy !
One of my very favorite lenses. By now we all know the goods and bads of that one but I just want to share a tip. I had 2 of them sent to be fixed for small issues. Big mistake. Both of them basically fell apart when the guy opened them. There are some white plastic guides somewhere in there, and as long as the lenses were whole they worked. Once opened they fell apart and there is no way (he showed me and said it's old age...) the lenses could be put back together. I'm still looking for a bargain in AI mount. Wink

SO- thread from 2008 bubbles to the top, gets useful information on it and now some sample images.

But- also posted,
D1N0 wrote:
Is it resurrect failed threads from the dead day?

D1N0 wrote:
Yeah now it has become a super useful thread, or should I say useless?

These types of unnecessary remarks put people off. I did not post to the thread when I first found it. This is why. Once it bubbled, and had very useful information posted- time to contribute.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any forum or community cannot avoid controversy. What I found here, as positively compared to many other places, is a short tension cycle. People who contribute here do not mostly find pleasure in holy wars. So, when a tension happens, it serves mostly to pick up the feed of relevant conversation in order the exchange to come back to its meaningful and joyful dimension.

Eggplant, that's a nice utopian idea, to find everything you are interested in most in one place. I imagine there are possibilities with the newest sotftware to produce kind of macroextensions whih pick for you thematic posts from different forums and assemble it for you in a kind of feedreader. But this does not contribute much to active community maintaining, as this kind of selection gives you what you already know and wish.

I was asking myself if it could be a good idea of adding to the forum a simple plugin which permits to comment from for example facebook accounts, for those who are logged in. That makes it easier to contribute, but it would also modify quite considerably the structure of authorship, as many of us enjoy this place as a place of detachment, and not of personal and constant all-inclusive presence (which is the facebook model).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is difficult now for me to recall with precision the timing. Will do my best:

I acquired my first MF lenses, before joining this forum, owing to gut instinct and in the face of a massive dose of MF lens ignorance.

"Gut instinct" in this instance refers to the fact the lenses were insanely inexpensive. I was risking so little money for (what seemed to me) such nice lenses that I bought them anyway, without regard I had no idea how to use them and no immediate need. Those, my fellow MF lens admirers, were truly the halcyon days. Oh God if only I could go back and know then what I do now. It cannot be.

By the time I finally joined here, perhaps several years later, things had already begun to deteriorate. But there were still bargain MF lenses out there available for purchase and I was able to snag a couple hundred with help from knowledge gained here. It was late but not horribly so. It was still fun.

Fast forward to the present. It has been rather a long time since I have purchased a lens. Cannot honestly remember my most recent purchase. I do keep up the search, though, on a daily basis. But the wonderful, crazy, bargains available circa 2005 (plus or minus) are sadly long gone. Sad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
It is difficult now for me to recall with precision the timing. Will do my best:

I acquired my first MF lenses, before joining this forum, owing to gut instinct and in the face of a massive dose of MF lens ignorance.

"Gut instinct" in this instance refers to the fact the lenses were insanely inexpensive. I was risking so little money for (what seemed to me) such nice lenses that I bought them anyway, without regard I had no idea how to use them and no immediate need. Those, my fellow MF lens admirers, were truly the halcyon days. Oh God if only I could go back and know then what I do now. It cannot be.

By the time I finally joined here, perhaps several years later, things had already begun to deteriorate. But there were still bargain MF lenses out there available for purchase and I was able to snag a couple hundred with help from knowledge gained here. It was late but not horribly so. It was still fun.

Fast forward to the present. It has been rather a long time since I have purchased a lens. Cannot honestly remember my most recent purchase. I do keep up the search, though, on a daily basis. But the wonderful, crazy, bargains available circa 2005 (plus or minus) are sadly long gone. Sad

Exactly the same here. I got my first Nikon FE2 on 2003 and started to collect many Vivitars and some Soligors (only Nikon AI and no interest to other brand makers at all) until 2006. My MF lenses kind of hibernated for more than a decade. I also mistakenly thought those MF lenses were no use for digital age. Until maybe sometime in 2017 when I searched Vivitar or Soligor again, I noticed many times Google search showed me this forum. I occasionally checked things here. Somehow I read that MF lenses can be adapted to NEX. Then I started my GAS again. I wish I had started with M42 lenses then I would have known the adapted lens concept earlier. About 20 years ago, ebay probably had Vivitar 100mm or 105mm macro every day. But I was only interested in the 90mm f/2.5. Nowadays the 100mm and 105mm macro are pretty rare. During the period that NEX was not that popular, I roughly remembered a Nikon lens only cost $5. I once got a Soligor 200mm f/2.8 for $2 plus $10 shipping... old golden days are gone...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much left when this became a forum mainly to push sales on ebay. That doesn’t seem to be the case anymore though.

But coming back to it from time to time just to see if something interesting is going on.

I personally think the forum needs a thorough revamp.

The thing is, this forum is called MFlenses. I think it is a bit of a shame that there is like one subforum focussing on mflenses(this one). Most of the other subforums are pretty much dead weight (as proven by the fact that a lot of them are completely inactive).
It is also difficult to find something. I would rather have the manual lenses split up. Wide angle, fifties, Tele, zoom, macro. So that if you want to find yourself a good wide angle lens you can easily find the topics on wide angle lenses instead of digging through a huge amount of discussions.

And even though I have continued with using and buying mf lenses, the motivation to really test them and post them here is not really longer there because by now, pretty much every lens has been tested right?

I learned a lot here though and it is absolutely a great community with super friendly people that all share the same passion. It is still a great resource and I will continue to pop in from time to time.

I will try to post more often.

Happy Dog