Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica Summilux 35 1.4 ASPH
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Leica Summilux 35 1.4 ASPH Reply with quote

I've been waiting to get a copy of the new version [11663] for many weeks now but the frickin lens gets sold the minute someone hears its available and Solms have me on the waiting list for 3 months :/

So, for the moment, I bought the 11874 version [available new for €500 cheaper than the 11663] which produces stunning images - the only difference is that it doesn't have the floating elements behind which supposedly makes one of the sharpest lenses ever made even sharper Rolling Eyes - I can live without and this version is supposed to have focus shift issues which my copy doesn't suffer from

Here are some first shots -> [comments/critiques equally welcome]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Hari,

Nice! Any focus shift that you notice?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a big thing to own a similar lens, congrats!! Another thing what is coming into my mind for photography need lights, good lights. I think light was too low to get good images or Summicron just not good ? If I compare Distagon 35mm f1.4 and these shoots they are not in same class. These shoots looks like to me taken with any ordinary lens, any.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude163 wrote:
Nice!

Thanks bud

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
Hey Hari,

Nice! Any focus shift that you notice?

Hey man! none noticeable so far. I haven't tried it on a ruler if that's what you mean. If I go for the right eye, I'm getting the right eye.

One of the shots is my niece pretending to take photos with a pink jar - I focussed on her and recomposed so she's towards the bottom left of the frame and the focus is still spot on

All of the above at f1.4

I'm currently on another continent for vacations, will do some lab tests when i'm back home

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
That is a big thing to own a similar lens, congrats!! Another thing what is coming into my mind for photography need lights, good lights. I think light was too low to get good images or Summicron just not good ? If I compare Distagon 35mm f1.4 and these shoots they are not in same class. These shoots looks like to me taken with any ordinary lens, any.

Thanks bud!

I've been shooting these in near darkness :/

It's incredibly hot here so i'm only going out late at night ... weather's 'sposed to get better tomorrow, will venture out and get some shots. Lets see if the situation improves.

One of the problems is - myself :/

I'm still shooting like this is a 50mm. If you notice, i'm not going for a 'scene' - i'm still going for 'a subject'

I wasn't too wowed by these images above ... they were nice - which is why I wrote some "first shots" cuz i'm expecting this lens to blow up my brains and cut my monitor when I open an image

If this fails, I have no choice ... the noctilux 0.95 it will have to be Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like to shoot near darkness, tripod and high ISO help lot more than any lens in my opinion. I look forward daylight shoots, I expect very good result.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hair congrats on the lens, im sure you will love it. i am sorry to ask, but do you notice a green cast to your shots, because thats what i see on my monitor? i think this is an m9 issue, as i remember orio talking about it whe he first received his m9. to me this is very distracting from any analysis of the lens (as well as disconcerting for a $3500 camera!)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
If you like to shoot near darkness, tripod and high ISO help lot more than any lens in my opinion. I look forward daylight shoots, I expect very good result.

Bad light, no tripod, low ISO and lots of red wine didn't help some shots there Laughing

I'll go snag some typical leica pictures tomorrow - black&whites of unfortunate people who are not too well settled financially

Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
hair congrats on the lens, im sure you will love it. i am sorry to ask, but do you notice a green cast to your shots, because thats what i see on my monitor? i think this is an m9 issue, as i remember orio talking about it whe he first received his m9. to me this is very distracting from any analysis of the lens (as well as disconcerting for a $3500 camera!)

thanks man!

Hmmmm i'm on a laptop and i'm not able to tell

From pic 4 down there is a lot of green anyway so its hard for me to see but pic 3 seems OK on my screen

Do you see it displayed differently on your screen? Could you please take a screenshot and PM it to me? I'll hafta buy a color checker if what ur saying is what it looks like on my machine at home

$3500? You're not talking abt the M9, are you?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bad light, no tripod, low ISO and lots of red wine didn't help some shots there

Take your presentation more seriously, what people think about you and Leica ? if they see similar shoots from a top camera set... under years hundreds or thousands of people will see it ..

