Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Life on forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

Go to http://forum.mflenses.com/ notice the link "View posts since last visit" which lists new posts from ALL of the sub-forums. Smile

Though that doesn't solve the problem of watering down the conversations by spreading them so widely. Even now, much of the site's posting goes on within this board.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaeger wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

Go to http://forum.mflenses.com/ notice the link "View posts since last visit" which lists new posts from ALL of the sub-forums. Smile

Though that doesn't solve the problem of watering down the conversations by spreading them so widely. Even now, much of the site's posting goes on within this board.

I don't understand.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazer0ne wrote:
Doc Sharptail wrote:
There are plenty of fluff-free phbb boards around that have valid security certificates and control over quoted images.
Let's not over think this Wink

-D.S.

Like having a gear rail on a 1911...

You could, but why?

Lol! Gear rail Rolling Eyes

A much more likely comparison would be a Marbles sourdough front on a 39-A~ effective, but hardly a big fat hairy deal.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a GEAR forum (thats why also a GAS forum..).

Some do not buy each day a new(old) lens to talk about it.

Anyway, more talk about the gear - less time to take pictures.

So there are 2 different hobbies containing the very same gear.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
this is a GEAR forum (thats why also a GAS forum..).

Some do not buy each day a new(old) lens to talk about it.

Anyway, more talk about the gear - less time to take pictures.

So there are 2 different hobbies containing the very same gear.

It seems to me that a collector might be interested only in the physical attributes of a lens, or even just its rarity.

Someone contemplating purchase of such a lens to use it would generally like an idea of the quality/characteristics of the images produced by that lens. Better to see an image from someone who already owns the lens than to have to purchase it first. All the more so when considering more than one candidate lens.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with this forum, but some people always have to moan about something. Just be glad we have this resource and it is free of charge.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
There's nothing wrong with this forum, but some people always have to moan about something. Just be glad we have this resource and it is free of charge.

The forum itself is good. The mobile interface isn't.
I reported the problem to Attila in 2015 and it's been reported several times sense.
It has never been fixed.

That's one of the main reason I don't post anymore. I don't have home internet, only my mobile service.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I reported the problem to Attila in 2015 and it's been reported several times sense.
It has never been fixed.

That's one of the main reason I don't post anymore. I don't have home internet, only my mobile service.

It's a coding problem more complicated than it seems.

You can go to your Profile, tap link top of page, change Board Style to mfblack. Then it works with any device. Any problem with that? (I miss your posts!)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Just be glad we have this resource and it is free of charge.

Couldn't agree more!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
walter g wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

It has never been fixed.

You can go to your Profile, tap link top of page, change Board Style to mfblack. Then it works with any device. Any problem with that? (I miss your posts!)

Mfblack seems to automatically switch to desktop mode. No mobile mode version available.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
walter g wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

It has never been fixed.

Mfblack seems to automatically switch to desktop mode. No mobile mode version available.

Got it! I guess I've never used the Mobile version. I'll try it to understand problems better.

If anybody can document script fixes for Attila, perhaps he would test them on the test site.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visualopsins, thanks. I miss posting on the forum. Will try to post more.
The other reason I stopped posting is several back injuries which have been very slow to heal.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:19 am    Post subject: mobile wifi hotspot Reply with quote

no need for refotmat fofr small screens as most mobiles have a setting for sharing wifi, so one can use a normal computer while waiting for the search function to improve (or use the more finicky google method)

p.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there are many lurkers (like me, obviously). I'm sure I'm just one of many. This forum has always been a great source of information, but before I didn't really feel like I could add some value to the discussion,
with some members obviously knowing old lenses better than I do. I could ask questions, true, but I've found the answers by simply searching the existing topics (I hate to be the one to open a new topic that just
repeats the question that's been asked 78 times already). So far I've managed well like this, but I'll try to be more (can't be any less) active when I have something meaningful to say. I'm one of those people who'd
rather talk things over a coffee or during a nice (photo) walk, but in reality not all of us know people who share in the same hobby. Smile Anyway, hello everybody and thank you for this wonderful forum.

Dejan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dejan wrote:
Anyway, hello everybody and thank you for this wonderful forum.

Welcome Turtle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Dejan! Everyone has some bits of experience to enrich the common knowledge. You are right saying that it's more about the form of sharing. Don't hesitate to try and try not to be disappointed!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Dejan! Happy Dog

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Dejan

Welcome all lurkers!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for the kind welcome!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
If anybody can document script fixes for Attila, perhaps he would test them on the test site.

The best option would be to switch the forum software itself. Another forum I often frequent switched to https://xenforo.com/ a while back to good success. Works good on mobile.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RnR wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

The best option would be to switch the forum software itself. Another forum I often frequent switched to https://xenforo.com/ a while back to good success. Works good on mobile.

That would break all the Google links, Google would de-rate the site. Attila worked very hard behind the scenes to get mflenses links to the top of Google searches. All that work would be lost. The site would take a long time to work back up to the top of searches. Maybe cause forum death...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
That would break all the Google links, Google would de-rate the site. Attila worked very hard behind the scenes to get mflenses links to the top of Google searches. All that work would be lost. The site would take a long time to work back up to the top of searches. Maybe cause forum death...
All that work might have been lost anyways. Google have been requiring https for websites for a long while now to get a good SEO.

https://security.googleblog.com/2014/08/https-as-ranking-signal_6.html

The forum software is from 2005. I truly hope mflenses.com won't be running on phpBB in 10 years time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
RnR wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

Link redirection could be done, if there are tools available. Missing a SSL cert. will hurt the rating more in the future.

BTW, the search keywords on the bottom of this forum is broken. It is likely these will have negative impact on the seo too.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, I like this forum a lot and have learned an awful lot from it. But I worry about its ability to attract future participants. If I go to a board and see that it's been weeks, or even months or years, since anyone has posted, I'm likely to think the site overall isn't worth visiting. I would collapse some of the lighter traffic boards into one board. For instance I would collapse the digital camera boards into one "all things digital" board. Probably the same with the film boards. Concentrate the posts to breathe life into those topics.