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hari, they all have a very strong green tint to me. if you look at the walls of the last 2, the WB seems way off of white, same with the table in front tof the guy in the third from the bottom, as well as his shirt, and the little girls skin in the second, look way off to me.

just take one of those and try a custon WB fix inPP and see what you think...i think it will make a big difference.

orio had to create a special profile for his PP w this cam as i recall...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The green problem with the M9 was not a cast problem, rather a profile problem, in that the greens as they came out the camera were too bright and too saturated. The other colours were ok. A custom profile corrected it for me, but it is possible to obtain the same result by manually tweaking the green and yellow channels of Lightroom.
Here in these pictures, however, the problem is different: there is a strong green cast problem, that affects all colours and not just greens. I believe it depends on the wrong white balance. I did balance the white in one of the pictures and the result is more realistic:

Of course I could have done more it I operated on a RAW file, but still I think the image proves the point. When a cast afllicts all colours, it's 99 times out of 100 a white balance problem.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

much different photo now! you can see the lens after orios corrections!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
The green problem with the M9 was not a cast problem, rather a profile problem, in that the greens as they came out the camera were too bright and too saturated. The other colours were ok. A custom profile corrected it for me, but it is possible to obtain the same result by manually tweaking the green and yellow channels of Lightroom.
Here in these pictures, however, the problem is different: there is a strong green cast problem, that affects all colours and not just greens. I believe it depends on the wrong white balance. I did balance the white in one of the pictures and the result is more realistic:

Of course I could have done more it I operated on a RAW file, but still I think the image proves the point. When a cast afllicts all colours, it's 99 times out of 100 a white balance problem.

Definitely a very good improvement! many thanks Orio! Do you like the color checker tool? I'll toss one in the bag and set my LR up for it.

I also use Capture One for photos taken with the M9 and will check if that programs corrects there errors

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Quote:
Bad light, no tripod, low ISO and lots of red wine didn't help some shots there

Take your presentation more seriously, what people think about you and Leica ? if they see similar shoots from a top camera set... under years hundreds or thousands of people will see it ..

Good point - i'll feed some better ones into this thread.

the discussion so far will probably already help some people who see the green cast on their images

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the atmosphere of the pics, and some are quite good especially if you take the shutter speed into account, e.g. 1/30 Smile

The second pic (dad on a swinging bench) may show some focus shift, because the chains in the background are tack sharp and show no motion blur.

Unless it was mis-focused in the first place, but back focusing does happen when stopping down with quite some lenses.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hari wrote:

Definitely a very good improvement! many thanks Orio! Do you like the color checker tool? I'll toss one in the bag and set my LR up for it.

Yes, it's very helpful.
You can obtain similar results with manually editing colour channels in Lightroom, but it's much more time consuming. Creating a profile is as fast as taking a photo and you can reuse it any time when the shooting conditions are the same.
It is however very important to properly balance the white with M9 images.
The best way is to use the color Checker and pick the white or the gray square there with Lightroom, then "copy settings" over all the images taken in the same lighting conditions. This is best to be done at the beginning of the editing session. Do not rely on white objects in the scene - they may work roughly, but if fine precision of colour hues is what you are after, only a proper tool can give you the perfect neutral colour.
Taking correct white balance + using a custom profile is the key to perfect M9 images.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Hari wrote:

Yes, it's very helpful.
You can obtain similar results with manually editing colour channels in Lightroom, but it's much more time consuming. Creating a profile is as fast as taking a photo and you can reuse it any time when the shooting conditions are the same.
It is however very important to properly balance the white with M9 images.
The best way is to use the color Checker and pick the white or the gray square there with Lightroom, then "copy settings" over all the images taken in the same lighting conditions. This is best to be done at the beginning of the editing session. Do not rely on white objects in the scene - they may work roughly, but if fine precision of colour hues is what you are after, only a proper tool can give you the perfect neutral colour.
Taking correct white balance + using a custom profile is the key to perfect M9 images.

Just saw your reply ... work's been stormy lately so no time to engage in the little pleasures of life :/

Thanks for the advice, Orio - i got the color checker, hopefully find time to put it to good use soon!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_c wrote:
I like the atmosphere of the pics, and some are quite good especially if you take the shutter speed into account, e.g. 1/30 Smile

The second pic (dad on a swinging bench) may show some focus shift, because the chains in the background are tack sharp and show no motion blur.

Unless it was mis-focused in the first place, but back focusing does happen when stopping down with quite some lenses.

Thank you! Smile

I actually did focus on the chains and not on my brother Laughing

The infant was sleeping so the bench was still - easier to focus on the chains than on my brother or his little brat who was running around all the time before finally being "captured" for a second for me to take the shot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey hari, good to hear from you again! was wondering where youve been. look forward to some more m9 work...
tony

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
hey hari, good to hear from you again! was wondering where youve been. look forward to some more m9 work...
tony

Hi Tony!

Nice to be back here after a few stormy weeks/months at work

I posted some recent shots with the M9 + 35 'lux in the portraits section but will repost them here too

Wrt the last shot, I need to check if the m9's sensor got dirty or if the airplane window was dirty - in any case, since im no photoshop expert, any tips on how to "cleanse" the spots?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.4 is an absolute cracker of a shot! No.6 is pretty good too!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

really like the third one and fourth one Hari.